JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My question would be what situations are you preparing for? In my case it's hunker down and stay put in my house or I'm stuck in a snow bank in my truck. If it comes to a grab and go the blue hats are coming I'll just grab my rifle and fill my pockets with ammo and start from there. I'm old, fat and slow, my days of running with a ruck are long past.
For the truck, first off I don't wander too far away from it, maybe a mile or two walk up an old logging road is the extent of hiking for me these days. So I don't carry any more than a day pack with a sandwich and bottle of water in it but it's real purpose is to bring back any Grouse or Chantrelles I might harvest back. Next is I'm always armed. I don't have a dedicated truck rifle and maybe I should but I don't want to store any firearms in my truck. So whatever I have that day I put in there that day and take it out when done with my adventure. Packed in the truck is pioneering tools, axe, shovel, pick, bow saw, 5lb hammer, crow bar, that kind of stuff. Also MRE's, a stainless steel mess kit and coffee pot for heating water. it's easier to pour water out of the coffee pot than a regular pot. Tarps for shelter a couple wool blankets and a poncho liner for warmth. Garbage bags for an outer layer. Paracord, firstaid kit, a couple ways to start a fire. My thought would be to make a three sided with roof shelter out of the tarps as a stay dry and warm area with an ever going fire in front. We're talking stuck in a snow bank so the idea is to have a plan to stay busy rather than think it's a good idea to wander off looking for help. One thing I might add is a water filter, I was planing on just boiling water but a good filter might keep the big chunks out.

My question would be what situations are you preparing for? In my case it's hunker down and stay put in my house or I'm stuck in a snow bank in my truck. If it comes to a grab and go the blue hats are coming I'll just grab my rifle and fill my pockets with ammo and start from there. I'm old, fat and slow, my days of running with a ruck are long past.
For the truck, first off I don't wander too far away from it, maybe a mile or two walk up an old logging road is the extent of hiking for me these days. So I don't carry any more than a day pack with a sandwich and bottle of water in it but it's real purpose is to bring back any Grouse or Chantrelles I might harvest back. Next is I'm always armed. I don't have a dedicated truck rifle and maybe I should but I don't want to store any firearms in my truck. So whatever I have that day I put in there that day and take it out when done with my adventure. Packed in the truck is pioneering tools, axe, shovel, pick, bow saw, 5lb hammer, crow bar, that kind of stuff. Also MRE's, a stainless steel mess kit and coffee pot for heating water. it's easier to pour water out of the coffee pot than a regular pot. Tarps for shelter a couple wool blankets and a poncho liner for warmth. Garbage bags for an outer layer. Paracord, firstaid kit, a couple ways to start a fire. My thought would be to make a three sided with roof shelter out of the tarps as a stay dry and warm area with an ever going fire in front. We're talking stuck in a snow bank so the idea is to have a plan to stay busy rather than think it's a good idea to wander off looking for help. One thing I might add is a water filter, I was planing on just boiling water but a good filter might keep the big chunks out.
Maybe an addition to consider... I've always carried a good farm jack and tow line. That'll get ya out of a lotta jams. I also carry a come-along and might be a good option if space/weight considerations preclude a farm jack.

Just tossing an idea. I don't use them often, but more than a few times over the years and sure glad I had them. Using a farm jack as a come-along you can get some insane amounts of torque going.

Maybe an addition to consider... I've always carried a good farm jack and tow line. That'll get ya out of a lotta jams. I also carry a come-along and might be a good option if space/weight considerations preclude a farm jack.

Just tossing an idea. I don't use them often, but more than a few times over the years and sure glad I had them. Using a farm jack as a come-along you can get some insane amounts of torque going.
I do have tow straps and a come-along but no farm jack. They are a handy piece of kit that I've had before.

Trojan-Condoms.gif
No_Time_Fo_Dat.jpg

Aloha, Mark

PS.......
1697995532177.png

Our Go Bags are really Get Home bags. Some granola/protein bars, water bottle and lifestraw, three ways to make fire, and some fatwood, ponchos, and emergency blankets (one person and two person) that can double as shelter. Those are the three priorities, right? Food, water, and shelter/warmth. Then there are the obligatory first aid supplies (limited trauma kit), trail shoes, sweatshirt, rain gear, beanie/ballcap (depending on season), knit gloves, and extra socks. Handwarmers. 4"foldable knife and leatherman. We recently added a lightweight camo shirt and pants. Notepad and ink pen. Flashlight and spare glasses. The glasses have come in very handy. I wear contacts usually, but there have been times I've had issues with my contacts while at a friend's house, on long drives, or camping. It's great to know I can toss those contacts and put in legit glasses. Small contact solution bottle (2 oz) and case. edit: TP!! LOL

These bags stay in the truck at all times. If we get stuck in a snowstorm or end up off the road for some reason, we can likely survive a couple of days.
If we have engine issues or get stuck exploring backroads by ourselves with no cell signal, we will be fine for a bit. If it looks like S is HTF and we have to get out of AZ to get home, we will go as far as we can in the truck and then the e-bikes, and then walk the rest of the way, I guess. Who knows. It's unlikely we would be able to get home depending on how fast things happen, but at least there is a plan and awareness.

So to answer @oremike's question, we are preparing to get home.
We do need to prepare some evac bags at home in case of a forest fire, but we are in an open area, so it's not likely we would not know ahead of time that we may have to evac. We have a list of things to grab in that situation and who grabs what. But evac bags would have some clothes, toothbrushes, phone chargers, etc. Bugging out? We don't have anywhere to go except home.

Last Edited:
The great thing about the bags in the truck is that I regularly use the items in it. We are often at events where someone is cold and uses the sweatshirt/beanie/and/or gloves. I've used the contact lens solution to save a pair of lenses that had dirt on them and were extremely irritating. I've forgotten my glasses while camping, or we've decided to stay overnight somewhere last minute. Just this summer, we were biking the Hiawatha Trail, and my friend ate it really bad at the end coming back through the tunnel. Her clothes were covered in mud, and she had a broken finger. First Aid on site handled the finger, but I had the camo shirt in the truck, so she didn't have to wear that muddy, wet shirt the 90-minute drive home.

Last spring, I replaced all of the medications and ordered some extras for the various first aid kits. Some were 5-7 years old and obviously had not been kept in a controlled environment.

Oh, I also keep a small flask of bourbon in my bag. In case of snake bites.

I haven't read the whole thread, but in case no one's mentioned it, an item that might be handy to have and is often forgotten is insect repellent.

This seems like a heavy loadout for get-home with all the tools and electronics, but I recognize that everyone faces different potential needs depending on location and circumstances. The two things I recommend adding are water purification tabs and TP/wipes which have been said already. Where I am willing to add weight is an ultralight sleeping bag and waterproof, heat reflective bivvy.

I plan to be fast and light in order to minimize exposure by getting home as quickly as possible. For tools, I have a Leatherman Charge and my EDC folding knife. For electronics I have a small charger to top my phone off and then toss when I hit the road, and one charged extended-life battery for my radio. I envision most get-home scenarios to be those that won't allow phone use due to towers being inoperable. My food is high-calorie, ready-to-eat so I can eat on the go and not waste time cooking, although I do carry a small titanium cup and tea bags for moral support in cold weather. I'm also not a long gun guy when it comes to get-home because my goal is to not draw attention to myself, and I'll travel at night and on railroad tracks if possible to avoid contact with others, and to be moving at night when it's cooler/colder. Again, to each his own.
It sounds heavier than it looks. The bolt cutter is an 8" mini cutter (https://americanmutttool.com/products/mini-bolt-cutters), the wrecking bar is pocket-sized (https://a.co/d/8kDaPKM), and the hatchet is about a pound (https://a.co/d/6P8Zsdy). Overall everything is as light as I could get it without completely sacrificing capability. Haven't weighed the pack, but it's comfortable enough to carry around. Will have to try hiking around with it for a day and see if it gets too burdensome.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top