JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Update: Senate Judiciary Committee has postponed the meeting till tomorrow.

• That means you have one more day to let your rep, and the Senate Judiciary Committee members, to know where you stand.
  • Senator Roblan (Coos-bay) sounds like he has been non-committal on his vote. Be sure to help him decide! Let your friends know in Coos-Bay what he should do.
  • Be sure to let your friends know, so they can participate as well.

Please take 5-10 minutes to defend your 2A rights against the Gun-Control lobbyists. This may be your last opportunity to email or call the Judiciary Committee before they vote to move the bill forward (or not).

---------------------------------------------ToolBox---------------------------------------------
This is a bit long, but it is intended to give you all the tools and information you need to be an active participant this next week.

SB1551, which expands the current background check system to ALL sales, including private transactions, is scheduled to be heard this February 6th at 8-10am in Salem. Not surprisingly, the gun-control groups heard about it before the public and are encouraging their side to pack the hearing room (it still isn't public, so keep your ears open).

So what can you do? A lot more than you think! Be a part of the team, and not a sideline viewer. Your representatives DO listen. But you have to act.
”But they never listen” BULL. They do. I've heard more than once that public opinion does sway their positions.
Pick one thing below, pick them all. The important thing is that you do something to make your opinion known. Now be active and get something done! We need to get this done together.

1. Contact the state Senate Judiciary Committee and/or your Representatives
2. Be a leader, Plan to attend the hearing this Thursday, February 6th, from 8am to 10am
3. Take a few extra minutes to submit written testimony if you cannot attend.
4. Take the message to others!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Contact the State Senate Judiciary Committee today!
Senator Floyd Prozanski
Democrat - District 4 - South Lane and North Douglas Counties
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1704 District Phone: 541-342-2447
Email: [email protected]

Senator Betsy Close
Republican - District 8 - Albany
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1708
Capitol Address: 900 Court St. NE, S-303, Salem, Oregon 97301

Senator Michael Dembrow
Democrat - District 23 - Portland
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1723 District Phone: 503-281-0608
Capitol Address: 900 Court St. NE, S-407, Salem, Oregon 97301

Senator Jeff Kruse
Republican - District 1 - Roseburg
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1701 District Phone: 541-580-3276
Capitol Address: 900 Court St. NE, S-315, Salem, Oregon 97301

Senator Arnie Roblan
Democrat - District 5 - Coos Bay
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1705
Capitol Address: 900 Court St. NE, S-417, Salem, Oregon 97301

And/or send a message to your legislator!
Legislator Lookup

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Plan to attend the hearing this Thursday, February 6th, from 8am to 10am.

Take a friend and make it a road trip.
Information has already been leaked to the gun control activists before it being available to the public. Don’t let them get the upper hand, even if it is just to show up to show your support for your fellow 2nd amendment supporters.

Please plan to arrive no later than 7 a.m. for the 8 a.m. hearing time. The hearing will start promptly at 8 a.m., and end promptly at 10 a.m.
The capitol doesn't open until 7:30am, but those in line before then get first shot at seats and signing up for hearing testimony.
Parking Information:

Street parking is available at ten-hour, coin-operated meters located throughout the Capitol Mall. Bring extra coins for meters.

The Yellow Lot and the Green Lot are two parking lots which accept credit cards. They are located between Summer and Winter Streets and between Union and Center Streets.

3. Submitting Written Testimony about why you disagree with SB 1551
(Whether or not you attend the hearing or will speak).

The DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING WRITTEN TESTIMONY IS 5 PM ON Tuesday Feb. 6.
ANYONE IS WELCOME TO SUBMIT WRITTEN TESTIMONY FOR THE COMMITTEE HEARING.

SEND AN EMAIL TO: [email protected]

The email subject line should read "Written Testimony Against Senate Bill 1551"
And begin your statement with "Chair Prozanski, Members of the Committee"

Identify yourself and provide the name of the community you live in.

Make a few key points about why it is important for you to see this bill fail and not be adopted.
Focus your statement only on SB 1551

PERSONAL STATEMENTS ARE FAR MORE EFFECTIVE THAN FORM LETTERS.

IN ORDER FOR YOUR WRITTEN COMMENTS TO BE INCLUDED IN TESTIMONY THEY MUST BE IN .PDF FORM

IF you have attachments, ensure they are in .PDF format ONLY.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Get others involved!
  • Super-bowl halftime. Five minutes to protect your rights, or dip a few more chips? Which one will you regret if SB 1551 gets passed? Heck, if your buddies see you doing it, encourage them to do the same as well!
  • Pass this on to other website forums, gun ranges, other interested parties.
  • Start your own local group. It’s easier than you think.
  • Please circulate this announcement and urge others to attend or supply written testimony.

Want to make your own statement, but don't know what to write?

Here's some starters that are short and sweet. Tweak it, copy it, make it your own

I'm telling you, if you can send an email, 5 MINUTES is all it takes. Don't be one of those "why did they pass that law? I should have said something sooner" side-liners.

And remember, if you want your written testimony as part of the hearings this Thursday,
the email should be addressed to the Senators. And the written testimony must be received no later THAN TUESDAY AT 5PM. The email should be sent to [email protected]. us and should contain the subject header "Written Testimony in Opposition to SB 1551"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Senator,
I urge you to vote NO on SB 1551. This bill is a registration scheme pure and simple. It does nothing to prevent felons from getting guns but is an unwarranted invasion of my privacy.
Vote against any restrictions on private transfers.
Yours,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Senator,
SB 1551 requires that virtually all private transfers of firearms receive the approval of the State Police. I find that to be offensive and intrusive. Currently qualified buyers at gun dealers are waiting weeks and even months to be "approved" by the police to exercise a basic right. I strongly oppose extending this to private transfers and gifts.
Yours,
Dear Senator,
SB 1551 is one of the most poorly crafted pieces of legislation I have ever seen.
Under this bill an uncle can give a gun to his nephew but the nephew cannot return it without subjecting his uncle to a background check!
Under this bill I could not give a hunting rifle to my own father-in-law!
If my gun club allows someone taking a safety class to use one of our club owned guns, we'd be required to run a background check on the student and transfer the gun for the duration of the class. The student would then have to do the same to return it! This is lunacy.
Yours,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Or here are some resources to craft our own!

The Case Against Gun Background Checks - ABC News
<broken link removed>

Oregon doesn't need to expand gun background checks | The Oregon Catalyst
http://oregoncatalyst.com/26170-oregon-expand-gun-background-checks.html

Oregon media peddling partisan background check poll | The Oregon Catalyst
http://oregoncatalyst.com/26243-oregon-media-peddling-partisan-background-check-poll.html

Colorado recalls: voter polling that matters | The Oregon Catalyst
http://oregoncatalyst.com/26265-colorado-recalls-voter-polling-matters.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some other points, backed up with data

"DOJ report:Firearm-Related Murders Down 39 % Since 1993" , per "Firearm Violence, 1993-2011", U.S. Department of Justice special report, May 2013.

Fact vs. fiction on background checks and the gun control debate | Fox News

In 2010, there were 2393 denials in Oregon, but only 90 prosecutions. Either the remaining 2390 were not worthy of follow up by the Oregon Police, or they were false positives.

Last Edited:
Excellent thread.
Lets pray people heed this, because we are about to lose a lot if they don't. All apathy needs to be thrown out right now !
The left cannot be allowed to trample us any longer.

IT IS AN EASY NAME TO MIX UP THE SPELLING. [email protected]

Please try again.

No, that's not it. I took the email directly from the post. I know it was misspelled in my post above, but not on the original email. Here is the error message.

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<[email protected]>:
Remote host said: 550 5.1.1 <[email protected]>... User unknown [RCPT_TO]

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Done !

Ok it came back rejected as well.SB1551 was there along with others, but almost NO information on it. There's no text, just a very short overview, no updates and no mention of a hearing?

Funny - I went to the Legislator's website and found the bill, but very little information was posted about it, and NO updates. Just a very limited overview.
Hmmmm....Where is the information? Is there a place on the site to see an agenda?

Excellent thread.
Lets pray people heed this, because we are about to lose a lot if they don't. All apathy needs to be thrown out right now !
The left cannot be allowed to trample us any longer.
I've been watching the main page for a few days whenever I check in here at NWFA and it seems most people are 'viewing' the General Firearm Discussion, Handgun and Rifle & Shotgun Discussion, and the Classifieds. I know that there are some who come to NWFA for classifieds only, or perhaps the Discussion threads and many of them probably never check the legal and political. These people need to be reached.

Done !

Ok it came back rejected as well.SB1551 was there along with others, but almost NO information on it. There's no text, just a very short overview, no updates and no mention of a hearing?

Funny - I went to the Legislator's website and found the bill, but very little information was posted about it, and NO updates. Just a very limited overview.
Hmmmm....Where is the information? Is there a place on the site to see an agenda?

Let me know how that goes.

Ceasefire is using [email protected]

Please address the email within the text to:

Chair Prozanski, Members of the Committee

Identify your self and the community you live in. Ceasefire is focusing on:
1. Shutting down the growing internet gun marketplace
2. Close the loophole that makes it simple for criminals to get a gun.
3. Keep our law enforcement officers safer by slowing the trade of illegal guns.
4. Protect domestic abuse victims by preventing abusers from quickly obtaining guns.

Thank you for taking the time to write Senator Roblan and voicing your opposition with regards to SB 1551. He appreciates hearing from constituents on the issues of importance to them and their communities. I will certainly print a copy of your email for Senator Roblan's consideration during the upcoming legislative session. I can assure you that he will take your position under serious consideration.

Rosie Shatkin
Legislative Policy Advisor
Sen. Arnie Roblan, SD 5
(Coos Bay, Florence, Newport, Tillamook)
Office: 503.986.1705
Cell: 541.999.5327

I sent my third email to "[email protected]" a few minutes ago. I will continue to send emails up adn till 5 pm tomorrow which is the 5 pm deadline for written submissions. Please remember that all attachments must be in pdf format.

Please look at my 9:23 pm last night post. That post itemizes Ceasefire's targeted discussion. Maybe you can counter their arguments. Thanks.

Senator *-*,

Like you, I want to do whatever it takes to keep bad people from accessing guns. But SB-1551 will not accomplish this goal. Unfortunately, there are too many other ways for the bad guys to get firearms.

With all due respect, the State doesn't need to know anything about the kind of guns that law abiding citizens own. There are more effective ways of keeping weapons out of the wrong hands without infringing on the rights of good people.

Please vote no on SB-1551, and any restrictions on the private transfer of firearms.

Thank you very much,

My email to the members of the committee.

Senator *-*,

Like you, I want to do whatever it takes to keep bad people from accessing guns. But SB-1551 will not accomplish this goal. Unfortunately, there are too many other ways for the bad guys to get firearms.

With all due respect, the State doesn’t need to know anything about the kind of guns that law abiding citizens own. There are more effective ways of keeping weapons out of the wrong hands without infringing on the rights of good people.

Please vote no on SB-1551, and any restrictions on the private transfer of firearms.

Thank you very much,

My email to the members of the committee.

This is a very good email. Make sure it follows the proper format detailed in the above posts. It should be emailed to: [email protected] and addressed to: Chairperson Prozanski and Committee Members.

MAKE SURE YOU HIGHLIGHT IN THE EMAIL SUBJECT THAT YOU ARE SUBMITTING "WRITTEN TESTIMONY IN OPPOSITION TO SB 1551"

MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE YOUR FULL NAME AND COMMUNITY.

Thanks for the ideas of how to act. I just submitted my written testimony and will contact the committee and my representative again.

Friday of last week my wife and I stopped at a local gun store to buy a handgun. The hold time on the phone for the background check was in excess of 15 minutes so the poor pregnant lady had to go sit in the car. I made sure to highlight this very personal story and ask how SB 1551 planned to reduce hold times and pay for additional staffing to run the phone lines and process the records.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads