JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I received several Senate Judiciary Committee alerts by email and not one mentions SB 1551 that is supposed to take place on Thursday. It seems someone is playing games. Anyone receive an update from Ceasefire? I signed up a while back, but haven't had an email from them yet.

It seems a bit suspicious that the 6th is completely empty. What is the routine? Is it a non-committee work day? Must they give public notice? Anyone who's been around the block a few times have any experience?

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday have regularly scheduled meetings at 8:00 am. Tuesday Feb. 4th SB 1540 is scheduled to be heard at 8:45 am. Wednesday Feb. 5th SJR 203, SB 1508, SB 1517, and SB 1536 are scheduled to be heard at 8:00 am. Nothing scheduled for Thursday Feb 6th. Tuesday Feb 11th and Wednesday Feb 12th have bills scheduled also, but nothing for Thursday Feb. 13th. It could be that Thursday is an 'overflow' day, but it is still shady as f&^% the way it is going down!!!

Short and sweet, to each of the judiciary committee members:

Senators (name),

Oregon current is in the top 13 of the 50 states (and territories) as having the most inclusive of background checks. We do not have a background check problem. Of the 2393 denials in 2010, only 90 were deemed worth enough by the judicial system to warrant prosecution, with even fewer actual convictions.

Out of 168,259 background checks performed in 2010, only 0.05% (90) were denied and judged important enough to follow up on!
Meanwhile, overall crime continues it's trend of a 20 year decrease. And Oregon continues to have a gun-crime rate far less than the national average.

It looks to me like the current laws are working!

OREGON DOES NOT HAVE A BACKGROUND CHECK PROBLEM!!!!

This is a law looking for a problem to solve that doesn't exist.

Regards,

It seems a bit suspicious that the 6th is completely empty. What is the routine? Is it a non-committee work day? Must they give public notice? Anyone who's been around the block a few times have any experience?

Beware a midnight sneak through session.
I put nothing past them.

Deadline for filing "Written Testimony Opposed to SB 1551" c/o Senator Prozanski and Committee Members with your name and community must be emailed to: [email protected] by 5 pm today. Please keep up the fight! Thanks. tkdguy

Attachments must be in pdf format only.

Okay, well, the cockroaches have now finally scurried out and posted the notice on the OLIS page and scurried back into their garbage can.

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2014R1/Committees/SJUD/2014-02-06-08-00/Agenda

You're not going to believe this, but "They" aren't even required by law to hold ANY public hearings on ANY bill. It's a more or less formalized rule for Their Insectoid Majesties that they "have to" hold them, but really it's only fear of the peasant rabble out here (i.e., Us) that impels them to allow any public testimony on anything at all.

Since they're leftists, and leftists are cowards, what they've done here is an excellent example of how Legislative cockroaches operate in the dark by keeping us mere mortals in as much dark as possible for as long as possible. (More fulminations on that subject here:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/or...02-03-14-off-facebook-update.html#post1052183

)

Send these as well. I put "78% of Oregonians agree with SB 1551" in the subject line to give it a better chance of being read. Or make up your own that sounds vaguely in favor.
Senator Prozanski,

I am contacting you as an Oregon resident to tell you to be mindful of which bills you put forth and support. The highly biased, leading and flawed poll by Public Policy Polling shows that Oregonians support your travesty of a bill. Are you aware that the same company did a similar poll in Colorado and found similar results with PPP reporting that 73% of Colorado residents supported background checks for private sales? How did that end up for 3 of the bills supporters? In many respects Oregon and Colorado are similar. Both have citizens who are responsible, independent and thoughtful, both have one major city, a few medium sized cities and many smaller towns, and both have State governments lead by Democrats.

As Chairman of the Senate Judiciary, I am told that it is not illegal for you to tell anyone, including your supporters, of your plans to hear any particular bill before you tell the rest of the committee, but it is HIGHLY unethical to say the very least. You disgrace the political institutions of this great state by following these base behaviors. While I do not believe that the Democratic Party endorses these types of actions, their silence does point to complicity. If your bill cannot stand on its own merit in the light of day it should NOT be heard or considered in the first place.

I will send the same to Roblan and Dembrow. I think Roblan may be the most receptive to this and susceptible to consequences. I could be wrong as I don't know a whole lot about him or his district.
I am contacting you as an Oregon resident to tell you to be mindful of which bills you support. The highly biased, leading and flawed poll by Public Policy Polling shows that Oregonians supposedly support the policies that are in SB 1551 which is a travesty of a bill. Are you aware that the same company did a similar poll in Colorado and found similar results with PPP reporting that 73% of Colorado residents supported background checks for private sales? How did that end up for 3 of the bills supporters? In many respects Oregon and Colorado are similar. Both have citizens who are responsible, independent and thoughtful, both have one major city, a few medium sized cities and many smaller towns, and both have State governments lead by Democrats.

I am told that it is not illegal for the Chair to tell anyone, including his supporters, of his plans to hear any particular bill before he tells the rest of the committee, but it is HIGHLY unethical to say the very least. He disgraces the political institutions of this great state by following these base behaviors. While I do not believe that the Democratic Party endorses these types of actions, their silence does point to complicity. If his bill cannot stand on its own merit in the light of day it should NOT be heard or considered in the first place.

Update:
1) finally officially scheduled
2) Sounds like Mark Kelly (but no Gabby) will be showing up:

• He's not from our state and does not have to live by the bill, if passed.
  • The bill would NOT have an effect on what happened to his wife, or affect crime in Oregon (as evidence of current Oregon background check system/crime data/etc).
  • In 2010, out of 168,259 background checks performed in 2010, only 0.05% (90 cases) were denied and judged important enough to follow up on with charges! So either we don't have a "background check problem", or this is just politics.
  • He will most likely just say the same thing he's said at other hearings. If he has nothing new to add, give Oregon Citizens a chance to be heard instead.
  • Will the out-of-state-er, who is a lobbyist and not an expert witness, get more time in front of the committee than Oregon's own citizens?

I had an interesting conversation today with a co worker, related to the recent PPP 78% poll in Oregon.

Me: so what do you think about background checks? (a general question)
Them: I think their good
Me: Did you know the state legislation is in session, and there is a new background check bill being proposed?
Them: No I didn't (to both). What is it? I though that was over last year?
Me: Expanded background checks to include private sales between people like you and me.
Them: That's going to far. I'm against that!

There are still people out there who care but don't know. Keep spreading the polite conversational word until we cross the finish line!

Update: It was originally reported the capitol opens at 7:30. Some other pro-gun were down there today and reported it opens at 7:am. Get their early to get signed in!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top