JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok. General question: When/where does our written testimony get posted? I'm looking at the bill website on the Oregon legislative page, but I don't see anything not submitted during the actual hearing.

Where is our written testimony?

Well, it left the judiciary committee and was sent to the rules committee instead of to the floor for a vote. They don't have the votes to pass it so sent it to the rules committee just like last year. Let's hope it dies there.

SB 1551 IS NOW IN THE COMMITTEE AND CEASE ASKS ALL OF THEIR MEMBERS TO CONTACT THE LEGISLATORS TODAY TPO ASK THEIR SUPPORT. ON SB 1551. PLEASE CALL YOUR LEGISLATORS TODAY TO OPPOSE THE SB 1551.

Update: Senate Judiciary Committee has postponed the meeting till tomorrow.

• That means you have one more day to let your rep, and the Senate Judiciary Committee members, to know where you stand.
  • Senator Roblan (Coos-bay) sounds like he has been non-committal on his vote. Be sure to help him decide! Let your friends know in Coos-Bay what he should do.
  • Be sure to let your friends know, so they can participate as well.

Please take 5-10 minutes to defend your 2A rights against the Gun-Control lobbyists. This may be your last opportunity to email or call the Judiciary Committee before they vote to move the bill forward (or not).

---------------------------------------------ToolBox---------------------------------------------
This is a bit long, but it is intended to give you all the tools and information you need to be an active participant this next week.

SB1551, which expands the current background check system to ALL sales, including private transactions, is scheduled to be heard this February 6th at 8-10am in Salem. Not surprisingly, the gun-control groups heard about it before the public and are encouraging their side to pack the hearing room (it still isn't public, so keep your ears open).

So what can you do? A lot more than you think! Be a part of the team, and not a sideline viewer. Your representatives DO listen. But you have to act.
”But they never listen” BULL. They do. I've heard more than once that public opinion does sway their positions.
Pick one thing below, pick them all. The important thing is that you do something to make your opinion known. Now be active and get something done! We need to get this done together.

1. Contact the state Senate Judiciary Committee and/or your Representatives
2. Be a leader, Plan to attend the hearing this Thursday, February 6th, from 8am to 10am
3. Take a few extra minutes to submit written testimony if you cannot attend.
4. Take the message to others!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Contact the State Senate Judiciary Committee today!
Senator Floyd Prozanski
Democrat - District 4 - South Lane and North Douglas Counties
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1704 District Phone: 541-342-2447
Email: [email protected]

Senator Betsy Close
Republican - District 8 - Albany
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1708
Capitol Address: 900 Court St. NE, S-303, Salem, Oregon 97301

Senator Michael Dembrow
Democrat - District 23 - Portland
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1723 District Phone: 503-281-0608
Capitol Address: 900 Court St. NE, S-407, Salem, Oregon 97301

Senator Jeff Kruse
Republican - District 1 - Roseburg
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1701 District Phone: 541-580-3276
Capitol Address: 900 Court St. NE, S-315, Salem, Oregon 97301

Senator Arnie Roblan
Democrat - District 5 - Coos Bay
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1705
Capitol Address: 900 Court St. NE, S-417, Salem, Oregon 97301

And/or send a message to your legislator!
Legislator Lookup

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Plan to attend the hearing this Thursday, February 6th, from 8am to 10am.

Take a friend and make it a road trip.
Information has already been leaked to the gun control activists before it being available to the public. Don’t let them get the upper hand, even if it is just to show up to show your support for your fellow 2nd amendment supporters.

Please plan to arrive no later than 7 a.m. for the 8 a.m. hearing time. The hearing will start promptly at 8 a.m., and end promptly at 10 a.m.
The capitol doesn't open until 7:30am, but those in line before then get first shot at seats and signing up for hearing testimony.
Parking Information:

Street parking is available at ten-hour, coin-operated meters located throughout the Capitol Mall. Bring extra coins for meters.

The Yellow Lot and the Green Lot are two parking lots which accept credit cards. They are located between Summer and Winter Streets and between Union and Center Streets.

3. Submitting Written Testimony about why you disagree with SB 1551
(Whether or not you attend the hearing or will speak).

The DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING WRITTEN TESTIMONY IS 5 PM ON Tuesday Feb. 6.
ANYONE IS WELCOME TO SUBMIT WRITTEN TESTIMONY FOR THE COMMITTEE HEARING.

SEND AN EMAIL TO: [email protected]

The email subject line should read "Written Testimony Against Senate Bill 1551"
And begin your statement with "Chair Prozanski, Members of the Committee"

Identify yourself and provide the name of the community you live in.

Make a few key points about why it is important for you to see this bill fail and not be adopted.
Focus your statement only on SB 1551

PERSONAL STATEMENTS ARE FAR MORE EFFECTIVE THAN FORM LETTERS.

IN ORDER FOR YOUR WRITTEN COMMENTS TO BE INCLUDED IN TESTIMONY THEY MUST BE IN .PDF FORM

IF you have attachments, ensure they are in .PDF format ONLY.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Get others involved!
  • Super-bowl halftime. Five minutes to protect your rights, or dip a few more chips? Which one will you regret if SB 1551 gets passed? Heck, if your buddies see you doing it, encourage them to do the same as well!
  • Pass this on to other website forums, gun ranges, other interested parties.
  • Start your own local group. It’s easier than you think.
  • Please circulate this announcement and urge others to attend or supply written testimony.

PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LEGISLATORS TODAY FOR THEM TO OPPOSE SB 1551. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got this in an e-mail from Senator Kruse:

We had a general agreement in the Senate, which most committees adhered to, not to try and do complicated or controversial bills.

That means all we have to do to kill it in the Senate Rules Committee is to flood them with letters and phone calls so that they realized this bill should have died earlier as agreed on due to its controversial nature.

Diane Rosenbaum
503-986-1700
[email protected]

Ted Ferriolli
503-986-1950
[email protected]

Lee Beyer
503-986-1706
[email protected]

Ginny Burdick
503-986-1718
[email protected]

Bruce Starr
503-986-1715
[email protected]

Here is a sample letter suggested by OFF:

Dear Senator,
It's clear that SB 1551 is nothing more than an effort to expand gun registration. The very records the State Police claim to be destroying are required to be kept by private parties. Failure to keep these records is a crime and there is no provision for a person who has legitimately lost them. Why should I be required to keep records (perhaps forever) the State Police are required to destroy?

Even the Oregon Sheriff's Association recognizes this serves no legitimate law enforcement purpose.

Vote NO on SB 1551

Opposed to trying to beat a blockhead with a logic stone on how stupid this bill is I took a different approach. Here is what I sent.

"Dear Senator,

I realize your time is precious and you have an extremely short session to accomplish much in so I'll be brief. SB 1551 is a poorly written bill, full of quick patch amendments, on a very complicated and controversial subject. This bill never should have been introduced during a short session, little lone passed onto another committee. Sadly, others are too driven by personal agenda (and possibly out of state money) to care and have passed this buck onto you. I urge you to vote NO on SB 1551. Send the message that you will not accept someone elses mess to clean up during a short session.

Thank you for your time."

Sadly I have a feeling they are just going to put this bill on a back burner to simmer all session until they either have the votes or the session expires. Let's just hope they don't vote for the session to extend beyond the time allowance or it could be a long Spring.

boarder, with all due respect, and I realize that others are using the same philosophy, but I don't think that approach does justice to the concept that is the basis of this bill. The term "Poorly written" implies that there may be some legitimacy in the base concept of UBC. Regardless of how it's written, it does absolutely nothing to resolve the issue of violence. And that, I believe, is the issue at hand. There is an emotional need to "do something". Unfortunately, some are using this emotion to further their own political agenda by showing that they can make something happen. Doesn't matter to them if the solution they propose will have no impact on the problem at hand. No, I'm afraid this has gone far past a poorly written bill. I see it as political and emotional manipulation in it's ugliest form.

Again, please don't take this criticism as an attack against you, and perhaps I've gotten myopic and bitter on the issue. It's possible that some will react favorably to a softer approach. I'm just really upset at the manipulation I'm seeing from Ceassfire Oregon, Bloomberg, and the politicians in this state.

First off let me say I feel there is zero legitimacy for the concept of UBC. But unless you want the Senator to hit delete after reading the first sentence and send all subsequent e-mails to the spam folder then you have to bait a hook. This is an issue (UBC) we will be fighting every year until we get new blood in the Senate. Beating our stocks loud and proud will have no affect with anyone on this committee (though it didn't stop me from sending a couple of those types e-mails to the Judiciary committee). But beating their egos and challenging their characters might be enough for them to decide to kill the bill or face further scrutiny. Prozanski seems to be taking heat from all sides for pulling this stunt. Look at Arnie Roblan. Ceasefire has been training and conditioning it's speakers, as well as politicians, on how to deal with and respond to the red blooded American who defends their 2nd amendment right with loud rallies and passionate speeches. We need to step up the game and attack on more then just this front.

Gotta Love Lars Larson calling Sen. Prozanski "Pink Floyd". Kinda has a nice ring to it. Pink was calling out Sen. Betsy Johnson as wanting to let violent criminals have the ability to buy firearms openly and with easy access. Besty is a good guy, Sen. Pinko is a "pinko" and an hysteric.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top