JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Browning hipower . Or cz75

Those are two I'm looking at, with a strong preference for the CZ. My father owned and carried a Hi-Power for years though and always sang their praises.

Browning Hi Power, polished blue walnut grips, Belgium made - doesn't need a reason why other than its inherent beauty - that's a love long ago lost...

Current crush is Sig M11-A1 - why? Perfect ergonomics,, smooth as silk, great factory sights, so accurate it actually makes me look good. Sig Da/Sa pistol reputation and quality...

The eldest brother in my family has the Sig. It is a very fine pistol.

I pick the Beretta 92FS.
Even my wife can cycle the slide. And I like guns with chrome lined barrels.

The Beretta is on the short-list.

CZ 2075 RAMI. Conceal magazine is 10, so 10+1. Accepts all CZ75B & Compact/PCR magazines. Have never handled or fired the short lived polymer slide version, carry the all steel version.

CZ75 compact/PCR. 15+1, also accepts all CZ75B magazines.

Both fit almost the same as a 75B, just smaller and short to shorter grip (RAMI).

If you can shoot a 75B well, then you will likely shoot both of those well also.

EDIT: adding, @ducrider has a 2075 RAMI listed at a pretty good price. Particularly given the market volatility.

Another vote for the CZ. :s0155:

Honestly dunno, never got into Glocks. Nothing against them, just never owned any.

CZ-USA web-sight lists the weight on 2075 BD at 26oz. Sounds rite. I don't notice it (IWB & OWB) with a good belt, but am 5'10"/240ish.

Same, kind of. I've owned Glocks. Ended up selling every one of them. Not knocking them, and they are a fine fighting pistol. Just not for me. (Though I'd give sell a kidney to own transferable Glock 18. Kidding. Kind of.)

I see a trend with another CZ note.

Well the Uzi fits in your parameters but the year wait and price might be a little bit of a drawback.

Yep. I have a transferable Mac-10 machine-pistol bought in October 2019 still is waiting on los Federales. :eek:

The very first compact wonder 9 that caught my eye was the Detonics "pocket 9" circa 1982 or so. I got one of the first in the state. Fascination faded the more I shot it. Less than 10 round mag.
The AMT Backup 9 was promising and did work pretty good, maybe 6 rounds. Forced to sell to buddy to fund AMT Backup
45. Big Mistake.
Variety of models over the decades. So far the gem of the lot: P365. 3 years, 2000 + rounds, no failures, no complaints.
Moving up to larger frame, my nomination is P320, 229-1, P35, and decent single stack 1911s. I know there's others out there. Good luck.

I included some ill fated small frame metal 9. In pre plastic days high cap mags were hard to find. Such as Ruger 95s & earlier were the eesult.

Last Edited:
The very first compact wonder 9 that caught my eye was the Detonics "pocket 9" circa 1982 or so. I got one of the first in the state. Fascination faded the more I shot it. Less than 10 round mag.
The AMT Backup 9 was promising and did work pretty good, maybe 6 rounds. Forced to sell to buddy to fund AMT Backup
45. Big Mistake.

I've always wondered how those Detonics ran. Sounds like not so good.

I remember one of the later incarnations of the AMT Backup offered in .45 ACP. Lil' pistol for that chambering.

If you can find one an Astra A-90 18+1 they are basically a Sig 226 with a steel frame. Double action in 9mm and .40SW decocking lever and rotating firing pin safety. My wifes carry gun with a single spare mag she has 37 rounds with a single mag change.

astra-a90-1.gif

I've always wondered how those Detonics ran. Sounds like not so good.

I remember one of the later incarnations of the AMT Backup offered in .45 ACP. Lil' pistol for that chambering.
Had one of those AMT back ups in 45 and a couple 380's but I was collecting a lot of that brand at one time. I like my new kimber micro 9 but doesn't have the capacity you want but the older S&W stainless double actions were always cheap, higher capacity and reliable. Ive had several over the years and mags can be found easy and cheap. Like maybe a 669,915, 5906 or similar.

If you can find one an Astra A-90 18+1 they are basically a Sig 226 with a steel frame. Double action in 9mm and .40SW decocking lever and rotating firing pin safety. My wifes carry gun with a single spare mag she has 37 rounds with a single mag change.

View attachment 711559

Very nice. My father had an A80 for many years and it was a good service pistol, so it is one I've been searching on GB, et al.

For the matter, I always thought the Astras didn't get enough love. Their old guns, while not appropriate for carry are, imho, historically interesting. And their newer guns (1970s—90s) have always been solid, at least with my experience with their autos and revolvers. :)

Both the Beretta 92 FS and the CZ 75 BD feel good in my hands, and shoot well. I like the looks of the Beretta better, but the CZ has a better trigger so i tend to shoot it better.
Sadly, the Beretta is the one left at home.
Having nothing to compare to, that comparison might just be isolated to me.

Those are two I'm looking at, with a strong preference for the CZ. My father owned and carried a Hi-Power for years though and always sang their praises.

The eldest brother in my family has the Sig. It is a very fine pistol.

The Beretta is on the short-list.

Another vote for the CZ. :s0155:

Same, kind of. I've owned Glocks. Ended up selling every one of them. Not knocking them, and they are a fine fighting pistol. Just not for me. (Though I'd give sell a kidney to own transferable Glock 18. Kidding. Kind of.)

I see a trend with another CZ note.

Yep. I have a transferable Mac-10 machine-pistol bought in October 2019 still is waiting on los Federales. :eek:

The Belgium made and assembled hipower with ajustable sites cant be beat .they have got expesive but you will save money when you hit the target every time .LOL

#1 - Browning Hi Power Mk III
#2 - CZ-75 or the CZ-75 Compact - tis a tie, both are great, both shoot wonderfully. The compact is a 14+1, the full size is 16+1
#3 - Smith & Wesson 59xx

I know it won't be a popular opinion, but my favorite all steel 9mm is the Hudson H9.
Traded it off, and I should have kept it. 15 rounds in a grip the same size or close to fullsize 1911, trigger pull was like excellent, not quite as good as the trigger on my AMT(in my profile photo),but definately better than most off the shelf 1911's. Everything I read about the gun reviews wise said, they didn't shoot to point of aim, I found this out to not be true at all at least with my particular Hudson H9. Came in a really nice box for a gun(not your usual plastic clamshell or cardboard), even the manual struck me as higher quality.

Bought it expecting to think it was ok, but I ended up loving it.
To me it was just like shooting a 1911 in 9mm,but instead of having 8-10 shots, you get 15+1, and oh hey it was cheaper than buying a 2011.
The H9 unfortunately is out of production but I hope someone brings them back someday.

Can't go wrong with Sig P226, etc. One of my favorite 9mm is a Sig P225, but it's a single stack mag with a lower capacity than what you're looking for.

I'm a big CZ fan. The CZ75 variants and P-01, SP-01, etc. are all great guns. Some of them are decocker versions, and some are DA/SA with a manual safety. I lean a little more towards the former in my preference, but own both. Also note that some models (P-01, for example) may be metal frames but they're aluminum alloy, whereas some are all steel frames, even if it is a compact model.

At this point all of my CZ pistols have had trigger jobs done by CZ Custom. Even the decocker versions are significantly improved by this. They take a great gun and make it an exceptionally great gun.

Below are two P-01 and an all-stainless CZ75B when I flew them with me to Phoenix to drop off at CZ Custom. I have since had CZ Custom build up an all custom SP-01 for me as well. In my opinion there is no greater value than a CZ pistol or a CZ Custom pistol. Highly recommended!

www.czcustom.com

CZs_in_case_2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top