JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds like not so good.
the one I had ran like a back woods jalopy; could always count on it at least firing up; noisy, uncomfortable, early design harsh recoil; too heavy for what it was; seemed more like "zinc & plaster board" than actual metal. Some version of stainless that was ill suited for its new assignment.

The AMT Backup 45 was plagued with a number of flaws, one of which was the famed "Schwartzenegger Trigger" of about 95# pull. It never got better with rounds; no one could remedy it; the factory feigned disinterest.
Part of my world class flinch was developed from trying to work with this beastie. :mad::mad::mad:

Regarding magazines, it should be noted that all of the 9mm metal-frame (alloy or steel) guns can use the same magazines, assuming they're not too short. So you can put a 19-round round magazine in a subcompact RAMI or a full size SP-01. The polymer-frame guns take slightly different magazines.

I'll never figure out why Sig has so many different magazines for guns that are very similar except capacity.

By the way, the term "Wonder 9" became popular after the popularity of Glocks and their compatriots began to rise. I believe it refers specifically to the "new" generation of polymer-framed lighter pistols that had moved away from the metal-framed glory of the Hi-Power and CZ-75.

By the way, the term "Wonder 9" became popular after the popularity of Glocks and their compatriots began to rise. I believe it refers specifically to the "new" generation of polymer-framed lighter pistols that had moved away from the metal-framed glory of the Hi-Power and CZ-75.

It was a term coined during the LE move from revolvers to hi-capacity DA 9mm pistols.
Wonder Nine - Wikipedia
The S&W 59 was a popular example.

Top tier (primary defensive use, training, ultra reliable and well made):
CZ 75 and variants [Perfect designs]
Sig Sauer P226 and P226 [Perfect designs]
Bersa Thunder Pro. Often overlooked, I highly recommend this gun. [Perfect designs, but hard to find parts and mags for.]

Second tier (would work for defense in a pinch but there's better options)
SW 5906, 6906, and many variants (served well as police guns for decades)[I don't care for the safety/decocker slide mount location, ergos and operation. Also loses points for mag disconnect, and tricky re-assembly.]
Browning HP (excellent, the legend, but a bit behind the curve in trigger and capacity)
Beretta 92FS and variants (can't ignore it's proven legacy in the military) [I don't care for the safety/decocker slide mount location, ergos and operation.]
Kahr K9 (excellent compact)

Third tier (range duty, collecting, plinking, training guns, trade fodder, loaners) [These all lose points based on age, scarcity of parts, lack of quality control or some other issues or problems.]
Zastava CZ999 (this is not a CZ, it's similar to a Sig P series)
Clones of CZ75s and variants, such as Tanfoglio, Astra, EAA Witness
Taurus 92 and 99 (Beretta clones)
Star BM

the Beretta is the one left at home.
I had a passel of Berettas 92 versions over the years. They always fired anything I fed 'em, but I could never get a decent actual "group"....very open 'minute of pie plate'; The grip frame was always a bit pudgy as well; always had the sensation of trying to milk a grapefruit when firing them.

CZ75 in some variant. Their virtues have already been sung in this thread so I won't add to it. Current owner of three 75's and their big brother a 97.

Then take that great gun and make it amazing by dropping in a Cajun Gunworks pro package.

Hi Powers are my thing.

Great gun. I don't currently have one, but would like to. Prices are just too high. I owned one for awhile, sorta wish I'd kept it but I got a very favorable trade for it so off it went. The mag disconnect is a real issue, both in design and the lousy trigger. Thankfully that is simple to remove and it vastly improves the pistol IMHO.

I was also issued and carried one on one of my deployments when we were short M9s. Kinda interesting to carry the old gal.

P1100368.JPG

Last Edited:
CZ75 and all variants.

When all this craziness started popping off, I chose between quite a few wonder 9s and this is my choice hands down every day to protect me and mine.

Sitting on my hip right now and I trust it to hell and back even over my Sigs, Berettas, 3rd gen Smiths, and HKs. No experience with hi powers so I can't speak to them.

I wouldn't have a problem with the others but I've never had my CZs choke.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top