JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
One of my two favorite carry guns, the Sig Sauer p238 in 380, is being phased out. Looks like only the California version is still in production and the other models seem a bit scarce on Gunbroker. I only have one p238 now. I'm 52. If I live another 25 years and can still shoot, will I be able to get parts to repair my p238 or should I maybe buy a second p238 before they are all gone? Do y'all buy multiple copies of your favorite guns in case they are discontinued/banned?

Also, didn't there used to be a version of the p238 that came with a threaded barrel? I could be confusing this with the p938, which does have a threaded barrel version. Thanks for any opinions/info on this.

Yes, get another.

We have several of our more carried handguns.

Eases the training burden, have spare replicates in the event one goes down for maintenance/repair/parts, no rush.

Also & noteable: In the off chance you are ever involved in a defensive Gun use, there is a reasonable probability your firearm may be held until the DGU is resolved.

One of my two favorite carry guns, the Sig Sauer p238 in 380, is being phased out. Looks like only the California version is still in production and the other models seem a bit scarce on Gunbroker. I only have one p238 now. I'm 52. If I live another 25 years and can still shoot, will I be able to get parts to repair my p238 or should I maybe buy a second p238 before they are all gone? Do y'all buy multiple copies of your favorite guns in case they are discontinued/banned?

Also, didn't there used to be a version of the p238 that came with a threaded barrel? I could be confusing this with the p938, which does have a threaded barrel version. Thanks for any opinions/info on this.
With it being a gun you just would not want to do without, and it is being discontinued, it would really make sense to get two extras. One in case somebody convinces a Judge you shouldn't have any guns and they send cops to confiscate yours. Or in case there is a burglary or tragic boating accident. You might wanna put that gun in a secret compartment in a piece of furniture in a rented storage unit nobody knows about but you. Or put it in a safe deposit box. One you keep handy to use. One is for parts.

Question: Should I buy another gun?

Answer: HELL YES YOU SHOULD! You work hard! You deserve to buy yourself something pretty once in a while!

I don't know where exactly you think you are...But we are NOTHING here if not...ENABLERS! :D

The 938 is only a smidgeon larger and is 9mm. That's likely why the .380 is being phased out, the 9mm is generally a superior cartridge and the size of the gun is all but the same.

If you love .380, yep, buy the other gun yesterday. I'd personally get the 9mm version.

Any gunsmith worth their salt should be able to fabricate most needed parts from scratch. If the concern is long term use, determine the parts most likely to wear and lay in a supply.

If your really enamored by the P238, have at an additional example, never hurts to have two or three copies of a beloved firearm…

You need to do what works best for you! For me, I prefer to have a different model pistol with a different shooting experience rather than a clone of a pistol I already have. I have never gotten near shooting out a pistol, especially a quality piece like a P238. But that is just me.

P.S. The Browning 1911 380 is one of my favorite pistols if your are interested in trying something a little different.

I wouldn't rush to get one, but if you find a great deal on one it wouldn't hurt to snap it up. They were in production for ~14 years, and there are a lot of them out there. There will also likely be parts available for quite some time, though it might be a good idea to purchase a few sets of springs, since that's what's most likely to wear out (and maybe a couple of firing pins). Magazines and mag springs too, though again I wouldn't panic buy, but instead keep your eyes open for good deals. Aftermarket stuff like holsters will probably become scarce sooner.

Last Edited:
I used to do what the OP suggests. If I had a favorite handgun, I might buy a second one. In the largely mistaken idea that if I had two examples, I'd be in the pink if one went bad. I say largely mistaken in the recognition of the amount of use any single gun might incur while I owned it. Meaning, I wasn't firing thousands of rounds in any one firearm.

Two Colt 10mm Auto Delta Elites, two Smith & Wesson Model 29's, two Smith & Wesson Model 18's, two Ruger Marks, etc, etc. They are gone now but having two made it twice the work when I disposed of most of my handguns. I still have six or eight, but none are dupes.

I'm 52. If I live another 25 years and can still shoot, will I be able to get parts to repair my p238 or should I maybe buy a second p238 before they are all gone?
There are companies that sell parts groupings on Gunbroker. These are firms that have business relationships with law enforcement agencies. To disassemble seized or forfeited firearms. What most of them are selling are from a single firearm, less the frame / receiver. OP, you might look on Gunbroker to see if any parts sets for what you have come up. Sometimes a frame comes up, but that's the one part not likely to need replacement. However, handgun frames do come along on gunbroker for one reason or another. The other day, I was looking at an H&R Model 732 minus cylinder. At the time, there were several parts "kits" available for that model at fairly low cost.

Re. advancing age. I don't know if I have 25 years left, or 25 minutes. These days, I only look upon the utility of earthly goods from one day to the next.

If there's another model you like, then why not? I regret selling my 238HD and haven't run across another locally. Would absolutely pick one up again if the chance and deal walked by.

For carry guns, I like the idea of one primarily for carry and another identical model for training and classes to keep the round count down some (while still shooting the carry gun some as well). This is likely overkill and I have not achieved this personally. Although, I do have identical models for carry, one with optic and one sans. I have similar models that I use for some training as well (full size versions). Share magazines and holsters is a plus. Again....likely overkill but works for me.

So yes, purchase away!

Thanks for the replies all. I will be on the lookout for a good deal on another p238. The suggestion of the Browning 380 is a good one, I've looked at this and was tempted. Dunno if anyone makes good night sights for the Browning and good holsters, I'd have to look into that.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews