JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
RFC I guess. I don't knowingly break laws, and I carry most of the time where there is no criminal liability for doing so. If I'm unaware of some laws I'm breaking I'd appreciate the insight. I don't carry in federal buildings and so on. I do (historically) carry on school property and when in places of business, even if they post signage. That signage has no criminal liability attached under Oregon law, AFAIK.
FWIW, You should not be carrying on private property where it's posted.

When I was a young man , I had skills, tools, and good transportation. If my Boss gave me krap he and I knew that by noon the next day I would be working for his competition!
I knew that if the boss piled on rules I would not follow, that there was no real penalty for breaking them! Or I would just quit and move on. So bosses did not tend to put unreasonable rules on me or people like me!
As I got older and needed to build a retirement, staying longer at one employer became more important, So I became a little more flexible in what I would except. And somewhere about year 10 as an engineer I realized I had too much invested to start over somewhere else. So I became a rule follower!
I had to weigh the risk of being caught VS the benefit of doing what I wanted!
As I got older the Benefit did not outweigh the risks.
Looking back would I have done things differently? No, The retirement pays more than I made while working!

Nowadays, carrying in a unpermissive envirement still has its risks! When the wife hugged me at a funeral and bumped into my gun I got a sharp elbow and a cold stare! DR
Honey is that a gun in your pocket or... :) :s0092:

Oregon just passed a law making it illegal to carry in places that have policies against it.
Oregon was considering this, but the last I saw on the version that passed, this was not included. They included the capital building and schools where the local board has decided to post no gun signage, and a lot of safe storage stuff.

Corrections welcomed.

How about you do you? No offense but if it's open to the public and not criminal, concealed means concealed.
Sorry, friend, but as a gun owner your actions effect more than just you. Who are you to violate someone else's private property? Don't think for a second Kate Brownshirt and her useful idiots don't want to disarm us completely. Enough of us "doing as we please" only adds ammo to their cudgels against us. Pun intended. We all have targets on our backs. Pun intended. Please consider the impact of your actions. No pun intened.

Oregon was considering this, but the last I saw on the version that passed, this was not included. They included the capital building and schools where the local board has decided to post no gun signage, and a lot of safe storage stuff.

Corrections welcomed.

My understanding is it repealed Oregons pre emption law which makes signs hold the weight of the law.

Currently you can get trespassed, or fired from your job, but no criminal charges. Now if your caught at -any- place that has a no gun policy or sign its a criminal offense....

Thats my understanding, also open to corrections.

Corrections welcomed.
Correct. Posted on private property they can only ask you to leave. And of course you'll have to leave.

Corrections welcomed.
The way I read it, I do recommend you actually read the full text of the bill they include language that really spreads the definition of a public building, it's not just the buildings, anything around it, basically near it. Any place government employees work, live, or just a storage building for government files. It's very broad. All schools, library's, and now add buildings associated with it in basically anyway.

Sorry, friend, but as a gun owner your actions effect more than just you. Who are you to violate someone else's private property? Don't think for a second Kate Brownshirt and her useful idiots don't want to disarm us completely. Enough of us "doing as we please" only adds ammo to their cudgels against us. Pun intended. We all have targets on our backs. Pun intended. Please consider the impact of your actions. No pun intened.

Oregon used to have a great compromise on this, property owners can trespass anyone carrying at any time. It should never be illegal to ccw in places open to the public.

Weve had a good discussion here on property rights, but in my opinion if a business is open to the public it should never be illegal to carry there. Same for jobs.

I get the whole property rights subject, but wonder how this group will feel in a year when 99 percent of all stores will have no guns policies posted?

The way I read it, I do recommend you actually read the full text of the bill they include language that really spreads the definition of a public building, it's not just the buildings, anything around it, basically near it. Any place government employees work, live, or just a storage building for government files. It's very broad. All schools, library's, and now add buildings associated with it in basically anyway.
When I read it, it looked like for schools and whatnot the local school board had to make policy but it cleared the way for the policy to be legal now. I'm not sure what's going to happen here, we're pretty rural and pro-gun but it's a school board. No word yet.

As for the rest, as far as I can see the signs at the dentist's office and Costco are still just liability insurance driven requests with no criminal liability attached to violations.

As for the rest, as far as I can see the signs at the dentist's office and Costco are still just liability insurance driven requests with no criminal liability attached to violations.
I thought it was any place with a sign. Would love to be corrected on this....

Sorry, friend, but as a gun owner your actions effect more than just you. Who are you to violate someone else's private property?
Don't like it, don't open it to the general public or alternatively, add armed security and metal detectors so I don't have to carry. I'm actually OK with either one but posting a sign your insurance policy required you to post isn't even going to slow me down, and that's not going to change.

but in my opinion if a business is open to the public it should never be illegal to carry there. Same for jobs.
Just playing devil's advocate but 'technically' a privately owned biz is not really 'public' per se.

They just normally allow unrestricted access to it - but they still 'reserve the right to refuse service to anybody' - for legitimate and non-discriminatory reasons that is - and NOT allowing guns is most likely legitimate.

Just playing devil's advocate but 'technically' a privately owned biz is not really 'public' per se.

They just normally allow unrestricted access to it - but they still 'reserve the right to refuse service to anybody' - for legitimate and non-discriminatory reasons that is - and NOT allowing guns is most likely legitimate.
Certainly, but they can trespass you at any time for carrying and I have no problem with that.

They are a public accomodation and they have the right to trespass people who are misbehaving off their property. There are limits to the why's they can cite for doing this but gun free zones are legally legit as far as I know.

Also, concealed means concealed.

Oregon used to have a great compromise on this, property owners can trespass anyone carrying at any time. It should never be illegal to ccw in places open to the public.

Weve had a good discussion here on property rights, but in my opinion if a business is open to the public it should never be illegal to carry there. Same for jobs.

I get the whole property rights subject, but wonder how this group will feel in a year when 99 percent of all stores will have no guns policies posted?
Open your own store. Problem solved! 👍

Don't like it, don't open it to the general public or alternatively, add armed security and metal detectors so I don't have to carry. I'm actually OK with either one but posting a sign your insurance policy required you to post isn't even going to slow me down, and that's not going to change.
Open to the public or not it is still private property. Until you pay the rent, taxes, payroll, utilities, etc., you are an invited guest. Willfully refusing to comply with their policies is disrespecting their property rights. Then they complain to their coffee klatch and all the other soccer birthing people donate more money to 'Birthing People Demand Action' and voila, we have another fight on our hands with people who are very well funded and who want your guns. And mine. Put yours at risk, fine. Please don't make that decision for me.

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top