Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ever get that feeling...

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by ArgentineSteel, Mar 22, 2011.

1. ArgentineSteel

ArgentineSteel Vancouver, WA Active Member

So I stopped at the park today after lunch. Thought I would get out in the sun for a walk while it was out. Beautiful afternoon.

I like the quiet end of the park, away from the kids playgrounds, usually just a few people like me stopped to eat lunch parked there. There was a gathering at the first covered seating, so I passed on, one of the local homeless parked on a bench further down, so I passed on. The last area had a family playing games and picnicking. I parked across the way.

I'd noticed a middle aged man on a bike about half way down. When I step out of my truck I see he's stopped just a few yards back behind my truck. He's whistling a tune and hanging around. I take a few steps away from the truck and when I turn and look back he's still hanging out there. I stop and look out at the river, still withing visual range of the truck, I still hear him. Now he's riding this way, when I turn around to watch him he rides slowly down a trail along the river still whistling.

I've got a bad vibe, decide I'm not just paranoid because I feel like I'm being stalked, and sized up. I go back to the truck, listening to the dude on the bike slowly work his way back to where he was before. I get in the truck. Soon he's popped back up on the road just behind me again. I start her up and turn it around. Now I'm rolling slowly after the guy on the bike. Not close, just headed his way. He doesn't even make it past the first picnic area before pulling over. I head on out.

I'm going to keep an eye on the community policing section of the paper for a few days. I'm aware of the homeless population around town, know a lot by sight. Our church feeds them. I know they have violent and mentally unbalanced persons if not out right criminals within their population. This guy I'm watching for.

Things to learn. Be aware of your surroundings. I had my eye on this guy before I exited the truck. I knew where he was even without the whistling. If he hadn't been alone I wouldn't have even left the vehicle.

2. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

He was shopping.

3. WIRED tactical

WIRED tactical Snohomish County, WA Member

I get it all the time. I work for Everett Rangers Department during the summer and have to deal with creepers and potential car prowlers all the time. That feeling is almost always correct....

4. Sasquatchvnv

Sasquatchvnv Port Orchard Active Member

I can't even stand someone walking behind me anymore. I definitely steer clear of crowds these days. Heads always on swivel.

5. ArgentineSteel

ArgentineSteel Vancouver, WA Active Member

Yeah I wouldn't have been so spooked if he wasn't obviously interested in where I was headed and trying to keep me in sight. Most people avoid me.

6. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Trust that little warning voice

7. Barefoot343

Barefoot343 liberalville Active Member

Agree, sometimes it is good to listen to the voices in your head. I don't trust anybody either anymore, all you have to do is watch the daily news. I feel sad not only for my kids but all the little ones who will one day be living in this cesspool by themselves, so many predators.

8. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

I have BEEN that guy .....

I was in the park, messing around with one of my model airplanes. I finished what I was doing and started off down the trail towards the parking area. At the exact same time was a woman travelling on the trail. I ended up right behind her. Her head was on a swivel and she kept looking back at me. Finally she abruptly stopped and stared at me. I stopped and said "what?". She told me I made her nervous following her. So I offered to go on ahead and passed her by. So that weird feeling is NOT always right, but probably better to err on the side of caution....

9. Blitzkrieg

It's not going to get any better unless we rise up and alter the situation

One thing that would help is massive deportations of all scum and freeloaders (oooh, the horror, he really said that!)

10. Barefoot343

Barefoot343 liberalville Active Member

you are sooo mean spirited, wait till the SEIU sees this post you are in big trouble.

I wish we could round "them" all up too and just put them on an island (giligans Island would work)

11. Blitzkrieg

I'm in like Flint

12. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Works great until someone decides your a bit odd and you end up on the island.

13. Blitzkrieg

I would take my own personal desert island over the direction this nation is taking

14. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Yeah and that old guy and that stupid gal from alaska would have made the country all better.Even though it was all the politicians in Washington that had a hand in it.

Anyway,I worked downtown Seattle for about 7 years.So I saw these type every day.

Most of the time direct eye contact will scare them off.Then the "what's up" will send them walking.

Most are looking for "victims". Don't act like a victim and they won't bother you.

I wear reading glasses but I can still see a set of deer ears from 100 yards.I still have good peripheral vision and movement awareness.I saw a guy flanking me from about 40 yards by the Tacoma Mall. I stopped and stared at him.When he realized I had seen him,he changed coarse and went towards some BMWs.
    They don't fight back.

15. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

I beg to differ - why pollute a nice tropical island with the likes of them. I vote Johnston Atoll or Bikini Island. (while tropical one is radioactive and the other was the location for storing / destroying all of the bio/chem nasty stuff like nerve gas, etc.)

16. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

Avoid becoming a victim, talk out loud like a pirate shaking your fist at the sky in random spurts.

They don't like people crazier than themselves.

SF-

17. tattoo

tattoo NorthWest Active Member

Another reason I am armed all the time. Ya never know, and stuff can go bad fast. :(
    Dave

18. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Aaaaarrrggghh

19. FreakyStylie

FreakyStylie Willamette Valley Member

That page bugs the crap out of me. I live towards Philomath and hear police cars zipping by at near 100mph at least twice a week, heading towards the coast between dark and midnight. I don't see any indication of those trips in there. I'm currently shopping for a scanner.

I do know what you mean about that feeling though. I spent a good deal of time learning how to read people, and one thing stays the same - that feeling. Learning how to read people just gives you the reason that you have that feeling. Sounds like you witnessed some sort of predatory activity, whether it be looking for an unlocked vehicle or other easy target. Don't ever look like an easy target, that's for sure.

20. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

A border patrol agent told me trust your first impression, Its usually correct.