JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I stopped at the park today after lunch. Thought I would get out in the sun for a walk while it was out. Beautiful afternoon.

I like the quiet end of the park, away from the kids playgrounds, usually just a few people like me stopped to eat lunch parked there. There was a gathering at the first covered seating, so I passed on, one of the local homeless parked on a bench further down, so I passed on. The last area had a family playing games and picnicking. I parked across the way.

I'd noticed a middle aged man on a bike about half way down. When I step out of my truck I see he's stopped just a few yards back behind my truck. He's whistling a tune and hanging around. I take a few steps away from the truck and when I turn and look back he's still hanging out there. I stop and look out at the river, still withing visual range of the truck, I still hear him. Now he's riding this way, when I turn around to watch him he rides slowly down a trail along the river still whistling.

I've got a bad vibe, decide I'm not just paranoid because I feel like I'm being stalked, and sized up. I go back to the truck, listening to the dude on the bike slowly work his way back to where he was before. I get in the truck. Soon he's popped back up on the road just behind me again. I start her up and turn it around. Now I'm rolling slowly after the guy on the bike. Not close, just headed his way. He doesn't even make it past the first picnic area before pulling over. I head on out.

I'm going to keep an eye on the community policing section of the paper for a few days. I'm aware of the homeless population around town, know a lot by sight. Our church feeds them. I know they have violent and mentally unbalanced persons if not out right criminals within their population. This guy I'm watching for.

Things to learn. Be aware of your surroundings. I had my eye on this guy before I exited the truck. I knew where he was even without the whistling. If he hadn't been alone I wouldn't have even left the vehicle.

Agree, sometimes it is good to listen to the voices in your head. I don't trust anybody either anymore, all you have to do is watch the daily news. I feel sad not only for my kids but all the little ones who will one day be living in this cesspool by themselves, so many predators.

I have BEEN that guy .....

I was in the park, messing around with one of my model airplanes. I finished what I was doing and started off down the trail towards the parking area. At the exact same time was a woman travelling on the trail. I ended up right behind her. Her head was on a swivel and she kept looking back at me. Finally she abruptly stopped and stared at me. I stopped and said "what?". She told me I made her nervous following her. So I offered to go on ahead and passed her by. So that weird feeling is NOT always right, but probably better to err on the side of caution....

Agree, sometimes it is good to listen to the voices in your head. I don't trust anybody either anymore, all you have to do is watch the daily news. I feel sad not only for my kids but all the little ones who will one day be living in this cesspool by themselves, so many predators.

It's not going to get any better unless we rise up and alter the situation

One thing that would help is massive deportations of all scum and freeloaders (oooh, the horror, he really said that!)

It's not going to get any better unless we rise up and alter the situation

One thing that would help is massive deportations of all scum and freeloaders (oooh, the horror, he really said that!)

you are sooo mean spirited, wait till the SEIU sees this post you are in big trouble.

I wish we could round "them" all up too and just put them on an island (giligans Island would work)

Yeah and that old guy and that stupid gal from alaska would have made the country all better.Even though it was all the politicians in Washington that had a hand in it.

Anyway,I worked downtown Seattle for about 7 years.So I saw these type every day.

Most of the time direct eye contact will scare them off.Then the "what's up" will send them walking.

Most are looking for "victims". Don't act like a victim and they won't bother you.

I wear reading glasses but I can still see a set of deer ears from 100 yards.I still have good peripheral vision and movement awareness.I saw a guy flanking me from about 40 yards by the Tacoma Mall. I stopped and stared at him.When he realized I had seen him,he changed coarse and went towards some BMWs.
They don't fight back.

you are sooo mean spirited, wait till the SEIU sees this post you are in big trouble.

I wish we could round "them" all up too and just put them on an island (giligans Island would work)

I beg to differ - why pollute a nice tropical island with the likes of them. I vote Johnston Atoll or Bikini Island. (while tropical one is radioactive and the other was the location for storing / destroying all of the bio/chem nasty stuff like nerve gas, etc.)

I'm going to keep an eye on the community policing section of the paper for a few days. I'm aware of the homeless population around town, know a lot by sight. Our church feeds them. I know they have violent and mentally unbalanced persons if not out right criminals within their population. This guy I'm watching for.

That page bugs the crap out of me. I live towards Philomath and hear police cars zipping by at near 100mph at least twice a week, heading towards the coast between dark and midnight. I don't see any indication of those trips in there. I'm currently shopping for a scanner.

I do know what you mean about that feeling though. I spent a good deal of time learning how to read people, and one thing stays the same - that feeling. Learning how to read people just gives you the reason that you have that feeling. Sounds like you witnessed some sort of predatory activity, whether it be looking for an unlocked vehicle or other easy target. Don't ever look like an easy target, that's for sure.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top