JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Eugene Police are releasing virtually zero details about this shooting Friday night, other than to say that a man called 911 to report a woman was being beaten by her drunk boyfriend in an apartment late Friday night. Police arrived on the scene, and confronted a man who they now believe is actually the person who called 911 for help. However, he was armed with a handgun, and the Eugene officers fired somewhere between 5 to 8 rounds at him, according to witnesses.

The man, who the police have yet to identify, was taken to Sacred Heart Hospital in serious condition, but is expected to survive. He remains in the intensive care unit as of today.

Why are the police being so tight lipped? Was this maybe a bad shooting, of an innocent person? A neighbor in the apartment next to the shot man described him as being super nice and friendly. Although she did note that he owned guns and would often go target shooting.

The Eugene Police did say that there is no video recording of the incident, and that because the shooting is under investigation, no further information will be released for now.

Sounds like the poor guy should have just let the man beat his girlfriend, and should not have attempted to intervene. Just look at what what it got him.

Here is an early report:

<broken link removed>

And here is a follow up in today's newspaper, saying that the man police shot was the person who actually had called for help:

Man hospitalized after being shot by 2 officers responding to report of dispute at Eugene apartment

Sad. That is the risk I'm very conscious of if I were in a position to try to stop, lets say, an active shooter. The police pull up and see me with a gun engaging the gunman and goodnight Huck!

That's the problem in liberal America.
Who knows what happened, but I'm sure the cops were just trigger happy. Like usual.

When the LEOs got there the guys should have put his hands put and put the gun down before they even got out of the vehicle.

But either way, this guy was shot for doing the right thing. I hope he recovers and sues the crap out of them.

With slow over-worked police responses, providing your own protection is all you can count on.

It's also a good idea if calling 911 and confronting or helping make sure you tell them your armed and what your description is. So they know who the good guy is when they show up.
But they would also depend on them reading the whole report and not getting tunnel vision when showing up.

Seems the do-gooder may have partly contributed to his own, bad situation. With that sketchy a news article (different from facts) and lacking in detail, I'm thinking it is also a reach to conclude that that the samaritan "...sues the crap out of them" either. Who knows, at this point, what involuntary motions he may have made under stress.

Ok so going to ask a few questions here before even reading the article, and then see how I feel afterwards. Call it an experiment :p

1 - If the complaintant had a gun, why did he not inform the 911 dispatcher of this as well as giving them a full description of himself so they know who to look for.

2 - If the police shot him for having a weapon, presumably the weapon was out. If the weapon was drawn, why did he not lower it immediately upon a) seeing/hearing the police arrive or b) being commanded to by the cops.

3 - If he was willing to draw his weapon, why was he unwilling to fire it at the attacker. You don't draw on a person unless you're willing to fire; that's basic gun safety rules 101 is it not?

Without even reading the article (yet), I'm sensing a lot of bad decisions already here. Now off to read more details lol.

Sounds like this could get expensive for the city of Eugene.

This is an example where the Good Samaritan should have called 911 and then monitored to provide more details to police when they arrived.

I'll only draw if there is a direct threat to me or my family. They need me more than a stranger who has chosen to not defend themselves...

Choose wisely, based upon how our society has devolved...

By the way, this is a telling statement in the news article, just how the view is skewed:

"... described him as being super nice and friendly. Although she did note that he owned guns and would often go target shooting."

That qualified him as being a public menace?

No good dead goes unpunished. you are armed to take care of you and yours, if you above and beyond you may get your name in the paper and maybe the o bits.

There is a lot more to the story that will come out after the investigation is completed. Still, why was he holding a gun when the police pull up? Not a very wise thing to do.

There is a lot more to the story that will come out after the investigation is completed. Still, why was he holding a gun when the police pull up? Not a very wise thing to do.

maybe holding the bg for the cops. just a guess and yes he should have put it in the holster or on the ground when they showed up.

Last Edited:
Hawaiian
You've got it wrong.
Good guy gets shot. There will be a lot more of the story that WON'T COME OUT . . .
It doesn't fit the liberal anti-2nd Amendment Eugene narrative!!!!!

Sheldon

Hawaiian
You've got it wrong.
Good guy gets shot. There will be a lot more of the story that WON'T COME OUT . . .
It doesn't fit the liberal anti-2nd Amendment Eugene narrative!!!!!

Sheldon
You are exactly right on this, it'll fall by the wayside, because it doesn't fit the agenda or narrative... Unless they can paint the Good Samaritan as some sort of crazed, gun nut, vigilante...

They'll make it fit their narrative. They'll tout it as an example of why guns need to be banned so good guys don't get shot by the police.

After arriving, the two responding officers confronted a man holding a gun in his hand and standing outside the apartment, the police chief said.

This may be one of those 1-second confrontations, before the bullets fly. That's why cops are in CYA mode.

Figure anything you read in the Register-Guard is a lie, then take it from there...All you guys playing Monday morning quarterback can ease up on the guy now.

This may be one of those 1-second confrontations, before the bullets fly. That's why cops are in CYA mode.

Figure anything you read in the Register-Guard is a lie, then take it from there...All you guys playing Monday morning quarterback can ease up on the guy now.

I totally agree with you Paul. EVERYONE here is assuming they know what happened, when they haven't a clue. Let's wait and see if the guy lives and then we can hopefully hear it from the horses mouth.

I honestly can't imagine why the victim would have the gun unholstered if he actually knew the police where there. I hope someone didn't sneakie-pete it up to the door and see the guy unaware but holding his gun and then unload on him. Tragic.

Did it say he had the gun out? Maybe they just asked if he was armed he said yes and they shot, or I wouldn't be surprised if the the cops KNEW someone at that residence was armed (it's the digital age, donchaknow).... Cops know someone has a gun there, so they roll up ready to rock and roll.....Too bad there are no invesitgative reporters that go interview all the witnesses and then report the facts as far as the witnesses saw.
SHot 5-8 times....what, they couldn't find all their brass? That alone seems sketchy.
Brutus Out

Did it say he had the gun out? Maybe they just asked if he was armed he said yes and they shot, or I wouldn't be surprised if the the cops KNEW someone at that residence was armed (it's the digital age, donchaknow).... Cops know someone has a gun there, so they roll up ready to rock and roll.....Too bad there are no invesitgative reporters that go interview all the witnesses and then report the facts as far as the witnesses saw.
SHot 5-8 times....what, they couldn't find all their brass? That alone seems sketchy.
Brutus Out
Perhaps their magazines or "clips" weren't topped off...

Didn't have that issue when police carried revolvers...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top