JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Plenty of gas stations in Oregon carry ethanol free 93 or 94 octane. I used to run it in my 225 pro max Allison bass boat all the time. Anything under 92 would burn a piston at 7000 RPM at 95 +MPH before you could say "Get out the wallet". 10% Alcohol fuel would run too lean and do the same thing under load. Most people will never have a need for the higher octane alcohol free has but if you do you need it.

Thanks 308 for that site. The Spaceage, the station in Laurel and a CFN in Beaverton are the ones closest to me on their site. Unfortunately it says the CFN isn't open to the general public.

We call it, "CLEAR" fuel.

If you can find a place who will sell it for off-road only, it is quite a bit cheaper (no road taxes applied).

I use it in all my yard equipment, boat, generator, quads, snowmobiles, etc...

Boat dock where launch had it for $3.80 / gal.

I've seen it at the station close to an OHV park for $3.45 / gal.

The 76 station in N.Wilsonville has it for.... $4.69/gal. What a rip-off.

Olsen bros on McGloughlin is super expensive last time is stopped in. Theres a station out in Gresham where Powell & Burnside intersect has it and also Shorty's Corner just outside of Sandy. There prices werent too far out of line.

I was in the Dalles where I used to live the other day and it was $3.26. It was $1.86 forever at the local marina until they refilled their tank and then boosted it up to $3.75.

10% Alcohol fuel would run too lean and do the same thing under load. Most people will never have a need for the higher octane alcohol free has but if you do you need it.

True this ^^.

What I don't get is WHY 99% of stations only carry non-E in high octane? The high percentage of gas motors are built to run on low octane....Of course there's STILL a bunch of people the swear that they get better performance/mileage/vision/super powers, from running high octane.:D

You take low octane fuel, add alcohol, and you get higher octane. It should be cheaper to provide regular grade non-E gas! I presume premium, high octane, costs more to produce, no? They don't need to add alcohol to it, it should = less cost!

I would like to try running some non-e in the boat ('01 old school Merc 75 "smoker"), but I'm not paying $1.00, or more, a gallon! Love to put some in the CRV or the '84 GMC pick-up with the performance motor, better mileage for sure! No. I have three vehicles, two commercial 2-stoke Toro mowers, edger, string trimmer, OLD Craftsman chainsaw, OLD Little Wonder gas hedge trimmer and a Husky gas backpack blower. Never had any issues that I could attribute to ethanol gas except a fine screen in the McClain/Briggs engine edger, that I need to clean once a year, or less due to using Sea Foam in the tank.

And they continue to sit on their thumbs and foist the crap gas on all of us when it has been proven that it's time is past due to modern computer controlled engines and fuel injection! Subsidizing CORN for fuel has led to price increases in all things from corn. We shouldn't be using food for fuel!

We have an overabundance of food. Look at WalMart patrons if you dont believe me. The only reason that corn is raised to make into fuel is because the midwestern corn lobby pushes subsidies in congress. Otherwise its a money losing proposition and it takes more energy to produce the alcohol than you get from burning it. . Alcohol in fuel lowers potential energy but unless you are set up to wring every last bit of energy out of the fuel you wouldnt notice it. In a boat its a different story where alcohol in the fuel absorbs water. Given the fact that boats sit for years at a time in a wet environment without being properly winterized and have motors that many times are decades old and you really need the straight gas. In a high performance motor running on the ragged edge of self destruction forget about the alcohol for any serious driving. Ive melted too many pistons at 90+ MPH to even think about it.

onNQPu.jpg

Last Edited:
I don't get it, alcohol runs cooler, running lean is what burns your motor down. It a fine line, maximum horse power vs rich/lean.

Many years ago I used to fine tune carbed motor cycle engines to run at altitude. Gotta read the plugs, and adjust the carb accordingly. It's probably much easier now with a computer hooked to the engines computer?

Alcohol runs cooler because it has less energy than gasoline. That just means you need more of it to produce the same power. Put alcohol or an alcohol blend in a motor not designed or tuned for it and you don't get enough fuel. Not enough fuel and too much air is running lean. Straight alcohol does have a higher anti knock potential but like you said unless the motor is tuned for it you cant take advantage of that . Then you switch fuels and it all goes out the window. For a good old fashioned 2 stroke engine you can tune to whatever you want to use for fuel but given alcohols propensity to pick up water no one tunes for straight alcohol except for a few hardcore racers and even then they have issues with cylinder and crankshaft rusting unless they flush with regular gas after a race. 4 strokes with computerized engine management systems can do the transition but those things are heavy, sluggish dogs.

Heres my old Checkmate my dad bought new in 1980 with a injected 260 Merc shoehorned onto the back going about 90 MPH . Original motr was a Johnson 90 that was pushing close to 180 HP before it finally gave way to a proper Mercury.

V0yFUQ.jpg
JSfyij.jpg

Last Edited:
i put clear gas in all my small engines. infact when im low in fuel in my truck (98 f150) i empty the 4wheeler or lawnmower gas into it. i get better fuel economy and power. i dont recommend putting clear gas in newer vehicles though.

just a heads up: clear gas when mixed for two stroke engines runs cooler than ethanol gas (because most people dont adjust their carbs)and wont melt down your chainsaw either. my buddy went thru two chainsaws before believing me. clear gas in general doesnt gunk up carbs or eat fuel lines like ethanol. im a firm believer.

I have never purchased clear fuel because of the octane rating.

The main benefit to use clear fuel is because the alcohol in regular fuel draws moisture in from the air into the fuel causing problems. Additionally, if left to sit for any time, the alcohol evaporates away leaving you with less octane and thus crappy fuel. Moreover, many older fuel delivery systems weren't designed with alcohol in mind and the alcohol attacks seals / hoses and dries them out / eats them away.

This is a big deal for those of us who have boats, generators, snowmobiles, etc... which can sit long periods of time. Use of clear fuel eliminates so many of the normal problems associated with storage.

Ethanol-free gas stores much better and will be much more useful in a SHTF situation.

You can find a map of (some of) the places to buy ethanol-free gas by going to Google maps and typing into the search box: "gasoline without ethanol" and your location.

To get a map of (some of) the places in Oregon that sell ethanol-free gas go to:

Gasoline without ethanol

Also you can go to pure-gas.org at:

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

and search your state for (some) locations that sell it.

Be aware there are most always some other places that sell it in your area that may not be listed on the above sites. Most all full-service boat docks, for instance. Your local fuel distributor can probably give you a more complete and current listing for your area.

I have never purchased clear fuel because of the octane rating.

The main benefit to use clear fuel is because the alcohol in regular fuel draws moisture in from the air into the fuel causing problems. Additionally, if left to sit for any time, the alcohol evaporates away leaving you with less octane and thus crappy fuel. Moreover, many older fuel delivery systems weren't designed with alcohol in mind and the alcohol attacks seals / hoses and dries them out / eats them away.

This is a big deal for those of us who have boats, generators, snowmobiles, etc... which can sit long periods of time. Use of clear fuel eliminates so many of the normal problems associated with storage.
This is my reasoning in using it also. I have several pieces of equipment that will sit for several months before being used. Ive had numerous mechanics warn me about the alcohol breaking down hoses and seals. I figure if I spend an additional $20.00 a year in fuel for the small engines, that is cheaper than a carb rebuild.

I've had good results so far running Sta-bil marine formula in my small engines. I even use it in my older pre-ethanol truck.

Stabil Marine in the FULL tanks of the trucks and boat for winter storage. But I use Sea Foam in the power equipment when I think about it. Sea Foam also helps keep carbon build-up at a minimum in 2-stroke motors. I buy it by the gallon, cut's the price by more than a third.

Stabil actually does something. Its about 5% BHT which acts as a sacrificial molecule and prevents oxidation.
Seafoam is just a placebo. Light oil, naphtha and IPA. It MIGHT pull some water out of gas but it doesnt do much of anything else.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top