JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm usually pretty good at finding stuff online, but not doing so hot on this one, and figured given this is preparedness oriented some of you on here might have experience with this. I have a stock of old school metal 5 gallon fuel cans. I believe one is called "Wavian" or NATO style (green one) and the other is old school GI issue (red one). Problem is I do not have any spouts for the green type, and only the large diameter spouts that won't fit in the new school vehicle gas tanks on the red style. I'm trying to see if anyone has experience where they can recommend a specific good quality after market nozzle for each that are designed for these type of cans that are of the right diameter to work with normal car gas tanks. I've seen a couple online, but with mixed reviews, so just seeing if there are any first hand experience here. I've just been using a siphon/pump, but would really like to not have to go that route if there is something else out there. Any help is certainly appreciated.

IMG-1900.jpg

The extended spouts made in Estonia are excellent for NATO cans. $21.72 each. Long enough that you wont scratch your car up trying to get the last of it. I'll look for a link.

Edit: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081HZGDDD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I can't attest to the longevity as I just got mine. I was using the older shorter standard ones and then I got a new car which I do NOT want scratched up. Title is

VALPRO Long-Nose Flexible NATO Jerry Can Spout/Nozzle, Fits Wavian or VALPRO Euro Military Spec Cans (Olive Drab)

Suggest getting a few new gaskets as well - those are not always available and they don't cost much.

Last Edited:
P7M13 - Are you local to Vancouver/BG area? I wasn't really looking to sell, and don't want to ship. But I do have a few of these, which is more than I really need. If you need one and are local we can work something out.

Cigars, every one of those will scratch your Ford Truck right at the end of the pour as you tip the can up. At least they did my Ford. So if your body panel config is different, they might work, otherwise, pass. The other thing the Estonia long one does better is that they increased the air size. Those small ones will more easily leak through the airhole if you get over enthusiastic when dumping the can upside down. I learned that the hard way too.

It's possible that those will last longer as they are a single construction, whereas the Estonia ones are flexible. If all you were doing was filling a lawnmower, those would be as good as the next one, perhaps better, I suppose. I rotate the fuel when it gets old and do that by dumping it into a vehicle. I have the cans tagged with the date and put PRI-G and/or Stabil Storage in it.

My Wavian is now 5 seasons old, made in Latvia. The original spout with bump in middle certification for Cal.gov was leaky fraudulent failure within weeks. They replaced with more primitive flexible spout that remains flawless. I'd buy a second 5 gallon if I could find one.

I'm usually pretty good at finding stuff online, but not doing so hot on this one, and figured given this is preparedness oriented some of you on here might have experience with this. I have a stock of old school metal 5 gallon fuel cans. I believe one is called "Wavian" or NATO style (green one) and the other is old school GI issue (red one). Problem is I do not have any spouts for the green type, and only the large diameter spouts that won't fit in the new school vehicle gas tanks on the red style. I'm trying to see if anyone has experience where they can recommend a specific good quality after market nozzle for each that are designed for these type of cans that are of the right diameter to work with normal car gas tanks. I've seen a couple online, but with mixed reviews, so just seeing if there are any first hand experience here. I've just been using a siphon/pump, but would really like to not have to go that route if there is something else out there. Any help is certainly appreciated.

View attachment 902928
They are currently out of the wavian nozzles alone but have the cans with nozzles included.

If you were closer I have some old GI cans and a new unleaded nozzle in packaging you could have.

Last Edited:
Easier is simply to use a brass "jiggle syphon" connected to tubing. Set the can higher than the outlet height of the other end of the tubing.

Been doing such for years now, never bothered with the spouts/nozzles. Off highway refueling, rotating out stored fuel at home.

Only time I pour is transferring some fuel to a 1 gallon, then also don't bother with the spouts/nozzles. Use a funnel.

Are these guys legit? Have you purchased Jerry cans from them?
no experience with these guys, but have it on direct observation, the endless variety of fake 5-gal cans have exposed assembly seam on bottom, while Wavian doesn't.

I was reluctant to spend the larger part of $100 bill back 5 years ago for can & spout. Given there's been zero spill/leak/complaint after they replaced the Cal.trans 'safey spout' I got my money's worth. Some import supply outfit based in SoCal was selling various mil.goods, surplus mil.clothing, various first aid kits, was marketing heavily on the internets.

Are these guys legit? Have you purchased Jerry cans from them?
yes, I have ordered from them many times and a lot of people I know have also. Including just a couple of weeks ago. On other forums, roverparts is talked about often when talking about gas cans. I have the spouts also (not the CARB models) but the real spouts, including the long one as an emergency, but prefer to use the super siphon. You will get some spillage with the shorter ones if you aren't careful.

Last Edited:
no experience with these guys, but have it on direct observation, the endless variety of fake 5-gal cans have exposed assembly seam on bottom, while Wavian doesn't.

I was reluctant to spend the larger part of $100 bill back 5 years ago for can & spout. Given there's been zero spill/leak/complaint after they replaced the Cal.trans 'safey spout' I got my money's worth. ......
I made the mistake of buying 4 cheap ones. They "looked" like NATO cans but you could tell there were some shortcuts. The handless were not as tall, spout in the middle instead of off center etc. Filled one with fresh non-ethonal and gifted it to a buddy as we were taking his boat out. He put it in his 2nd home garage down at the coast. Buddy comes back @1 month later and ALL 5 gallons of gas had leaked all over his garage. A spark would have blown his house up. None of mine had an issue but I replaced them anyway.

Don't cheap out with gas cans.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads