JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thinking about getting one of these duro max dual fuel generators. Any thoughts?
iid=400783291524
Go bigger. I've been researching this for months now. I currently have a 9000W unit and will be going to a 15kW unit next year. 4400W is only 18A at 240V, or 36A at 120V. A refrigerator on start up will draw 15A. So a refrigerator and a chest freezer will max out your 4400W unit. A 9000W unit will power all the 120V circuits in my house. With a 15000W unit I can add the water heater. None of them will run my heat pump, but that's what the wood stove is for.

And yes, Duromax seems to be as good a brand as there is. Good reviews. I plan on a 250 gal propane tank to fuel my 15kW unit.

Thinking about getting one of these duro max dual fuel generators. Any thoughts?
iid=400783291524
Heck, why not? I wonder if it's any better and or cheaper and as easy to return as what's found at Harbor Freight.

You also need a transfer switch to connect your generator to your load, and isolate it from the utility's circuits. Here's what I'm using:

I moved all of our 120v circuits to a 60A sub-panel fed through the transfer switch. The generator connection is wired to the other "ON" terminals of the transfer switch so that the sub-panel can be connected to either the utility supply or to the generator, but never to both at the same time.

Last Edited:
IMO not a generator I would trust. Dual fuel is great though but hard to make run really well without some tinkering as its hard to keep it tuned for both fuels. The carb on mine has frozen with extended use. As for power 9000w to run a chest freezer and a refrigerator is way overkill. Unless you plan on loss of power for really extended periods of time just backfeed whatever circuit you need to use. Just make sure to turn off the main panel so if the power company comes to restor your power you dont kill someone.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll probably go with the model I was looking at or one with slightly more capacity, it's just for a back up if the power goes out to keep fridge and some small lights/chargers going.

I've heard that running propane, they can be difficult to start. Anybody have experience?

Yes, I do. And yes, they are harder to start on propane. Usually there is some switch or something to change when switching fuel types and it can be a little frustrating to transition smoothly.

How often do you need it? If it's a "just in case" and seldom used? I would just buy one made for LP gas. I have always had a gen around for emergency. The gasoline ones were a PITA since I had to put some fuel in them every couple months to run them, then run them dry. Rotating the fuel kept for them also. Then a good while back when I needed a new one I just bought an LP one. 6K running wattage. Just keep a few of the bottles around for the BBQ. Stuff does not go bad. Where I live you can buy the exchange bottles everywhere here. We seldom need it. Longest it's ever been needed was day and a half one time. We could keep fridge freezer and such going easy and even of course have TV. The model I bought is sold by Home Depot but you have to order them for the LP model. They offered order to store or drop at your home. I would be leery of buying something like this off Ebay. Preferred getting it from a big store locally in case I had a problem.

How often do you need it? If it's a "just in case" and seldom used? I would just buy one made for LP gas. I have always had a gen around for emergency. The gasoline ones were a PITA since I had to put some fuel in them every couple months to run them, then run them dry. Rotating the fuel kept for them also. Then a good while back when I needed a new one I just bought an LP one. 6K running wattage. Just keep a few of the bottles around for the BBQ. Stuff does not go bad. Where I live you can buy the exchange bottles everywhere here. We seldom need it. Longest it's ever been needed was day and a half one time. We could keep fridge freezer and such going easy and even of course have TV. The model I bought is sold by Home Depot but you have to order them for the LP model. They offered order to store or drop at your home. I would be leery of buying something like this off Ebay. Preferred getting it from a big store locally in case I had a problem.
Yah definitely a "just in case" thing, last year during the fires, we were without electricity for 5 days and had to throw food out. Would rather have something to keep food fresh and lights on, and yah be able to run propane in case of a longer term emergency if gas was harder to get, or a bug in situation.

Yah definitely a "just in case" thing, last year during the fires, we were without electricity for 5 days and had to throw food out. Would rather have something to keep food fresh and lights on, and yah be able to run propane in case of a longer term emergency if gas was harder to get, or a bug in situation.
In that case unless you are going to go with a big name like Honda, I would just go LP. The gas is FAR easier to store than gasoline. Buy a few of them and you are set. Even if you have to pack up to leave a bottle of LP is FAR easier to pack than a can of gas. If you have a gas grill you have of course a great way to cook too :D
I bought some heavy cords 12Ga wire. Just run 3 of them into the house then branch off from those to what we want to run. The 6K one I have is a little big to pack up but of course could be done. I had not looked in long time so I took a quick look at Home Depot and they offer a bunch of these now in different sizes.

What, what, what........sorry, I can't hear you over all that generator noise.:eek:

But......if it was a quiet machine or if you lived far, far away........OK, that's better.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....speaking of dual fuel (gasoline and white gas), I have a dual fuel camping stove and two lanterns that can also run dual fuel. I'm NOT opposed. BUT THEN......I've never tried it with gasoline. :s0092:.

As for the big ol' generator.......see above.

Last Edited:
I've heard that running propane, they can be difficult to start. Anybody have experience?
Mine is not and its not some big name so I would expect it's the norm. It came with an electric start and pull cord. Electric starter quit years ago. It's been so easy to start I never bothered to look at buying a new starter for it. Last time power died I turned on the gas and second pull it fired up.

What, what, what........sorry, I can't hear you over all that generator noise.:eek:

But......if it was a quiet machine or if you lived far, far away........OK, that's better.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....speaking of dual fuel (gasoline and white gas), I have a dual fuel camping stove and two lanterns that can also run dual fuel. I'm NOT opposed. BUT THEN......I've never tried it with gasoline. :s0092:.

As for the big ol' generator.......see above.

My parents have the same generator I ordered and you can't even hear it from inside the house. If we need the generator, its likely not real nice outside. We'll be hanging out inside anyway.

My parents have the same generator I ordered and you can't even hear it from inside the house. If we need the generator, its likely not real nice outside. We'll be hanging out inside anyway.

Make sure you have a circuit dedicated to the shop so you can reload while everyone else huddles around a candle. :p

Thank you, for your consideration of your neighbor(s) hearing.:D

My neighbor recently got a new M/C to disturb the peace with. :s0092:

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top