JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Knife is not a implement for splitting wood. Get an axe, or a saw.

For a fire in a pit, you don't need to chop wood, some of the places I go camping, the variety of hardwood we burn for fire are simply too hard to chop and saw. Best we can do is break it up into long unbranching logs (we us dead-fallen wood) and then put one end in it, and push it in farther as it burns.

Don't chop wood with your knife, it makes both you and your knife angry.

Remember,the big trees got big because of little branches with leaves on them.Little branches make good tinder, then progress up in size.
OK enough about fires and wood cutting.
There doesn't need to be much of an excuse for buying a new knife does there?
Knives are my biggest downfall because it's easier to justify $200 or under than most guns I look at.
Heck I could buy 3-4 top end knives for most of my guns...I mean my 2 left over

Back to op query about eese 3. Great knife for day pack, camera bag and also one in truck. Although not the only knife in these situations, I personally like redundancy, folder, small fixed and medium fixed when hiking. Of course, if not back packing have chopping stuff in the truck too. I just like to have an extra or two, just because I bubblegumming can!
Have a few expensive hand made blades that I carry around in the safe shelf or desk drawer. ;) Not near as much fun as the eese 3 on the trail. Eese 4 is good, 5 also, just a lot bigger. Hard to find a bad knife anymore if it is from a well known manufacturer.
If you want to beat the hell out of it chopping or prying go for it. It is a hand tool, just a piece of metal. At the price and warranty why not. Don't think there is a shortage of eese's. If I broke mine doing prying or chopping with a wood hammer, personally I would not claim warranty, just buy another, chalk it up to entertainment. Pursue happiness.

Everything he say's make a lot of sense and he can back it up.

I am stuck on scandi grind knives at this point. The simplest to maintain and lowest cutting effort of all the grinds and great durability when used as a knife.

The Enzo Trapper is a fantastic $100 range knife, pick the steel of you preference. A bunch of Moras can't be beat for cost efficiency. I have about 10 and haven't killed one yet.

I weighed my Schrade hatchet - 19 ounces.

Not that much heavier than a heavy knife like one of the longer ESEE or Becker knives, but a whole LOT better for chopping or splitting wood.

If I am going to be carrying that large of a knife, then I would probably carry the hatchet and a lighter smaller knife, like the Gerber Prodigy. Otherwise I would be carrying a folding pocket knife.

This would be my choice Marbles bowie. 7" blade 12 1/4" overall.

DSCI2147.JPG DSCI2136.JPG

Everything he say's make a lot of sense and he can back it up.

I am stuck on scandi grind knives at this point. The simplest to maintain and lowest cutting effort of all the grinds and great durability when used as a knife.

The Enzo Trapper is a fantastic $100 range knife, pick the steel of you preference. A bunch of Moras can't be beat for cost efficiency. I have about 10 and haven't killed one yet.
You know he just got called on the carpet because he embellished his resume? I believe the Pathfinder school let him go.
So the local store (swain's) started carrying Mora knives.I heard so much about them I decided to buy one.Very sharp for a $12 knife.Then I made a wool pull over and wanted to sew the sheath into the fron pocket and I bought another for $8.I really wanted to try to make a wood hande for it.
I beat the gull darn crud out of that handle,and I can swing a hammer.
Barely dented the plastic.
So I'll wrap it with leather instead,lol

You know he just got called on the carpet because he embellished his resume? I believe the Pathfinder school let him go.
So the local store (swain's) started carrying Mora knives.I heard so much about them I decided to buy one.Very sharp for a $12 knife.Then I made a wool pull over and wanted to sew the sheath into the fron pocket and I bought another for $8.I really wanted to try to make a wood hande for it.
I beat the gull darn crud out of that handle,and I can swing a hammer.
Barely dented the plastic.
So I'll wrap it with leather instead,lol

He padded his CV with extra military training to get a spot on a tv show and got caught, lost the job and paid for it. Made an apology video shortly after.
He is the owner of the Pathfinder School so there is little chance he'll be let go.
He screwed up but his videos have a lot of good stuff and he seems to walk the bushcraft walk.

If you want to have a custom handle on a Mora blade the best bet is to buy a Mora blank - http://www.ragweedforge.com/BladeCatalog.html

I also really like the Helle Viking and the Enzo trapper O1.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top