JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
But Douglas Ridge is private. At least you can go to English Pit for a day pass. Name me another public range you can shoot a rifle at all around here? Though I've never stood up with my rifle, I have definitely shouldered it offhand (while seated at the bench) without any problems at the English Pit.

The problem is that the situation around here for public ranges sucks, not that just English Pit sucks. There just isn't a single place for every type of shooting activity. Perhaps there are a few private ranges with more options...after spending the extra money. Every public range around here has its own annoying problems.

A big part of the problem is that we live in such a litigious society. If someone shoots themselves in the foot, or sends a round into the cement and he frags half a dozen others, we have to worry about multiple law suits. To manage this liability, and to keep the insurance company happy, we don't allow drawing from holsters, have rapid-fire rules, and all of these other suck-y rules and regs.

The insurance company wanted to review our range procedures before agreeing to write a policy. Since there are but a small handful of insurance companies that underwrite shooting ranges, the private ranges have the same issue and many of the same suck-y rules.

Bottom line - If we lose our insurance, the range closes. Public or private, it doesn't mater. And that's why, if a RSO sees something going sideways, they will jump on the issue using what I'll call their Range Command Voice. I will back them every time!

Go into the hills or on private land and anything goes. But, get hurt? On public land you are on your own. On private land, you could sue the land owner.

Aside from all of that, range operators need to worry about the likes of OSHA, EPA, Dept. of Labor & Industries, the list goes on.

Not only that, I'm the President of Clark County Gun Club, Inc.

I am the person responsible for the various range rules, including the Brass Collection policy that's online at http://englishpit.com/BrassCollection/

There are reasons for each range rule or policy - many of which we learned through the school of hard knocks - this applies to the Brass Collection policy. I'll address some of these such as shotgun slugs in other posts.

In the case of empty cases, I should have included in my initial reply that we welcome the shooter to pick up and take with them any of their own fired cases. However, a shooter is not allowed to collect other's cases or dig through our brass buckets. That part of the message may not have been clearly stated to you while at the range (as I too just failed to do in my previous post). I am sorry about that!

We, like most every other range sell cases left by shooters to various places - it is part of our income stream.

That said, and again, you welcome to retrieve your own handgun or rifle cases, or shotgun hulls.

As far as our procedures, we don't profess to be know-it-alls and urge you to let us know of something that may not make sense or is confusing. I am the ultimate decision and rule maker. Maybe I need a suggestion box at the range?

Randy

This is good news, Randy. Must be a change since I went there last - OR - the person that was telling me this did not know the "brass rules".

Thank you.

I don't want to nit-pick your rules, but something written is not 100% correct.

The 5th paragraph in your brass policy (http://englishpit.com/BrassCollection/) states:

"Empty cartridge cases left at the range by a shooter becomes the property of the range. This is the same as when someone places their weekly garbage on the curb for general pick-up; the moment the materials are placed on the curb, they become the property of company picking them up."

This is not true. It is considered public property. This is why/how the 3-letter agencies, and local agencies, can go through your garbage when you are being investigated. They wait until you put it out by the curb for trash-day pick-up.

Just sayin'.

Other than that, thank you for reiterating that fact about the brass policy at English Pit. :s0155:

Not only that, I'm the President of Clark County Gun Club, Inc.
I am the person responsible for the various range rules, including the Brass Collection policy that's online at http://englishpit.com/BrassCollection/
Randy
I'm sure it was some sort of oversight on my part, but I was invited to shoot at the Pit with a friend. When the gal in the little office heard/saw that I was shooting my AR with a suppressor, she about had a cow and sternly asked for me to prove I was legally allowed to own the can. I carry documentation and after seeing it she was fine. Not sure what that was all about. I am an Oregon resident and maybe I was (probably) ignorant to the law/rules of shooting in Wa. with a can.

I'm sure it was some sort of oversight on my part, but I was invited to shoot at the Pit with a friend. When the gal in the little office heard/saw that I was shooting my AR with a suppressor, she about had a cow and sternly asked for me to prove I was legally allowed to own the can. I carry documentation and after seeing it she was fine. Not sure what that was all about. I am an Oregon resident and maybe I was (probably) ignorant to the law/rules of shooting in Wa. with a can.
I love it when guys come down with supressors-it always amazes me how our staple guns can be louder than some canned rifles. Suppressors are definitely welcome! Take care

I'm sure it was some sort of oversight on my part, but I was invited to shoot at the Pit with a friend.
I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that you are legally required to notify the ATF when taking a NFA item across state lines. I would delete this if I were you...

Too many places to even mention. But again you just have to be willing to park off on a spur and walk a while.
Its nice out there :D

Tis a big land
View attachment 220074

View attachment 220075

View attachment 220076

View attachment 220077

View attachment 220078

DSC00836.jpg

Its a Big land out there. Much is Fed or State Land and 2 feet will get you to much of it.

Nice pics. I just need to pick up a map, fill up my tank and go for a ride.

I'm pretty sure there is a multi page thread on this subject
Not looking to be combative here, but what is the motive for your comment?
I am genuinely curious.
I have had similar comments directed towards me, then had my post moved into obscurity by a well intentioned moderator, redirecting it to a previous post sometimes long forgotten.
Essentially, rendering my post into irrelevancy.
To me, that is not useful, nor kindly.
Perplexed, I find no infringement on anyone, redundant issue or not.
If the original post was current and active, may be the redirection would be then relevant and helpful, but this usually is not the always the case.
While some may have photographic memories, or a daily regime allowing perusal of every post for the day, I do not. When posting, I do make a cursory effort to peruse several pages of likely subject sections along with a search which I never seem to come up with the right "Key words" then make my post if I come up empty.
For me, this is a new post, as I have not seen the one you spoke of. Even if I had, others may not, plus, with it could come fresh views.
I don't know the OP motives are either, nonetheless sometimes people just need to vent and feel validated others are in their camp. The commonality of such comments can be disheartening to the OP.
If People find the post redundant, why aren't they able to just move on to the next?

Not looking to be combative here, but what is the motive for your comment?
I am genuinely curious.

If People find the post redundant, why aren't they able to just move on to the next?

I realize not everyone can remember what threads are active or not and that not everyone reads the forums regularly - which honestly is why I pointed out the fact that there is a long running thread that may as well be labled the same as this one, given the fact that most of the posts can be summed up with the statement "The English Pit Sucks".

I'm not a moderator so I can't speak to that part.

I don't know why the search engines suck.

And not trying to be snarky but I can't think of any other way to say it, but wouldn't it be easier to just ignore the posts you find disagreeable then to respond with multiple paragraphs?

Best regards & Cheers;)

Joe

While some may have photographic memories, or a daily regime allowing perusal of every post for the day, I do not. ....

I feel REALLY strong about this statement, and want to comment.

Uh, what was that post talking about.................o_Oo_O:(:(:confused::confused::):):D:D

I forgot........:(

Is this the thread discussing what is better, a 9mm or a 45???o_O:p:cool:;)

Last Edited:
I realize not everyone can remember what threads are active or not and that not everyone reads the forums regularly - which honestly is why I pointed out the fact that there is a long running thread that may as well be labled the same as this one, given the fact that most of the posts can be summed up with the statement "The English Pit Sucks".

I'm not a moderator so I can't speak to that part.

I don't know why the search engines suck.

And not trying to be snarky but I can't think of any other way to say it, but wouldn't it be easier to just ignore the posts you find disagreeable then to respond with multiple paragraphs?

Best regards & Cheers;)

Joe
Well, you have me there Joe, and it's not the first time I've been called verbose. It does appear to be ragging. :s0037:Hopefully no harm no foul, I was actually curious. as for the non snarky,I'll take that too.
Thor:s0145:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads