JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use pine cones on my home range. Never a shortage of those around here. Tie 'em and hang em from a branch or between two posts.

I would like to semi-permantly set up some targets and or target stands at my favorite shooting spot. I would like to use only natural materials that are typically available in forest setting so I and other shooters can reuse them until they are shot to pieces. The hillside of the pit is fairly steep (45 to 60 degrees-ish) and consist of loose red cinder rock on top layer.

The only tools I will have are an ax and a pruning saw.

I maintain this pit including hauling out trash that other shooters often leave behind. It is used often by locals for shooting.

Any ideas?
Leave signs directing people to pick up their bubblegum. That has worked wonders in my pit, I also walk in and converse with shooters, hand them a trash no land flyer and explain what we're all about.
The slob shooters generally do not return if they know someone is watching the place.

Natural Targets.
Mud balls
If the soil at the range is not suitable for Mud Balls, bring some that is, along with a bucket of water.
Make the Mud Balls tennis ball size, put them on a berm or log, and let them dry-out.
Put some lime on the bank behind them so they stand out.
Other than the optional lime, this costs nothing, except your labor, and leaves nothing behind to clean up.
jmo,
🤔

We know that shooting bowling pins is a "thing".
So, find some 5" and 6" diameter limbs/logs and cut them about 16" long.
Voila ! Bushcraft version of the bowling pin !

Cons:
Idjits will find them and burn them.
Better than burning pallets like they do, leaving thousands of nails behind !

We know that shooting bowling pins is a "thing".
So, find some 5" and 6" diameter limbs/logs and cut them about 16" long.
Voila ! Bushcraft version of the bowling pin !

Cons:
Idjits will find them and burn them.
Better than burning pallets like they do, leaving thousands of nails behind !
That's a great idea, there is no shortage of logs down there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top