JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
heh..heh..wood. huh..huh..uh.huh
1s3wlm.gif

How long does it generally take for clays to degrade?
Weather and sun play a role here.
I would guess...months to years...since I often see the same leftover clay bird bits at the shooting pit I go to.

Leftover clay bird bits make for an excellent target by the way....:D
I often "clean up " the above mentioned shooting pit , by using the leftover clay bird bits as targets for my Hawken rifle or one of my .22 rifles.
Andy

Leftover clay bird bits make for an excellent target by the way....:D
I often "clean up " the above mentioned shooting pit , by using the leftover clay bird bits as targets for my Hawken rifle or one of my .22 rifles.
Andy
I do the same thing. I build little piles out of the larger leftover clay fragments. Very satisfying to vaporize with a shotgun.

Charcoal brickettes, They explode into a black cloud when hit! and they are cheap DR
This is a good idea. I had a friend who was into black powder rifles and he'd stretch a rope between 2 posts/trees/etc. and use sewing thread to hang charcoal briquettes from it as targets. VERY frustrating if there's any wind, but VERY satisfying when they go POOF!

Another option would be to go to a local cattle range and collect dried cow patties. Use them like clay birds. You can shoot and fertilize at the same time. Instead of calling "PULL!" you would call "BULL!"**

Make it a competition. Winner gets a special trophy.
6UvEvKeQHaFi?w=276&h=206&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.5&pid=1.jpg

** Yeah, I know... a lot of you are calling "Bull!" just reading this post. :s0121:

It takes a long time for clay targets to decay. They're made with pine pitch and coal dust. Or something like that. A few years back biodegradable targets became more available. They are supposed to degrade, but they don't dust ball like the regular ones and are harder to break with shotgun bbs. They'll still break with bullets, just not into as many pieces.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads