JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We do actually have an ATV we use on a service road down to the range that we use for customers that are not physically able to make it up and down. We just ask for customers to call a day ahead so we can have it ready for you and my boss will personally drive you down. If you do decide to come down make sure you get a punch card and if you need help sighting in anything let us know-I'll hook you up.

I'm not infirm! Well, actually I don't know if I'm infirm until I see how tough the hike is. Wifey and I belong to JCGC so we don't shoot out doors anymore. I just thought it would be neat to come up there and scope it out. We only shoot handgun so JCGC is fine for us. Ya' never know though.

After sighting in my windage, I was thinking that the scope might be cranked over to one side, so I counted the clicks when I got home. It turns out that my vx6 has almost twice as much adjustment as advertised. I might make one more trip out there before I accept my Tri-County membership.
That's crazy so is it quarter clicks per moa? That's a really nice looking rifle you have too.

That's crazy so is it quarter clicks per moa? That's a really nice looking rifle you have too.
Ya, it's 1/4 clicks. It's supposed to have 70 MOA windage, but I counted 135 MOA. I optically and mechanically zeroed it last night, so once I get my bipod, I'll take her out again.

I'm not infirm! Well, actually I don't know if I'm infirm until I see how tough the hike is. Wifey and I belong to JCGC so we don't shoot out doors anymore. I just thought it would be neat to come up there and scope it out. We only shoot handgun so JCGC is fine for us. Ya' never know though.
I'll put it like this. One of my good friends who has been having troubles with medical reasons on both his legs can make it up and down the hill and that's with all his gear. The hill is a nuisance but manageable for anyone that is in decent shape. Its all gravel and we installed railroad ties for the steeper parts. My buddies grandfather says only wimps would complain about the hill but he's also old Army and is full of piss and vinegar.

Ill start by saying its not a bad place to go. It is safe and costs about the same as the gas to get out into the woods.

I dont like how busy they are and that I have been waiting 45 minutes to get into the rifle range.
This would be okay accept for the fact the range officer let 3 separate people go before even after I told him where I wanted to go. That's all.

He was giving good instructions to some lady's learning to shoot there ar-15 that wad good to see.

Also you can't really stand and fire your rifles[/QUOTE
]
I have been to the Pit a few times and have had to wait quite a while also, but our group always goes on the weekend. I do believe that the advantages there outweigh any perceived disadvantages. I like the fact that they have some good, attentive, RSO's there, since not all the folks showing up are seasoned firearm people. It is also nice to be able to shoot your own ammo. I used to go to the Clackamas Country Sheriff's indoor range but you have to use their ammo, and it is very dirty (the ammo, not the facility). I am a HK P7 guy and those don't like dirty ammo.

I have been to English Pit enough times to have earned my second FREE range use. Usually I get to the range as early as possible on week days; in fact, I was there yesterday and had the 50 and 100 yard ranges to myself long enough to zero on the 50-yard range and move to the 100-yard unmolested! The range filled up rather quickly as the morning progressed.

Most times when I visit the range, I use a two-wheeled game cart to haul my equipment as due to the distance I have to travel, I'll bring more than one firearm for the day's shoot. Getting up and down the hill is not real fun but not impossible.

My experiences with the range personnel have never been anything but positive. Most of my range visits have had Teresa as the RSO; so often in fact that I've gotten to calling her "The Range Angel" ("Rangel", for short!). To make a long story short, if you haven't utilized the English Pit facility, I would say, "Try it, you'll like it!"

Find a good place and a spur up in the National or State forest lands and be willing to walk a half mile or so and you have 20 million places to shoot. Walking is a thing you do with the feet and legs with foreword momentum to achieve reaching a point beyond 10 feet from the vehicle and a backpack carries ammo targets and tacks or staples and a litter bag or two. LOL.

Damn I should have stayed quiet.... Now I'll be run over with city yuppies all over out there...............Not.............. LOL.

That was my attempt at humor for the day :/

Last Edited:
Almost had the same "issue" with brass that you did. I got there, paid and went down to the pistol range. Set up targets and then started looking where my brass was going to end up. I noticed the netting and the wooden box to my right..... to the right of every shooting lane.

I walked up to the shack and asked about it. They told me that all spent casing were theirs. When it hit the netting it went into the box where they shovel it out.

I told them that I had some rare/expensive brass that I keep for reloading. She told me that policy was once it hit the ground it was theirs. I asked her to block the netting or block the box as I wasn't going to shoot and leave my brass. Basically "no" was what I got.

I told her that I wanted a refund and will go get my stuff and leave. Money was refunded and I left.

Haven't been back since.

That is really not the case. We support the reloaders and welcome you to pick up your own cases. We even have "plugs" for the brass catchers. That has always been and will be the case.

Find a good place and a spur up in the National or State forest lands and be willing to walk a half mile or so and you have 20 million places to shoot. Walking is a thing you do with the feet and legs with foreword momentum to achieve reaching a point beyond 10 feet from the vehicle and a backpack carries ammo targets and tacks or staples and a litter bag or two. LOL.

Damn I should have stayed quiet.... Now I'll be run over with city yuppies all over out there...............Not.............. LOL.

That was my attempt at humor for the day :/

-- if I could only find a place that doesn't require a 4x4 or awd within a hour of Vancouver/portland id be set. (sold my truck to get more "family friendly" vehicle)

Last Edited:
-- if I could only find a place that doesn't require a 4x4 or awd within a hour of Vancouver/portland id be set. (sold my truck to get more "family friendly" vehicle)

Too many places to even mention. But again you just have to be willing to park off on a spur and walk a while.
Its nice out there :D

Tis a big land
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRySJ2nRsne_4oeWZ5ftZx_v0j7LYyeJ8_lN3pBA1o7std_HoljRg.jpg

fsbdev2_023331.jpg

p4080051.jpg

slide.jpg

Spotlight-Px_Idaho-Remote-Vista-27467274_m.jpg

DSC00836.jpg

Its a Big land out there. Much is Fed or State Land and 2 feet will get you to much of it.

Are you one of the Range admins?

Not only that, I'm the President of Clark County Gun Club, Inc.

I am the person responsible for the various range rules, including the Brass Collection policy that's online at http://englishpit.com/BrassCollection/

There are reasons for each range rule or policy - many of which we learned through the school of hard knocks - this applies to the Brass Collection policy. I'll address some of these such as shotgun slugs in other posts.

In the case of empty cases, I should have included in my initial reply that we welcome the shooter to pick up and take with them any of their own fired cases. However, a shooter is not allowed to collect other's cases or dig through our brass buckets. That part of the message may not have been clearly stated to you while at the range (as I too just failed to do in my previous post). I am sorry about that!

We, like most every other range sell cases left by shooters to various places - it is part of our income stream.

That said, and again, you welcome to retrieve your own handgun or rifle cases, or shotgun hulls.

As far as our procedures, we don't profess to be know-it-alls and urge you to let us know of something that may not make sense or is confusing. I am the ultimate decision and rule maker. Maybe I need a suggestion box at the range?

Randy

Not only that, I'm the President of Clark County Gun Club, Inc.

I am the person responsible for the various range rules, including the Brass Collection policy that's online at http://englishpit.com/BrassCollection/

There are reasons for each range rule or policy - many of which we learned through the school of hard knocks - this applies to the Brass Collection policy. I'll address some of these such as shotgun slugs in other posts.

In the case of empty cases, I should have included in my initial reply that we welcome the shooter to pick up and take with them any of their own fired cases. However, a shooter is not allowed to collect other's cases or dig through our brass buckets. That part of the message may not have been clearly stated to you while at the range (as I too just failed to do in my previous post). I am sorry about that!

We, like most every other range sell cases left by shooters to various places - it is part of our income stream.

That said, and again, you welcome to retrieve your own handgun or rifle cases, or shotgun hulls.

As far as our procedures, we don't profess to be know-it-alls and urge you to let us know of something that may not make sense or is confusing. I am the ultimate decision and rule maker. Maybe I need a suggestion box at the range?

Randy

Good to know. I am one of those that still use our huge expanse of land out there and actually walk into good places to shoot :)
I used to be a member of Tri County, but after the kids grew up I let my membership lapse and when I went back to sign on and renew my yearly dues they said I had to pay initiation fees all over again because I didn't do some kind of notice and hold on my membership, so I said the hell with it and I shoot free now and without range spot competition or distractions anymore LOL.
Good that you chimed in here though. Always good to hear real people in the know tell it like it is :)
I actually would use tri county again, but damned if I will pay that initiation fee all over again after the years I spent shooting there with the kids.
Lots of places to shoot on the coast or in the cascades and the peace and quiet, except for my own shooting is sweet.

Ask them if you can sight in your 12ga slug gun. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. They won't let you...

This is unfortunate. We used to allow the use of slugs until..... A couple of Jolly Jokers thought it would be fun to shoot at the 4x4 posts holding up the target stringers - close to their bases. They were easily able to cut through those posts and cause the entire row of targets to come tumbling down.

Result? New rule - No Slugs.

As we work on the range this summer we hope to install an alternate targeting system the could allow both slugs and the ability to properly pattern the spread of a shotgun. We just have to be able to afford it! (I'm thinking a loan against my 401K.)

Randy

Good to know. I am one of those that still use our huge expanse of land out there and actually walk into good places to shoot :)
I used to be a member of Tri County, but after the kids grew up I let my membership lapse and when I went back to sign on and renew my yearly dues they said I had to pay initiation fees all over again because I didn't do some kind of notice and hold on my membership, so I said the hell with it and I shoot free now and without range spot competition or distractions anymore LOL.
Good that you chimed in here though. Always good to hear real people in the know tell it like it is :)
I actually would use tri county again, but damned if I will pay that initiation fee all over again after the years I spent shooting there with the kids.
Lots of places to shoot on the coast or in the cascades and the peace and quiet, except for my own shooting is sweet.

I too grew up on a farm in the Midwest where I would load my 12 ga or .22 as I walked through the kitchen door. I took those days for granted!

It was my experience with brass that the netting they use to direct brass into their wooden "catcher" was specifically designed so one could pull the netting over the opening so as a shooter could save their own brass from being caught. I then just picked up all my own brass and all was good in the world. I don't see any signs around saying that the English Pit range is a "lost brass facility" or anything of the sort.

We also have folks that will place a piece of cardboard in the brass catcher to block the hole. That works too.

Randy

Maybe they didn't catch you? I opened my mouth as I saw where it was going to land.

This was probably 1-2 years ago. Maybe the rules changed? I just know that I walked as they told me that I couldn't get/keep my brass.

:s0092:

The policy has always been - you can keep your own brass. We don't allow harvesting of others.
Randy

As we work on the range this summer we hope to install an alternate targeting system the could allow both slugs and the ability to properly pattern the spread of a shotgun. We just have to be able to afford it! (I'm thinking a loan against my 401K.)

Hey, Randy, welcome! Sounds like you are a principal at EP. Since you just joined us, how about you introduce yourself...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top