JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ill start by saying its not a bad place to go. It is safe and costs about the same as the gas to get out into the woods.

I dont like how busy they are and that I have been waiting 45 minutes to get into the rifle range.
This would be okay accept for the fact the range officer let 3 separate people go before even after I told him where I wanted to go. That's all.

He was giving good instructions to some lady's learning to shoot there ar-15 that wad good to see.

Also you can't really stand and fire your rifles

I'm not a slow and methodical shooter. I don't shoot one round and disect the placement for 5 mins.
So going to a range is aggrivating. Shoot some them waiting around for 10-20mins waiting to put up new targets.
I like getting in getting sighted in or practicing then getting out.

I'd rather spend the day in the woods. The price for what you deal with is way too high.

I went there once and it was not to bad. Was a Friday at opening time and the weather was crappy. Maybe about 10 people total. Now sometimes I drive buy and it looks like a zoo as there are 30 to 40 cars parked out there.

I do remember a time in the late 70s when we could be the only ones out there...place was a mess though as people shot whatever garbage they could haul in. Almost like going to the woods now :(

Now there is two... (we can delete it if it needs to be) I was just irritated when I was at the range today is all I went to blow off steam then I came here for the same reason.

--- oh but they do have stamp cards now. Pay 20 bucks 6 times then you get to go free once I think that's pretty cool

I enjoy a good "English Pit Sucks" thread. The other post is old news, there may be something new to suck so thanks for posting. I've never been there, should go someday just to take a look maybe. Though from all the things that suck about the place sounds like it might be kind of, barbaric there......Where TCGC sounds like it has a bunch of anal retentives?

Mike

Last Edited:
I know folks that shoot there, most don't hold it in high regard. I've never been there myself, and from what I hear and read, don't expect I'll ever head that way. I'll stick with Douglas Ridge. Nice club and good folks there.

I was there exactly once a few years ago. Handgun "lanes".. and that was weird/cool.. some people with their hunk a lumber target holder at three yards and some with them out to furthest.
My issue was that the fellows to my left left/bequeathed me their fallen brass (like 2-300 pieces), in simple language. I was thankful of course and was in the process of gathering it when a gal came down and insisted that that was the range's brass.
I told her no that it was indeed mine as it was given to me. She pretty much pushed the issue but I wouldn't back down and kept the brass of course. It kinda pretty much bothered me and I've not gone back.

But Douglas Ridge is private. At least you can go to English Pit for a day pass. Name me another public range you can shoot a rifle at all around here? Though I've never stood up with my rifle, I have definitely shouldered it offhand (while seated at the bench) without any problems at the English Pit.

The problem is that the situation around here for public ranges sucks, not that just English Pit sucks. There just isn't a single place for every type of shooting activity. Perhaps there are a few private ranges with more options...after spending the extra money. Every public range around here has its own annoying problems.

Maybe a few members need to get a chunk of private land and set something decent up. Sort of like a time share or something where those who by buy in can have a good time

Maybe a few members need to get a chunk of private land and set something decent up. Sort of like a time share or something where those who by buy in can have a good time

Interesting, as soon as you posted this I saw a pack of lawyers run by my house. I think they were heading for you :)

Realistically, it could probably be done if all the owners have liability wavers and there is a massive umbrella insurance policy on the land. I would not trust anyone well enough to do that kind of joint ownership though.

Ive had a few experiences there... none were that great.

Shooting at EP is like buying a beer at the airport bar... you are there because its convenient. Not that you are getting a great deal or it was your first choice.

I started going there about 10 years ago and stopped going after the RO came onto the rifle line and got in a guys face like a drill instructor because the shooter was not fiddling around with something while others went downrange (wasnt handling the rifle)... anyhow, with the glut of unstable people around I didnt feel that it was the best place to be with that kind of attitude... I kept recalling the scene in Full Metal Jacket when the guy blasts the DI and then himself... hahahaha

More recently it seems to be a calmer, friendlier place. Still have had to wait for lanes though. Since I rarely get to shoot anymore I take a lot of stuff with me and the gravel path is tough to navigate with a pack on your back, rifle case in one hand and a few hundred rounds in the other:eek:

I tried to get onto the 50yd range to sight in my .54 Hawken but a spot never opened for nearly an hour (while I shot at the 100yd range) Thankfully it didnt as I gave up and was able to get my .54 pretty much dead on at 100yds!

Ill also add that people arent the most considerate there while shooting. Half of the 100yd range was loudly talking about some stupid thing or another as well as dropping F-bombs as loud as possible to that everyone with hearing protection could hear.
I also tried to swap lanes with one of these fools so I could be as downwind as possible before lighting off the black powder rifles... but they were jackasses about it so I was perfectly content to send plumes of smoke into their sight pictures.
Also the new shooters are scary, guys bringing their girlfriends in to shoot.... nearly swept a few times, passing off jammed guns like hot potatoes... no thanks.

All that being said, I dont know where to go into the woods around Vancouver and my Oregon spots are 1.5hrs away....... so I still end up at EP.:rolleyes:

I've been on the wait-list at Tri-County for over a year, so I go to the Pit to shoot. I usually go on Saturday's around 10/11, and I've never had to wait for either a 100 yard lane, or pistol lane. It seems that most people with AR's, go to the 50 yard range, so it leaves the 100 yards mostly open. Other than the RO getting upset that I handed my buddy a pistol pointed downrange from one lane to the adjacent lane, the RO's don't seem to be overly uptight. Yes, they are expensive, but they're close to my house, and also close to grandma for watching the child.

I just want a place I can shoot out of a holster with double taps. And a place I can shoot 12ga slugs. And a place I can shoot my own ammo. And a place I can shoot my own steel that I set up. And a place I can stand/sit/prone/kneel without any interference. Sounds like I need to join a private range or drive way out into the wilderness somewhere...

But the safety problems can occur anywhere!! There will be no Shangri La of perfect shooters who never mess up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top