JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I would like to semi-permantly set up some targets and or target stands at my favorite shooting spot. I would like to use only natural materials that are typically available in forest setting so I and other shooters can reuse them until they are shot to pieces. The hillside of the pit is fairly steep (45 to 60 degrees-ish) and consist of loose red cinder rock on top layer.

The only tools I will have are an ax and a pruning saw.

I maintain this pit including hauling out trash that other shooters often leave behind. It is used often by locals for shooting.

Any ideas?

Last Edited:
Ice...either in cubes...or from Z-Lock bags of various sizes...
Pour in the water...freeze...then when at the range remove from the bag..shoot till its gone.

Just be sure to take the bag back home with you.
Andy

I would just dig a shallow shelf or two to set things on, maybe set a log or two in a shallow trench with holes drilled in for sticking target stand legs into. Just remember whatever you do will get shot up in short order.

More "natural" targets...
Small odd colored rocks...the aforementioned pine cone..dead leaves...wild flowers...
If you know someone who makes soap using natural ingredients...
Get the old , ugly "mistake" bars...those make for a good target as well.

While not natural...expended cartridge casings make for good targets...just pick 'em up after you are done.
Andy

A block of ice is fun to shoot at it is reactive and environmentally friendly !
1688048339875.png

Whatever you put there, don't expect it to still be in place and useable the next time you go. Someone will destroy or steal it, guaranteed.

Whatever you put there, don't expect it to still be in place and useable the next time you go. Someone will destroy or steal it, guaranteed.
That is partly why I want to put it on the slope. The slope can be navigated from the top down but climbing up the slope is pretty difficult and you'd better have boots laced up high and tight. I expect whatever I put together will get shot up pretty good, including by me :D

Ice...either in cubes...or from Z-Lock bags of various sizes...
Pour in the water...freeze...then when at the range remove from the bag..shoot till its gone.

Just be sure to take the bag back home with you.
Andy
I fill food grade buckets ( 3gal and 5 gal ) with water and freeze at work. They freeze solid overnight, and make great targets. Lol , I know not everyone has hundreds of cubic feet available in a commercial freezer. But if you do...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top