JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just want a place I can shoot out of a holster with double taps. And a place I can shoot 12ga slugs. And a place I can shoot my own ammo. And a place I can shoot my own steel that I set up. And a place I can stand/sit/prone/kneel without any interference. Sounds like I need to join a private range or drive way out into the wilderness somewhere...

But the safety problems can occur anywhere!! There will be no Shangri La of perfect shooters who never mess up.

Join us for the clean up (should be announced in the volunteer section later today) in a public shooting site about 30 minutes west on hwy 26 planned for 3/14. After the clean up we'll be doing some target shooting. Its a popular place but if we get enough people here to "own" it and keep it nice, it will be a great outdoor site for all the stuff you want in a range within a reasonable drive. (one location is about 120 yards)

some pics here .
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...n-about-trash-bins.187881/page-4#post-1220436

I was there exactly once a few years ago. Handgun "lanes".. and that was weird/cool.. some people with their hunk a lumber target holder at three yards and some with them out to furthest.
My issue was that the fellows to my left left/bequeathed me their fallen brass (like 2-300 pieces), in simple language. I was thankful of course and was in the process of gathering it when a gal came down and insisted that that was the range's brass.
I told her no that it was indeed mine as it was given to me. She pretty much pushed the issue but I wouldn't back down and kept the brass of course. It kinda pretty much bothered me and I've not gone back.

Almost had the same "issue" with brass that you did. I got there, paid and went down to the pistol range. Set up targets and then started looking where my brass was going to end up. I noticed the netting and the wooden box to my right..... to the right of every shooting lane.

I walked up to the shack and asked about it. They told me that all spent casing were theirs. When it hit the netting it went into the box where they shovel it out.

I told them that I had some rare/expensive brass that I keep for reloading. She told me that policy was once it hit the ground it was theirs. I asked her to block the netting or block the box as I wasn't going to shoot and leave my brass. Basically "no" was what I got.

I told her that I wanted a refund and will go get my stuff and leave. Money was refunded and I left.

Haven't been back since.

Almost had the same "issue" with brass that you did. I got there, paid and went down to the pistol range. Set up targets and then started looking where my brass was going to end up. I noticed the netting and the wooden box to my right..... to the right of every shooting lane.

I walked up to the shack and asked about it. They told me that all spent casing were theirs. When it hit the netting it went into the box where they shovel it out.

I told them that I had some rare/expensive brass that I keep for reloading. She told me that policy was once it hit the ground it was theirs. I asked her to block the netting or block the box as I wasn't going to shoot and leave my brass. Basically "no" was what I got.

I told her that I wanted a refund and will go get my stuff and leave. Money was refunded and I left.

Haven't been back since.

Interesting, I've always kept my brass.

Maybe they didn't catch you? I opened my mouth as I saw where it was going to land.

This was probably 1-2 years ago. Maybe the rules changed? I just know that I walked as they told me that I couldn't get/keep my brass.

:s0092:

Interesting, as soon as you posted this I saw a pack of lawyers run by my house. I think they were heading for you :)

Realistically, it could probably be done if all the owners have liability wavers and there is a massive umbrella insurance policy on the land. I would not trust anyone well enough to do that kind of joint ownership though.

Yeah its a nice thought. Was thinking about a piece of property where I'm allowed to shoot already (probably out towards the woods but private property) then put the land into a trust with a few others so i don't have to shoulder the entire cost.
I don't care for the pit because its a pain in the butt
I dont care for larch because of the idiots that are up there.

But at the end of the day you take what you can get.

It was my experience with brass that the netting they use to direct brass into their wooden "catcher" was specifically designed so one could pull the netting over the opening so as a shooter could save their own brass from being caught. I then just picked up all my own brass and all was good in the world. I don't see any signs around saying that the English Pit range is a "lost brass facility" or anything of the sort.

What I am gathering from this thread is that there are limited places in the PDX/Vancouver area to shoot, and they are crowded. Well DUH! The problem isn't the range, the problem is the people. I am glad I no longer live in that area.

"Ill start by saying its not a bad place to go." Your title says otherwise. I was the RSO on rifle that day. On a busy day my main focus is to make sure everyone is being safe and everyone is having fun. Its first come first serve and I really try to get people in as soon as I can. Since a lot of outdoor places in estacada have closed we have a huge influx of Oregonians coming to our range (I'm from Oregon) and unfortunately for our customers the range is usually packed on weekends but it is out of our control how many people show up. We warn customers about wait times on lanes so they can choose to wait or come back another time. If the English Pit sucks feel free to go somewhere else so other people can get a lane. For me personally I feel the range has changed a lot since I started working there in the last year. All of our workers really care and yes we are not perfect but we strive for it. I enjoy giving instruction and helping people troubleshoot anything they need help with. I will stay with any customer to help them sight in there rifle and I have for many customers-I really enjoy seeing a smile on a customers face once they start hitting what they aim at. I'm not perfect and I appolagize for not getting you in a lane faster. One more thing is that it is totally fine for people to take home there brass. If you bring it-you can leave with it. Ask for a piece of cardboard and we will pit it in the brass catcher so you can save your brass-I have no problem with that. Our range may not be the prettiest and I'm definitely one ugly bastard but I care. I care about everyone's safety and even if I come off as a little on the abrasive side its not out of disrespect. If anyone has any other questions or concerns feel free to come down to the range (I'm the gorrila with a smile) or hit me up here. Take care-God bless-Over and Out!

Wow! Let me be first to say thank you for coming to NWFA for the first time to give us a more clear and first-hand account of the English Pit than many who have contributed to this thread. I sure hope you don't take the title of this thread as such an attack on you and the work you do there that you don't stick around and contribute some of your thoughts to other threads. When not actually shooting, or working for the money to pay for the shooting, this forum is a great place to hang out.

Wow! Let me be first to say thank you for coming to NWFA for the first time to give us a more clear and first-hand account of the English Pit than many who have contributed to this thread. I sure hope you don't take the title of this thread as such an attack on you and the work you do there that you don't stick around and contribute some of your thoughts to other threads. When not actually shooting, or working for the money to pay for the shooting, this forum is a great place to hang out.
I never knew about this website till a customer told me about it so I thought I would check it out. Already I'm really excited to learn more from the knowledge people here have and also make some new friends. Thanks for being so welcoming its greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah I know exactly who you are. Yeah I was just glad the guy was ok and didnt get hurt. Weather should be amazing this weekend so early open or late evening should be the best time to come in if you come out this weekend. Were open 9-5 right now but soon to be 9-6. Laters bro

Oh yeah I know exactly who you are. Yeah I was just glad the guy was ok and didnt get hurt. Weather should be amazing this weekend so early open or late evening should be the best time to come in if you come out this weekend. Were open 9-5 right now but soon to be 9-6. Laters bro
I'm actually going tomorrow around noon.

"Ill start by saying its not a bad place to go." Your title says otherwise. I was the RSO on rifle that day. On a busy day my main focus is to make sure everyone is being safe and everyone is having fun. Its first come first serve and I really try to get people in as soon as I can. Since a lot of outdoor places in estacada have closed we have a huge influx of Oregonians coming to our range (I'm from Oregon) and unfortunately for our customers the range is usually packed on weekends but it is out of our control how many people show up. We warn customers about wait times on lanes so they can choose to wait or come back another time. If the English Pit sucks feel free to go somewhere else so other people can get a lane. For me personally I feel the range has changed a lot since I started working there in the last year. All of our workers really care and yes we are not perfect but we strive for it. I enjoy giving instruction and helping people troubleshoot anything they need help with. I will stay with any customer to help them sight in there rifle and I have for many customers-I really enjoy seeing a smile on a customers face once they start hitting what they aim at. I'm not perfect and I appolagize for not getting you in a lane faster. One more thing is that it is totally fine for people to take home there brass. If you bring it-you can leave with it. Ask for a piece of cardboard and we will pit it in the brass catcher so you can save your brass-I have no problem with that. Our range may not be the prettiest and I'm definitely one ugly bastard but I care. I care about everyone's safety and even if I come off as a little on the abrasive side its not out of disrespect. If anyone has any other questions or concerns feel free to come down to the range (I'm the gorrila with a smile) or hit me up here. Take care-God bless-Over and Out!

I was just throwing up a response to my day. I hope you also saw the positives we put up also.
1.safe
2. Convenient
3. Same price as a hour drive
4. Unlike other places you can shoot your own ammo, and use targets
5. Friendly, and helpful (the lady's you were teaching)
6.one of the only public ranges around
-------------
The bad is just part of dealing with a public range.
1. Busy
2. Pricey (see above)
3.more rules ( I understand the liability issues)
4. Getting snacked in the face by some guys brass
5. Steep hill that makes me tired (haha again liability.+ some exercise isn't a bad thing)

So as you can see the pros out weigh the cons. I am sorry if I offended you. The title is catchy to get some other people to give there feedback as you can tell.

I started this thread while standing there after a couple guys took the open lanes I was waiting for. I wasn't trying to say it was your fault (you were busy and I understand that) I was standing there for a half hour before with all my stuff and it was getting heavy. Lol.
Maybe I should have spoke up sooner but dont want any confrontation at the range :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top