JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Irony!
1652120828170.png
One of these things will be illegal in Cali in 2025!

For you Warbubblegumogians, Did the BPA ever get permission to run new power lines around Lake Merwin, Yale, Swift? I know there was a big fight raging about all that, and BPA was trying to force right of way/imminent domain in areas they didn't need to run lines, but wanted to save a few bucks! I didn't think Merwin, Yale, Swift, generated enough power to matter, I think Swift only has two turbines, and it's by far the largest of the three
I really do think you would be surprised the cost of building a transmission line. I must say BPA really is in a tuff spot with saving money. If they weren't a good steward you could easily be looking a power bills like Southern California.

I really do think you would be surprised the cost of building a transmission line. I must say BPA really is in a tuff spot with saving money. If they weren't a good steward you could easily be looking a power bills like Southern California.
Transmission line engineering projects are typically over five years, especially if you're talking distances from northern Oregon to southern California.

Transmission line engineering projects are typically over five years, especially if you're talking distances from northern Oregon to southern California.
Depends. Were at about 2 years from bid to start of construction here on SDGE property. We have several BPA projects that were awarded in September or October 2020 that wont see the light of day till 2023 at best. Lead time on material right now is crazy. Were ordered some fiber months ago and were told we would be lucky to see it this year.

Depends. Were at about 2 years from bid to start of construction here on SDGE property. We have several BPA projects that were awarded in September or October 2020 that wont see the light of day till 2023 at best. Lead time on material right now is crazy. Were ordered some fiber months ago and were told we would be lucky to see it this year.
Yeah, some project to faster than others. It really depends on whose property that the lines cross through. Each section requires environmental and each agency to weigh in.

Yeah, some project to faster than others. It really depends on whose property that the lines cross through. Each section requires environmental and each agency to weigh in.
Permits are crazy. Were fighting sidewalk blockage premits for freaking day work. No damage to the sidewalk or anything we just don't want people walking through/under our work area. Everyone wants a permit and their pound of flesh (money)

Little story. When I first got down here on SDGE property it was October. The job was to rebuild a section of double circuit 230 line. Part of this transmission line parallels a Kinder Morgan underground crude line. So the environmental compliance lady we hired goes on and on about these fairy shrimp. We literally think its a joke. It is a tiny "shrimp" that lives in a mud puddle that has a few to several day life span. The rain comes fills up the puddle and they spawn, then burrow into the mud and lay eggs then die. OK... So come to find out these are actually an endangered species. So the theory is don't drive in the puddle not because it could kill them but it could spread them. If endangered the spread and propagation seems like a plus but OK... So here we are lugging in on foot our stuff and here comes blasting down the right of way in a F150 is a Kinder Morgan guy right through the puddles and all. WTH! So the next morning in the show up meeting we ask the environmental lady what the deal is and she proceeded to tell us that Kinder Morgan is not beholden to the same standard blah blah blah.

May 10th is the next update for reservoir levels, and this will have some impact on the PNW electricity generation via the dams. I don't think the PNW will have problems in this regard - we usually export at least some of that power south and north.

I was reading up about Bonneville dam and the way it's utilized and it's history. It's a non profit entity, yet sells its power to utility companies who get to charge what they want and are FOR profit companies there on lies the problem when they sell it back to the public
Revenue from excess BPA power generation that is sold off to California is used to subsidize power rates in the PNW. So if BPA cuts back exported power to California, it could raise rates in the PNW. As I understand it.

We haven't seen anything yet.
Cali is toast this year.

Naw, we got it covered. We be saving lots of GigaWatts for other usage by reducing capacity by 25%...

My favorite statistic from the article is that another 4.9% of the charging units have cords that are too short...MORE SAVINGS!

We haven't seen anything yet.
Cali is toast this year.

Naw, we got it covered. We be saving lots of GigaWatts for other usage by reducing capacity by 25%...

My favorite statistic from the article is that another 4.9% of the charging units have cords that are too short...MORE SAVINGS!

One of the reasons California is short on water is a plus for power generation. Large parts of the state are hot places with lots of sunshine. They continue to add to solar power generation. Both in the form of large concentrated facilities in the desert and rooftop installations on individual buildings.

Not everyone can be made happy. Solar power is supposed to be good for the environment as it doesn't add to greenhouse gases. But many Greens believe environmental damage from large solar projects is ruining the desert. You can't have it all.

One of the reasons California is short on water is a plus for power generation. Large parts of the state are hot places with lots of sunshine. They continue to add to solar power generation. Both in the form of large concentrated facilities in the desert and rooftop installations on individual buildings.

Not everyone can be made happy. Solar power is supposed to be good for the environment as it doesn't add to greenhouse gases. But many Greens believe environmental damage from large solar projects is ruining the desert. You can't have it all.
PV panels are typically made in countries that aren't very environmentally friendly when they make their microprocessors (PV panels). Also, lithium mines are terrible for the environment and it's usually mined with child labor.

PV panels are typically made in countries that aren't very environmentally friendly when they make their microprocessors (PV panels). Also, lithium mines are terrible for the environment and it's usually mined with child labor.

I am betting that there is very little that we consume/use/buy, that is "green", or not, that in some part doesn't use child labor overseas and doesn't have a serious impact on the environment.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top