JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

I am betting that there is very little that we consume/use/buy, that is "green", or not, that in some part doesn't use child labor overseas and doesn't have a serious impact on the environment.
Completely agree! I just wish that the brainwashed left could see this. The right isint any better though, only the intelligent people in the middle can really like with open eyes.

I am betting that there is very little that we consume/use/buy, that is "green", or not, that in some part doesn't use child labor overseas and doesn't have a serious impact on the environment.
As a parent, I whole-heartedly approve of child labor.

PV panels are typically made in countries that aren't very environmentally friendly when they make their microprocessors (PV panels). Also, lithium mines are terrible for the environment and it's usually mined with child labor.
You will note I said, "supposed to be good for the environment." The truth is as you say, the environmental damage is front end loaded in country of origin on the solar panels. Which is the case with many goods we import from the Far East; we have off-shored the dirty aspect of manufacturing yet we can stand on our virtues as responsible stewards of the environment.

How to comment in this thread without making it political about how one side just absolutely SUCKS and is the reason for this mess because they consistently have aspirations not founded in reality…

Can't do it.

Looking at California's rolling black outs should be the only evidence people need for why it's a bad idea to follow the leadership there.

How to comment in this thread without making it political about how one side just absolutely SUCKS and is the reason for this mess because they consistently have aspirations not founded in reality…

Can't do it.

Looking at California's rolling black outs should be the only evidence people need for why it's a bad idea to follow the leadership there.
Only part of the problem is California policy. The major part of the problem is lack of maintenance and building of infrastructure by utilities. I see on a daily basis how literally the most expensive utility (rate wise) in the nation uses its money. Extremely wasteful mostly because of lack of organization and accountability.

Wind, solar and other "renewable" forms of generating power really are great as long as someone else is paying for it. I am not really plumbed up on solar cost but wind really is cost prohibitive.

Ohhh, but those thousand acre FARMS of huge, slowly spinning blades, are so beautiful!
One of the things that bother me the most about wind generation, is that they use balsa wood for the core, lots of it, making it hard to find balsa for planes. Also, when they retire a turbine, there's so much junk in the blades that they can't recycle any of it, so they bury them.

Only part of the problem is California policy. The major part of the problem is lack of maintenance and building of infrastructure by utilities. I see on a daily basis how literally the most expensive utility (rate wise) in the nation uses its money. Extremely wasteful mostly because of lack of organization and accountability.

Wind, solar and other "renewable" forms of generating power really are great as long as someone else is paying for it. I am not really plumbed up on solar cost but wind really is cost prohibitive.
Ok, but again, what ideologies are prevalent in the leadership of those municipalities that lead to decisions that inadequately maintain and support those utilities?

I'll give you an example from a different field - education. School districts get massive amounts of money. They push levies for new buildings, and let what was already paid for crumble and dilapidate due to poor maintenance and planning. The school district is not officially a part of any political party, but the severe and overwhelming majority of those in leadership positions share the same ideology and political points of view. So while we can say "it's not officially a political issue," it still ultimately is.

For that matter, the profession of teaching is dominated by a particular ideology and political thought process - this is well known. The results of the public education system are terrible. Maybe there is a correlation there?

And this just in....
"Washington just became the first state in the country to mandate that newly constructed buildings be outfitted with all-electric space heating and hot water systems.

The State Building Code Council voted 11-to-3 on Friday to adopt a revised energy code that requires most new commercial buildings and large multifamily buildings to install electric heat pumps. The Council will consider a similar proposal for smaller residential buildings later this year."

Ok, but again, what ideologies are prevalent in the leadership of those municipalities that lead to decisions that inadequately maintain and support those utilities?

I'll give you an example from a different field - education. School districts get massive amounts of money. They push levies for new buildings, and let what was already paid for crumble and dilapidate due to poor maintenance and planning. The school district is not officially a part of any political party, but the severe and overwhelming majority of those in leadership positions share the same ideology and political points of view. So while we can say "it's not officially a political issue," it still ultimately is.

For that matter, the profession of teaching is dominated by a particular ideology and political thought process - this is well known. The results of the public education system are terrible. Maybe there is a correlation there?
Most utilities are for profit businesses. PG&E, So Cal Edison, PPL, PGE all for profit. Some utilities are ran by municipalities but that is the exception not the rule. In California PG&E is the largest utility, has the most area by a pretty large portion and is a for profit publicly traded company.

One other thing is finding qualified people to actually work building and maintaining. Everyone thinks they can or would do it until the rubber meets the road. Very few jobs are as physically demanding as building transmission line on a day to day basis. Big, heavy, dangerous, hot or cold, rain or snow. It's not for everyone. If it was easy everyone would do it.

....and this.

I had a client ask me to review her PV plans for a court case against the installer. I mentioned to her I really don't like solar for a lot of reasons and she had no clue. The media and politicians pass "renewable resources" because wind and sun is renewable, but gloss over the other trivial details.

After the pandemic hit and the world shut down, there was a measurable increase of global temperatures. This was due to the LACK of pollution that was reflecting the sun's heat back into space.

And lets not forget PG&E is now on the hook for all those lives lost in the last couple ( Dixie?) big fires, plus all the billions in insurance claims, and lets not forget WHO holds the purse strings on that fiasco, Gov.Newskum, who is fully in bed with PG&E!
Both the State and Fed GOv, supply funds for power maint. and such, but instead of spending that money on what it was intended for, the state spends it elsewhere on other projects it deems more important, while pushing the old stuff further along until it fails, and fail spectacularly it did! Cali OWES Billions to the families lost, and those families will never see one cent of it, thanks to the Governor!

There was a 3 or 4 part series of videos put out by an outstanding journalist who really dove into the how and why of all this, it's a real eye opener, and if it dosn't really pizz you off, your dead inside!

I had a client ask me to review her PV plans for a court case against the installer. I mentioned to her I really don't like solar for a lot of reasons and she had no clue. The media and politicians pass "renewable resources" because wind and sun is renewable, but gloss over the other trivial details.

After the pandemic hit and the world shut down, there was a measurable increase of global temperatures. This was due to the LACK of pollution that was reflecting the sun's heat back into space.
That's it, I am pulling my cat unless the thieves get to it first. That will be my contributuion towards blocking the sun and defeating global warming, well that and all the smoke from my cabin's woodstove.

As a parent, I whole-heartedly approve of child labor.
I was talking to my son this past weekend and he was complaining about the crappy work ethic he sees in so many "men" his age, my reply to him was now you know why I worked your azz when you were a kid, to get you use to it. Both my son and daughter are hard workers and see the major difference in their peers.

Most utilities are for profit businesses. PG&E, So Cal Edison, PPL, PGE all for profit. Some utilities are ran by municipalities but that is the exception not the rule. In California PG&E is the largest utility, has the most area by a pretty large portion and is a for profit publicly traded company.
Thanks for informing me of that. So it sounds like they have a monopoly on service and therefore little incentive to improve beyond what might be considered the bare minimum of performance and service.

I'd imagine that the rolling black outs California has experienced somewhat reliably now would lead to a feeling that changes need to be made.

I was talking to my son this past weekend and he was complaining about the crappy work ethic he sees in so many "men" his age, my reply to him was now you know why I worked your azz when you were a kid, to get you use to it. Both my son and daughter are hard workers and see the major difference in their peers.
I made both of my kids "work" every evening stickering tomatoes from my farm. At the time, they hated it and complained that none of their friends had to work. Now in their 30's they are both quite successful and see the same thing as your son does. They also now appreciate the fact that it was the lesson not the labor that I was trying to get across to them. Nothing in life is free and when you use your hard earned money for things, you have a lot more respect for yourself and the things you bought.

Look at the bright side, when the dope crop fails because the grow lights go out, the show will be way better than watching California slide off into the Pacific.
Fingers crossed!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR