JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Funny you mentioned that. Sir, in spite of the snide way you did it. Here in UK, in order to get a Firearms Certificate, we DO have to have a thorough background check, and need two referees who have known us for at least two years to vouch for us, as well. AND six months attendance in a gun club. AND tutelage on every kind of firearm that we are allowed. AND tests of safety and knowledge of the law.

That way, we tend to have fewer loonies shooting the bejasus out of shopping malls, churches and dance halls on a weekly basis.

And if you think that the UK is going down the pan, gun-wise, just take a minute away from slamming the place, and take a look of the legal requirements in that other great shooting nation, the Federal Republic of Germany - even before you can even pick up a gun, let alone shoot it.

Because the UK DOES have background checks, instigated only after a massacre in Hungerford back in 1986, there have only been three more since then. I dare say that there have been three mass shooting this month in the USA, not that most folks pay them any attention any more.
The biggest difference is that the USA has the 2nd Amendment. With the Constitution being the Supreme Law of the Land, there is never any justification for restrictions on those rights protected by the Constitution.

Obviously the United Kingdom operates differently, which is why they had a much easier time enacting such sweeping gun ownership reforms.

Over here though, I have no envy of those laws, even if they have reduced the number of firearms related deaths. Just because somebody else has abused their rights, does not make it okay to take away those rights from others!

Again, different cultures, different governments, and different strokes for different folks!

While I am surprised and shake my head at some of the comments from gun store employees, I tend to cut customers more slack... Everyone starts at the beginning when it comes to learning about any subject and the opportunity may present itself to educate a newer gun owner.
To be fair, working behind most retail counters isn't going to pay 80+K a year.
So you can't expect Holland and Holland expertise at the local Gunz'R'Us. I don't think gun stores are different than most retail outlets in this regard.
I consider the owner/operator to be the final word in their shop. If it's consistently bad info, then I take my dollars elsewhere.

Oh well....
It appears to me.....
That you might just enjoy, looking for the/a BAD side of my posts. Or maybe, itching to see Anti-UK posts?

Or perhaps.....
Justified or not.....you might be judging.....based on a past post of mine? Whatever.

Enjoy the rest of your day.
And THAT, was said with only a GOOD HEART.

Aloha, Mark
Well, Sir, I'm so used to getting trashed on US gun fora that I guess I tend to read a little more than might be intended into posts that accentuate the vast differences of our experiences. I don't go looking for bad sides of posts, but I operate on the duck principal that if it looks like an aside, then it probably is.

I'll take your word that you had no malevolent intent in your post, and haul my over-sensitive interpretation of it down.

Well, Sir, I'm so used to getting trashed on US gun fora that I guess I tend to read a little more than might be intended into posts that accentuate the vast differences of our experiences. I don't go looking for bad sides of posts, but I operate on the duck principal that if it looks like an aside, then it probably is.

I'll take your word that you had no malevolent intent in your post, and haul my over-sensitive interpretation of it down.
@tac You've been a member here for a long time and honestly I think most of us are respectful and appreciate your posts.

But this is an American gun forum, and I understand when sometimes people here in America may show callousness towards UK laws. We have our own problems and laws to deal with. The way things are handled in other countries may or may not be important to some. Doesn't mean anyone is out to disrespect.

Some of the things that I had in my head about guns when I first got in to the hobby? This is only been 11 years ago. Some are pretty laughable now. Not "Stoopid" or dangerous though. But I must have sounded really noobish to some of the gun store folks.
Even if it was 50 years instead of 11, you don't know what you don't know. Remember the discussion on ogive comparators a couple of months back? LOL

There is just so much "stuff", information or whatever, involving guns, shooting, reloading, concealed carry, accessories, etc.. How could anyone really know it all? It's the guy that THINKS he knows it all that's dangerous. Many years ago, I remember being advised by a lowly Bi-Mart clerk that .223 and 5.56 weren't the same cartridge. What a MAROON! I didn't say anything, but knew the "two" cartridges had the exact same dimensions. Not only that, I had successfully fired both cartridges in my Ruger M77 and Thompson Center Contender. Then out of curiosity, I Googled to see what the Internet said about what he said. :eek: :eek: :eek: :oops: :oops: :oops: I listened to that lowly clerk a lot more closely after that.

Depending on the store, I've heard more Glock bashing at the counter than I hear on this forum.

I don't mind when people open their mouths and remove all doubt.
Surprisingly I rarely heard any smack talk about Glock, not in my time behind and in front of the counter. They were usually regarded as the standard.

I do recall one guy talking his buddy out of one because they, according to him, are extremely unsafe and will go off when you try to clean them. I heard that one a few times actually, that Glocks were less safe. The ironic part, is I think that guy ended up buying another striker polymer pistol.

Regarding dumb things I've heard at gun stores—Cabela's (which hardly counts as a gun store in my opinion) is always good for some gems.

The most notable is when I was in the market for a compact handgun. I had already done my research and had it narrowed down to an M&P Shield Performance Center, a Ruger LC9s pro, or a Springfield (I forget which model).

The guy assisting me seemed genuinely offended that I hadn't considered a Glock and literally would not show me the other pistols first. Instead he takes out a Glock 19 and tells me how it's the perfect pistol and that I better buy it because it was a great deal at 650$ Things he said about the other pistols: The "hammer" on the LC9S is easily jammed by lint (of course, the LC9S is striker fired). The M&P is "difficult" to control. And the Springfield was "prone to cracking."

I was polite and even handled the G19 and kindly told the employee that I've shot and handled them more than enough times to know that they are just not for me. I also commented that at 650$, there are much better choices. Lastly, I indicated that I was in the market for a more compact pistol than even a Glock 19. He of course said that "everyone carries a Glock 19 just fine," which while not untrue, was besides the point.

Needless to say, I did not purchase a pistol there. Not only was the guy giving terrible advice, he was a terrible salesman. If someone walks in wanting to spend money and has clearly done their research—especially someone who knows what they want—then let them see what they requested and stfu!

Brand loyalists of this caliber are annoying no matter what brand they worship!

Surprisingly I rarely heard any smack talk about Glock, not in my time behind and in front of the counter. They were usually regarded as the standard.

I do recall one guy talking his buddy out of one because they, according to him, are extremely unsafe and will go off when you try to clean them. I heard that one a few times actually, that Glocks were less safe. The ironic part, is I think that guy ended up buying another striker polymer pistol.
"They have no safety"
"They're mostly plastic"
"The trigger sucks"
"They won't last as long as a real metal gun"

Just some of the little gems I've heard. I'm ok with it. I don't care if not one more person buys another Glock. I really don't.

"They have no safety"
"They're mostly plastic"
"The trigger sucks"
"They won't last as long as a real metal gun"

Just some of the little gems I've heard. I'm ok with it. I don't care if not one more person buys another Glock. I really don't.
Buy Taurus instead! ;)

The guy assisting me seemed genuinely offended that I hadn't considered a Glock and literally would not show me the other pistols first. Instead he takes out a Glock 19 and tells me how it's the perfect pistol and that I better buy it because it was a great deal at 650$
I really have to laugh at THIS ^^ ! "Seemed genuinely offended" & "Perfect Pistol"

I bet his name was Chad?

I really have to laugh at THIS ^^ ! "Seemed genuinely offended" & "Perfect Pistol"

I bet his name was Chad?
Yeah, i have never understood the psychology behind severe brand loyalty; especially in the modern firearms market! There are so many different choices that are reliable and fit the needs/preferences of different shooters.

Now if I had walked in and started trashing Glocks, maybe the guy would've had more reason to engage in discussion about it. But I acknowledged that they are great pistols with an impressive track record!

If I enjoy something, I don't need other people to agree or have the same thing to maintain that enjoyment; I find most gun store buffoonery stems from people who have the opposite mentality!

Again, different cultures, different governments, and different strokes for different folks!
And an entirely different history.

Lets face it - America has largely in part been about guns - and they have been an enduring part of our history and development since the first people stepped on our shore.

There has rarely been any notable event in American History that does not have guns materially involved with it.

Probably one of the best statements with regard to this was the intro to the History Channel show 'Tales of the gun' :

'The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention which has been praised and denounced, served hero and villain alike, and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history'.

Posted previously in a different thread:

True story, GI Joe's had a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in .30-06 on the rack next to a .270 Win, also UL. The .270 was priced at $1175, but the .30-06 was $575. I argued with the clerk, it's the same rifle, the only difference is the size of the hole in the barrel. Nope, the .270 is an Ultra Lightweight, the -06 is "just a Mark V." He was adamant. So I went back the next day and bought it.

Beep, the price came up $1175, with the $575 hang tag still in the trigger guard. So I paid $575 despite a manager telling me it was below cost.

Too bad, I talked to the clerk yesterday and he assured me the price was correct.

Funny thing, I never saw that clerk again.

P

"(Insert anything actually legal) are illegal."

Walk up to counter and state something the store sells is illegal.

Interrupt conversation, "That's illegal."

Call cops on store for selling something they know is illegal.

1635725078559.jpeg

Posted previously in a different thread:

True story, GI Joe's had a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in .30-06 on the rack next to a .270 Win, also UL. The .270 was priced at $1175, but the .30-06 was $575. I argued with the clerk, it's the same rifle, the only difference is the size of the hole in the barrel. Nope, the .270 is an Ultra Lightweight, the -06 is "just a Mark V." He was adamant. So I went back the next day and bought it.

Beep, the price came up $1175, with the $575 hang tag still in the trigger guard. So I paid $575 despite a manager telling me it was below cost.

Too bad, I talked to the clerk yesterday and he assured me the price was correct.

Funny thing, I never saw that clerk again.

P
That's too bad, you might have missed out on more good deals.

From another customer to me:

"You know that you have to disassemble your AR 15 for transport right? You have to separate the upper from the lower before you put it in your car, or else you can get arrested."

Me:
Why are your Remington 700s $100.00 over suggested retail price?

Warren:
BECAUSE WE HAVE GOOD SERVICE IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG WITH THE RIFLE!

Me: Okay, I've never had that sort of issue. Bye Felicia

More gun shop stories......

Not a spoken word but I took my Kimber 1911 into a shop to have some internal polish work done on it. I had set up a day to bring it in with the Smith and when I got there the counter monkey took my gun and one handed pulled the slide back and took out the pin....then tried to pull the slide off.....when it hung up the owner of the store told him those don't come apart that way. New guy thought he was cool and was going to show me how fast he could take my gun apart. I politely asked for my gun back and before I could get out the door the Smith came out and talked me into leaving it with him. I never saw that counter monkey in that store again.....he must have done a few other smooth moves to get fired.

Earlier this year I helped a 73 year old lady friend buy a revolver. The store policy is to show you how to load and unload the gun then you have to demonstrate it to them before they let you take the firearm. Counter monkey could not figure out how a revolver worked and I had to show him each step.....my friend asked me " if he can't do it how can I?" I told her not to worry as I would show her. Counter monkey got so frustrated he handed me the gun in the box and told me to teach her and let us walk out with it when normally they walk you to the door before handing you the gun.

When my dad took me to the local hardware store to buy my first 30-06 at age 12 or 13 they did not have what he wanted so they ordered it. They called us when it came in and we went in to get it. They opened the box in front of us for the first time and in the box was a fancy grade stocked gun. The store owner quickly closed the box and said " opps that is the wrong gun". My dad grabbed his arm and said "nope, give the boy his rifle". They gave it to me. The store owner was a good guy but when that box opened for the first time and he saw the rifle he got a little star struck and wanted to keep it as he ordered two at the same time. The other gun had a standard stock on it. Found out later he paid the same for both and just wanted to ask more for mine.

I have heard all kinds of garbage from both sides of the counter! But the one that stands out biggest is..
A guy asked to see a new pocket sized striker pistol in the box. As he was going through the "added stuff" He pulls out the little kydex trigger cover with the belt lanyard attached and asks "What's this?" The guy behind the counter looks at it for a second and say's" that is a Neck Holster!" And the two of them talked about how the gun hanging from that lanyard would not actually be pointed up at your head! It would be pointed off to one side! DR

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top