JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A guy was picking up his gun from my gunsmith buddy. He stated that the nice thing about a .308 is that if you run out of ammo you can shoot other shells in them. I of course had to ask.. d So... How does that work? he said well you can shoot 243's in them. They are real load and sometimes the bullets hit the target sideways but that you can do it!
I remember reading a funny article in a gun magazine some years ago; the author talked about hunting (Alaska I think) with a .458 Win Mag.

For kicks he would tell anyone who would listen that one of the big advantages of the .458 was that you could shoot any other belted magnum round in it. .338 Win Mag? No problem. 7mm Mag? No problem. .300 Weatherby? No problem.

He thought it was funny to play dumb and laugh while the other hunters sputtered and fussed - "But, but, but… You just can't DO that!!"

:)

There is a bias to recommend revolvers to new shooter because there is a perception that they are easier for a new shooter to understand, and hence easier to use and also safer. There are three problems with that:

1) People see how guns are used on TV and emulate. Many people will pull the hammer back and try to use a revolver in single action mode. Many revolver have quite light SA trigger pulls so you end up with an inexperienced person walking around with their finger on a trigger that has a 3 lb pull.

2) Once you put a revolver into SA mode, how do you make it safe? Not always intuitive or easy. Even experienced shooters need to be cautious when lowering the hammer on a live round and take basic safety precautions like. . . Don't aim the gun at the dog while lowering the hammer.

3) Many DA/SA and DAO revolvers have heavy DA triggers. It takes time time to learn how to shoot a a gun with a DA trigger accurately.

Granted, ALL of the above issues can be resolved through proper training. But for many people, all the training they get is at the gun store when they buy the gun. Then they load it up and stick it in a nightstand for years. or worse yet, start carrying it.

Both revolvers and semi-autos have the potential to confuse a new shooter, I'm not a big fan of mandatory training before you buy a gun, but I'd sure recommend training for all new gun owners.

Can't expect the gun stores to provide comprehensive training. Plus there could be a liability issue such as: "The guy in the gun store told me to practice dry firing the gun" while their spouse, child, pet is lying dead on the floor because the person didn't properly understand how to unload the gun.

Anybody who wants to know the skinny on the history of 'guns for Britain' -

The British government didn't borrow anything from US citizens. As a private initiative by Americans, an "American Committee for the Defence of British Homes" was set up in the summer of 1940, with headquarters in New York and 364 local committees in all 48 states of the Union.

The aim was to collect weapons, ammunition, binoculars and steel helmets and other equipment (and also money to buy more weapons) to be sent, free of charge, to the British Home Guard, or any other British organization that could make use of them, or even, as they apparently intended, to private citizens defending their homes.

When the campaign was drawn to a close in June 1942, the final tally was 25,343 weapons sent to the UK, comprising 5,133 rifles/shotguns, 6,337 donated revolvers/pistols and 13,763 handguns bought with donations, 110 Thompson submachine guns, 2,042,291 rounds of ammunition, plus 16,322 steel helmets (including many German WWI helmets brought home by doughboys as souvenirs …) and 2,993 binoculars and telescopes.

The enormous variety – as regards makes, models and calibres – of the donated weapons alone, apart from other considerations, would have made any sort of military use difficult. And judging from the fact that some are found in collections with the *original label with the name of the generous donor still attached, it would seem that many were never actually issued.

It's true that the generosity of Americans of offering this material support [as well as a number of obsolete naval vessels, one of which was used later on to perform one of the most daring of all coastal raids in history - the destruction of the large dry dock at St Nazaire] was a major factor in strengthening the friendship between the two countries, although for other reasons, the UK soldiered on alone for another eighteen months, fighting the most definitive and apocalyptic air war in history the summer of 1940, and winning, almost against all odds. Hitler turned his attentions to the East, making THE most catastrophic and cataclysmic decision that most surely cost German the war - by invading the Soviet Union, and the UK had a small respite.

*A buddy of mine in the Historical Breechloading Small Arms Association has two such firearms in his possession.

main-qimg-d2b7817e750ef3db73968c1949c00c3c-lq.jpg

Many revolver have quite light SA trigger pulls so you end up with an inexperienced person walking around with their finger on a trigger that has a 3 lb pull.
Or, in the case of two of my S & Ws - a sub 1 LB trigger pull!

Before letting anybody shoot them I explain this and let them 'dry fire them' before handing them any ammo!

Is there any guess as to what might still be 'hidden' in the closets, basements and attics in the UK?
I get the gist of your question, although basements are very rare here in UK. No, there is no way of knowing. Given the way that British troops were shaken down as they got off ships of our of airplanes, it is amazing that there was what there was over the years. But the Brit military are/were an inventive and imaginative lot, just like your are/were. Hardly a month goes by without something unusual turning up, not necessarily from wartime. Like an unfired Colt Paterson in its sharkskin case with accessories, sold for around $200000. From the attic of an old widder-woman with no living relatives who was on state help. Or the Krieghoff Luger, serial number 00001, handed in anonymously and ten minutes away from the cutter's torch.

We'll really never know what there is out there.

What I heard was the British asked us for ships when they were engaged in WWII before we were. I never heard anything about them asking us for our hunting rifles or revolvers or other personal weapons, military or otherwise. ???
A good story on the "Hession Rifle NRA" Wikipedia.

To be fair, there are a bunch of century old metal guns that'll still go boom if given the chance. Some of those plastic parts may prove brittle over time…Guess we'll see.
This one is from 1800 - 1820's
I still hunt and shoot with it.
It took my last elk...I am wearing a jacket I made from its hide in my avatar.
Andy
DSC06814.jpg

I agree. But I haven't heard of any Glock frame getting brittle or breaking down in the last 35 years. I have seen the same 5 pics recycled all over the internet where a Glock went kaboom due to overloaded ammo. Of course, the 5 pictures claim it was because the frame is polymer. LOL, whatever. :D
How many of the Hk Vp 70z's have you heard of blowing up ? They were pre pre polymer and still going strong ! You know Confucius says " Haters Gunna Hate " !

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top