JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think I understand your point, and I don't necessarily disagree, but my literal mind says that I'd much rather have a gun with a full magazine and empty chamber, if threatened, than no gun at all. I understand full well that you won't always have time to rack the slide, but by the same token you won't always not have time. :)

When I first got my CHL, a long time ago, I wasn't comfortable carrying with a chambered round (except revolvers, somehow I was fine with that). Then kids came along and I wasn't terribly comfortable carrying at all while juggling diaper bags and little ones.

I made what seemed a logical choice. I knew that if I needed it instantly, it may be useless, but all other times it would still be useful. The extra layer of safety (empty chamber) seemed a reasonable tradeoff for losing the safety of having it available instantly.

I'd been shooting handguns for a very long time, and was quite confident of being able to chamber a round and hit my target in a stressful situation, but feared something bad happening with my kids if little fingers got ahold of that gun. A moment of inattention could have consequences that scared me far worse than a bad guy jumping me, and I really wanted that extra layer of safety that the empty chamber provided. That was my thinking at the time. I still can't fault anyone for feeling that way, other that saying that if you're worried about that happening, maybe you shouldn't carry at all until you can make sure that it never will.

My kids are getting older now, and I've seen the videos of self-defense encounters where the defender survives only by being able to react instantly, so I do see the wisdom in being chambered. More than that, I see the wisdom in training to a level where you're confident enough that you can safely carrying fully loaded.

I was talking to a LEO friend a while back, and said that I didn't particularly like to carry a gun, because of the responsibility. He opined that that was a good thing, and that it was the people who carry without feeling that responsibility that concern him. A huge part of that responsibility is being trained enough to do it safely.
That makes total sense to me. I'll admit when I first got my CHL I carried without a round in the chamber. I had a mentor I really looked up to who had been carrying for a decent period of time. When I disclosed my practice to him he was very blunt with me. He basically said "if you're not comfortable carrying a loaded firearm then you shouldn't be carrying at all." I took it to heart and quit carrying until I shot and was confident enough in myself and the weapon I was carrying. I grew up around firearms (mainly rifles) and my father had revolvers but was not a fan of semiautomatics. As a 21 year old I gravitated to the polymer guns but didn't have much experience with them. Hence the reason I began carrying without a round in the chamber. Looking back I would call myself foolish. We all learn and have our own comfort levels I guess. I have had very blunt conversations with individuals I look up to that have molded my opinions and my carry practices. It's not right for me to portray those opinions on others as absolutes. I apologize to those I have offended. It wasn't my intention. Stay safe everyone. Train hard.

https://www.boston25news.com/news/l...-line-northborough/N3YFFSC3PJERDJFEREBPFWAA7Q

MA, Northborough, Worcester
"The gun owner, a 31-year-old woman from Worcester told police she mistakenly fired her 9mm handgun, while digging through her purse at the cashier."

"The woman will be charged with discharging a firearm within 500 feet of an occupied building."

I speculate that the trigger was not protected - that is not in a holster of some kind.

ex.
View attachment 1072336

Or the holster was not one which secures the pistol and it came off while in her bag.
They're threatening to revoke her "license" to carry a firearm???

Yes, an accidental discharge is extremely careless, but they don't revoke your driver's license after you've crashed into a parked cop car. This is outrageous and I disagree with it.

That makes total sense to me. I'll admit when I first got my CHL I carried without a round in the chamber. I had a mentor I really looked up to who had been carrying for a decent period of time. When I disclosed my practice to him he was very blunt with me. He basically said "if you're not comfortable carrying a loaded firearm then you shouldn't be carrying at all." I took it to heart and quit carrying until I shot and was confident enough in myself and the weapon I was carrying. I grew up around firearms (mainly rifles) and my father had revolvers but was not a fan of semiautomatics. As a 21 year old I gravitated to the polymer guns but didn't have much experience with them. Hence the reason I began carrying without a round in the chamber. Looking back I would call myself foolish. We all learn and have our own comfort levels I guess. I have had very blunt conversations with individuals I look up to that have molded my opinions and my carry practices. It's not right for me to portray those opinions on others as absolutes. I apologize to those I have offended. It wasn't my intention. Stay safe everyone. Train hard.
I could have made nearly the same post, almost word for word.

Well said. 😉

Well, on the other hand, how many negligent discharges included a loaded chamber?

No need to struggle, I will answer for you:

ALL OF THEM.
Of course completely agree. And to me carrying with a round not in the chamber will cause the person to now conduct a firearm manipulation (of actually loading the chamber) while under extreme stress. Much more likely to do this and have an ND than administratively loading in a safe location at home. The other fear is that if the pathways in the brain are used to going to the range, pointing a gun and pulling a trigger to make it go bang, again under stress, the person is more likely to forget about racking the slide. I remember years ago watching a video where this exact thing happened to a guy in line during a robbery, forgot to rack the slide and then got shot or shot at.

But your assertion can't be correct since I read of countless people shot by unloaded guns during cleaning. :cool:

Wasn't sure, are you bagging on these or suggesting them?

Sorry kind of awkward quote / copy / paste.

I have not personally used one of those minimal holsters so I can't comment on their specific uses.

I believe the trigger needs to be protected. If I dump a pistol in my range bag, who knows what could get in the trigger guard - candy, shell casing, cleaning rod, lip balm. Then grabbing it out could lead to a bad outcome as the lady faced.

If I were to put a pistol into an off-body bag, I would want it in the pocket/pouch by itself. Or, in a holster of some kind in the pocket.
Get Home Bags might be an example.

I have had an Uncle Mikes, the first time I was at a group activity I was strongly encouraged to not bring it back. For sticking in a bag it was fine, for one draw it was fine. For re-holstering, not so much. It also didn't grip on the firearm - if you held up the pistol by that holster, the pistol would slip out. Which could happen with off-body carry. I had a Galco leather pancake-style, which would hold the pistol unless it was shaken. I think that would be better in a bag.

For a rifle I have used a sock-like holster, which meets the definition at some ranges. But as the trigger can be manipulated thru one, I went away from that style.

Layers of safety.

In general, I am never casing a loaded gun. But stuff can happen.

Sorry kind of awkward quote / copy / paste.

I have not personally used one of those minimal holsters so I can't comment on their specific uses.

I believe the trigger needs to be protected. If I dump a pistol in my range bag, who knows what could get in the trigger guard - candy, shell casing, cleaning rod, lip balm. Then grabbing it out could lead to a bad outcome as the lady faced.

If I were to put a pistol into an off-body bag, I would want it in the pocket/pouch by itself. Or, in a holster of some kind in the pocket.
Get Home Bags might be an example.

I have had an Uncle Mikes, the first time I was at a group activity I was strongly encouraged to not bring it back. For sticking in a bag it was fine, for one draw it was fine. For re-holstering, not so much. It also didn't grip on the firearm - if you held up the pistol by that holster, the pistol would slip out. Which could happen with off-body carry. I had a Galco leather pancake-style, which would hold the pistol unless it was shaken. I think that would be better in a bag.

For a rifle I have used a sock-like holster, which meets the definition at some ranges. But as the trigger can be manipulated thru one, I went away from that style.

Layers of safety.

In general, I am never casing a loaded gun. But stuff can happen.
I've had a Dale Fricke "Zach" for years, it works great. I have no problem tossing a Glock in a bag with it protecting the trigger.

Chances you'll ever even need to reach for your concealed gun are pretty low. Chances you'll need to point it at someone? Much less. Actually fire your gun? Exponentially less. In a situation where taking 1 second to rack the slide is the difference between life and death? Probably approaching the odds of winning Powerball.

Plus people in movies do it all the time to let someone know they're serious about shooting. lol

I'm betting it is a Glock or Glock-like 'safety trigger" knockin around loose in her bag. . .
It was a he... Kenny Wells, 42, black male, convicted felon, who shouldn't even have had a gun legally.

But, but, but... he didn't* do nuthin...

* Apparently, "bubblegum" gets caught in the bubblegum filter... Who knew? o_O

Last Edited:
It was a he... Convicted felon, who shouldn't even have had a gun legally.
Not really connected but have you read the story on Andrew Coffee IV in Florida. A felon who was acquitted of murder and attempted murder charges after claiming self defense when the police raided a house he was in. He killed a LEO and wounded others. He was charged for being a felon in possession of a firearm but was acquitted of the murder charges on the premise of self defense. Funny none of the liberal media is talking about that guy. That's their kind of saint. A minority. Killed cops. And walked. From what I've read it's a lot of he said, she said. I am no expert but I'm surprised it's not getting media attention.

Not really connected but have you read the story on Andrew Coffee IV in Florida. A felon who was acquitted of murder and attempted murder charges after claiming self defense when the police raided a house he was in. He killed a LEO and wounded others. He was charged for being a felon in possession of a firearm but was acquitted of the murder charges on the premise of self defense. Funny none of the liberal media is talking about that guy. That's their kind of saint. A minority. Killed cops. And walked. From what I've read it's a lot of he said, she said. I am no expert but I'm surprised it's not getting media attention.
Will need to look that one up. Hadn't heard of him. Thanks for the tip...

Actually I was talking about the OP -- described as a 31 year old woman who discharged in her purse at walmart
Sorry, I thought we had moved on from the WalMart ninny to the Atlanta airport ND. My bad...

And is it just me, or is anyone else annoyed that the media is calling these ADs instead of what they really are??

Will need to look that one up. Hadn't heard of him. Thanks for the tip...
He was acquitted on the 19th of November I believe. I guess it goes to show that no matter what status you hold in society (felon, criminal, law abiding, ect.) we all have a right to self defense. It all falls on the jury if you get to walk out the courtroom with it or not though.

Funny none of the liberal media is talking about that guy. That's their kind of saint. A minority. Killed cops. And walked. From what I've read it's a lot of he said, she said. I am no expert but I'm surprised it's not getting media attention.
because right now the media is busy suggesting the system isnt fair....

I have read it now...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads