JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
https://www.boston25news.com/news/l...-line-northborough/N3YFFSC3PJERDJFEREBPFWAA7Q

MA, Northborough, Worcester
"The gun owner, a 31-year-old woman from Worcester told police she mistakenly fired her 9mm handgun, while digging through her purse at the cashier."

"The woman will be charged with discharging a firearm within 500 feet of an occupied building."

I speculate that the trigger was not protected - that is not in a holster of some kind.

ex.
909%2F8996%2Fproducts%2FMPS-TGRD-HLSTR-BLK-00SIDE4.jpg

Or the holster was not one which secures the pistol and it came off while in her bag.

Lets see, new gun owner most likely, probably owned it less than a year and most likely bought it out of fear and paranoia?

These insanely stupid acts of negligence are becoming nearly daily occurrences.

I wish they would show a picture of the 'owner'.

There's a strong argument to instruct new shooters, who have minimal training, to not carry one in the chamber.
IMO if you're gunna carry without one in the pipe then there is no point in carrying at all. If you're not comfortable/confident/safe/proficient with carrying a loaded gun it may be a good idea to pump the brakes and practice awhile. Nothing wrong with that.

IMO if you're gunna carry without one in the pipe then there is no point in carrying at all. If you're not comfortable/confident/safe/proficient with carrying a loaded gun it may be a good idea to pump the brakes and practice awhile. Nothing wrong with that.
We don't live in a perfect world, and it's not as black and white as that. There are going to be a lot of first time gun owners who buy a gun, stick it in their purse/holster and never shoot it in their entire lives. Should they not carry at all? Probably not, but they do. Instructing them to carry on an empty chamber is a step in mitigating negligent discharges.

Heck, if I'm not mistaken, even the military instructs trained soldiers to carry an empty chamber on sidearms.

We don't live in a perfect world, and it's not as black and white as that. There are going to be a lot of first time gun owners who buy a gun, stick it in their purse/holster and never shoot it in their entire lives. Should they not carry at all? Probably not, but they do. Instructing them to carry on an empty chamber is a step in mitigating negligent discharges.

Heck, if I'm not mistaken, even the military instructs trained soldiers to carry an empty chamber on sidearms.
Not in the marine corps…. We carried condition 1 at all times while on duty. I understand the argument. And it would mitigate negligent discharges to a degree. I personally just think it's foolish to carry without the weapon loaded. But like you said to each their own. It is amazing to think about the number of new gun owners who are carrying a concealed and have probably never shot or practices clearing garments and drawing from a holster.

Last Edited:
That's good to hear; I always thought it was odd when I've heard Army vets talk about how they were trained to carry a sidearm.
I would routinely get talked to cause I never had my safety engaged on my m9. There are conditions, rules and SOPs for carrying. It also depends on your mos and what billet you're holding while carrying. Other branches may be different. I can't speak to that. All I know is ever day we pulled weapons from the armory we went condition 1.

IMO if you're gunna carry without one in the pipe then there is no point in carrying at all.
Well, like you said This is your personal opinion and not something that is substantive in any way - and should NOT be a deterrent to carrying if one so chooses to carry condition 3.

Also we are mostly discussing the 'civilian world' of carry, with new gun owners and not the USMC.

Would you say someone carrying WITHOUT one 'in the pipe' is the same as not carrying at all? Hopefully not because I believe one is still effectively armed in condition 3 - as opposed to not being armed at all.

Well, like you said This is your personal opinion and not something that is substantive in any way - and should NOT be a deterrent to carrying if one so chooses to carry condition 3.

Also we are mostly discussing the 'civilian world' of carry, with new gun owners and not the USMC.

Would you say someone carrying WITHOUT one 'in the pipe' is the same as not carrying at all? Hopefully not because I believe one is still effectively armed in condition 3 as opposed to not armed at all. I
Once again IMO carrying condition 3 is pretty much equivalent to not carrying at all. Unless you put in the time practicing drawing and racking the slide to the point you are proficient. That is just MY opinion. And the only reason I said anything about the USMC is because @2Wheels4Ever had said he heard the military carries their sidearms in condition 3. I am fully aware civilian is much different then the military. Whatever branch you served in.

Once again IMO carrying condition 3 is pretty much equivalent to not carrying at all.
A gun's presence alone is often times a deterrent. While I don't carry condition 3, I still applaud those that do, and take an active stance on self defense.
They'd be better suited if they trained, gain familiarity with their firearm, and carry condition one, however, many don't have the time, resources, or determination. I'd rather have that person carry with an empty chamber.
There would be a lot less of these stories if it new gun owners were instructed to carry on an empty.

A gun's presence alone is often times a deterrent. While I don't carry condition 3, I still applaud those that do, and take an active stance on self defense.
They'd be better suited if they trained, gain familiarity with their firearm, and carry condition one, however, many don't have the time, resources, or determination. I'd rather have that person carry with an empty chamber.
There would be a lot less of these stories if it new gun owners were instructed to carry on an empty.
It's presence alone is good until they call your bluff. And with how brazen criminals are becoming I am not going to advocate or personally take that risk. And to pull a gun your life (or another's) already has to be in danger or you're in risk of bodily harm. So injecting an unloaded gun into the fight under stress is a disaster waiting to happen. You may just end up giving the suspect another (possibly more deadly) weapon.

C3 is a valild option and in some cases can be argued better than nothing. I dont care if anyone does its no risk to me if they dont have time to draw. Id rather have someone untrained carry C3 than 1, gun owners dont need more NDs in the news.

. . . . Heck, if I'm not mistaken, even the military instructs trained soldiers to carry an empty chamber on sidearms.
To a great extent, you may be correct; however, keep in mind that regulations are written and enforced by commanders who want to protect their own careers. Bad stuff among the troops definitely can take the shine off a rising star.

In my own experience, my outfit carried customized M1911A1s, cocked, locked, one in the chamber. We were restricted to the issue holster, a pancake with a thumb release retaining strap.

On edit, I want to mention that our headquarters acknowledged that incidents may occur, but stated they would be treated as training deficiencies, not automatically considered policy errors. They then established a requirement for semi-weekly in-house training with dry fire and reload drills (snap caps were issued), as well as specific tests to confirm proper function of all safety mechanisms. The only really bad oops I personally know of was a negligent discharge inside the firing range training room (where no live ammo was to be present). That incident was courtesy of a field grade officer who had routinely found more important things to do than participate in the semi-weekly training. He served the remainder of his career filling a slot normally held by a captain (O-3).

Last Edited:
A gun's presence alone is often times a deterrent.
AND I would rather be armed in condition 3 than with no gun at all. Also if one actually were to research self defense shootings I suspect most were NOT of a situation where instantaneous draw and fire was necessary - but where evasion, cover and concealment could be sought out first - and weapon deployment (and charging) could be accomplished with little inconvenience or detriment to personal safety.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top