JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Expired passport will not work for ODL IIRC.

Birth cert. is fairly easy to get, but it takes time.

DD214 takes time too and the process to get one is obfuscated IMO (I had to go to three different websites and went through a convoluted process in each one before I figured out how to request mine).

According to the DMV's website, a passport, expired not more than 5 years, is acceptable as proof of residency. Since I'll probably be using that for my renewal, I'll find out for sure in a few weeks.

I have my passport - it's been expired for 4 years, but amazingly enough, OR will recognize it up to 5 years after it expires! It is time to get that renewed too, I just haven't needed it in a while, so it's easy to let it lapse.
Only in Oregon would a bureaucrat try to claim your citizenship expires every 5 years if not renewed.

Yes it does. But nowhere did I read that birth certificates issued before a certain date were not acceptable. I have researched it since, and I still don't see any age criteria. But they sure did reject mine for being too old.

Well holy crap, how old are you??? Did you bring em a birth certificate written in sanskrit text on limestone or something???:D

The last time mine was due I had to order a certified copy of my BC from the county where I was born. I then had no problem at DMV. It's my understanding that we have to do that just once. ??

In a way I'm glad they do this now because so many states give licenses to illegals and let them register to vote. I'm actually surprised that it's Oregon doing this.

Cheers.

Interesting, I just did a little googly search and found that the DMV accepts the OR CHL as both proof of legal name and proof of residence. It does NOT accept the CHL as proof of citizenship - what??

Oregon DMV Required Identity Documentation
legal resident immigrants can get the Mother May I Card and buy/own firearms. Thus SOME who have the Oregin Mother May I Card might not be citizens.

Funny thing, it seems that perhaps as many as two million ILLEGAL immigrants voted last November, and probably that many more legal non citizen residents also voted. But we have to provide proof of CITIZENSHIP to renew a CDL? I had to go through that last summer. Happened to have the came copy of the birth certificate I had to get for my first DL, and social security card, it also worked for my first passport years ago. I've always found it amusing that a piece of paper dated decades ago with my name and those of my parents but NOTHING established that the names on that piece of paper and that matched mine today is ACTUALLY the same person all these years later. that guy was about a foot and a half long, this guy is about two yards long.. four times. And looks NOTHING like that guy, but there is no photograph on that document.

Strange, the stupid rules these government hooh hahs make are senseless.....

I am renewing my OR ODL? My ODL is up in March and I have to go in to renew. Now, I find this a bit odd, but I am required to bring in a piece of ID to prove I'm a citizen. While I'm glad they are verifying this, I have to wonder, this license, which I've had since 1985 and renewed several times since, is legal ID to board a plane, get a BGC to purchase a gun and do many other things. So why, pray tell, is my still current ODL, insufficient ID to renew that very same piece of Govt. ID?

AND, since I do have to provide another piece of ID, does anyone know if current CHL will work as ID? I'd love to drop that on the counter at the DMV as my proof of residency - I suspect a higher than average number of snowflakes work at the DMV, though I have nothing to actually back that up.

Thoughts?

I just renewed mine a month ago +-. I got the same card from the OR DMV that you got. Took in all my papertrail. All they asked for was my previous ODL. That was it.

I am renewing my OR ODL? My ODL is up in March and I have to go in to renew. Now, I find this a bit odd, but I am required to bring in a piece of ID to prove I'm a citizen. While I'm glad they are verifying this, I have to wonder, this license, which I've had since 1985 and renewed several times since, is legal ID to board a plane, get a BGC to purchase a gun and do many other things. So why, pray tell, is my still current ODL, insufficient ID to renew that very same piece of Govt. ID?

AND, since I do have to provide another piece of ID, does anyone know if current CHL will work as ID? I'd love to drop that on the counter at the DMV as my proof of residency - I suspect a higher than average number of snowflakes work at the DMV, though I have nothing to actually back that up.

Thoughts?
I think part of this is that in 2018, the DL for many states is not "enhanced enough" for air travel.
I have one of those Global Entry passes for air travel - but I do know that WA CDL will not be valid come 2018.

If the CHL has a photo, that should work

legal resident immigrants can get the Mother May I Card and buy/own firearms. Thus SOME who have the Oregin Mother May I Card might not be citizens.

Funny thing, it seems that perhaps as many as two million ILLEGAL immigrants voted last November, and probably that many more legal non citizen residents also voted. But we have to provide proof of CITIZENSHIP to renew a CDL? I had to go through that last summer. Happened to have the came copy of the birth certificate I had to get for my first DL, and social security card, it also worked for my first passport years ago. I've always found it amusing that a piece of paper dated decades ago with my name and those of my parents but NOTHING established that the names on that piece of paper and that matched mine today is ACTUALLY the same person all these years later. that guy was about a foot and a half long, this guy is about two yards long.. four times. And looks NOTHING like that guy, but there is no photograph on that document.

Gov Moonbeam allowed illegals to have DLs in the People's Republic of CA

Passport works too if you have one of those - - that's actually the best

I went thru this last year. Since I did not have a passport, the only thing they would accept is a "current" birth certificate. How current can one be that is over 60-years old? I took my original in, and yep, they said it was too old. Really? So I had to go to the State and have a current "copy" made from their records. 25-more bucks and a day wasted.

WAYNO.
You're missing the point - they want the $25

Sounds like a good idea to me – assumedly in the past some have slipped by and who knows where they are from or who they are. So over a renewal cycle, all have to re-verify. It should isolate the BGs and actors who slipped into the system – in the past. Yeah I'm sure it is an inconvenience, but the BGs and others who slipped into the system will not get re-entry by a simple renewal.

I assume that as part of getting an Oregon CHL the one submitted fingerprint cards and had their identity proven as well as having no disqualifying criminal history. So, seems like the CHL should suffice as proof. Libs at work again?

Thoughts?
A coworker, on his way into Canada, showed his driver's license and (for some inexplicable reason) his CPL to the border crossing guard. The guard got all huffy and pulled him over for a complete inspection of his car.

I wouldn't show it, unless specifically asked for it.

A coworker, on his way into Canada, showed his driver's license and (for some inexplicable reason) his CPL to the border crossing guard. The guard got all huffy and pulled him over for a complete inspection of his car.

Actually, I wouldn't worry about showing my CHL at the DMV - on their own website, they list the CHL as approved proof of ID, just not proof of residency - so even the DMV seems to not have an issue with a CHL, though I could see an individual employee having an issue. I am tempted to throw it down when I go in, if for nothing more than to see what reaction I get. But I'm not worried, because concealed means concealed ;)

He was asking for it showing his CPL to them. The time I listened as a few Cops tried to figure out if a woman in the bank was legal with her gun it started that way. She was in there to do something banking. She for some reason felt she needed to tell the banker she was carrying a gun and had a permit. This lead to the bank calling the Cops. Some people seem to feel some need to tell everyone everything.

In my (seldom) humble opinion, i believe everyone should secure a passport whether or not you plan to travel abroad. It is the best identification you can have and is accepted world wide. It is now required for travel to Canada or Mexico and it can be used for any cruises you may "win" :rolleyes: (LOL). It also gives you "Street Cred" with friends and neighbors, it's patriotic, and it will give you a true sense of American Pride!

In my (seldom) humble opinion, i believe everyone should secure a passport whether or not you plan to travel abroad. It is the best identification you can have and is accepted world wide. It is now required for travel to Canada or Mexico and it can be used for any cruises you may "win" :rolleyes: (LOL). It also gives you "Street Cred" with friends and neighbors, it's patriotic, and it will give you a true sense of American Pride!

Agreed, some good reasons to keep one on hand. First got mine in 2003 for a cruise. It's now expired, just talked to my wife about renewing this year, and adding our daughter in now too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top