JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I went thru this last year. The only thing they would accept is a "current" birth certificate. How current can one be that is over 60-years old? I took my original in, and yep, they said it was too old. Really? So I had to go to the State and have a current "copy" made from their records. 25-more bucks and a day wasted.

WAYNO.

According to the website, a passport is acceptable - up to 5 years expired. I think I had a "certified" copy of my birth certificate at one point, I don't know where it is right now, so the passport is the best option.

I went thru this last year. The only thing they would accept is a "current" birth certificate. How current can one be that is over 60-years old? I took my original in, and yep, they said it was too old. Really? So I had to go to the State and have a current "copy" made from their records. 25-more bucks and a day wasted.
WAYNO.
That is NOT correct. An original is an original. You should have asked to speak to a manager. When I got my Veterans license plates the woman who was "helping" me said that my miniaturized DD214 copy wasn't acceptable because a DD214
was 8 1/2 x 11! The manager assured me and her it WAS.

WHAT??? now that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Just goes to show you how dumb these agencies are!o_O

They've been in the dumb business a long time...

Many years ago, DMV again...I applied for a Veterans plate for my pickup. It required a DD-214 to prove my Veterans status. Then last year, when I renewed my drivers license, I had the option of VETERAN being printed on my new drivers license. To do so, they needed to see my DD-214. I said, you already have it on record since it was necessary to get my Vet's license plate. They pretty much said tough shirt.

WAYNO.

According to the website, a passport is acceptable - up to 5 years expired. I think I had a "certified" copy of my birth certificate at one point, I don't know where it is right now, so the passport is the best option.

I did not have a passport. So, of the documents I possessed, my original birth certificate was the only thing I had on their list. And correct or not, if they refused my original, I had to do what they required, or go without a new drivers license.

WAYNO.

I am curious when KAli DOL thumbprint machine finally started working if it was just recording the image for Kali records OR, if it was run for a match with other records elsewhere.....in which case they would have had a match going back at least to my last WA CPL. One Benny of growing old? I read somewhere the older you get the less distinct your prints become.

Brutus Out

I did not have a passport. So, of the documents I possessed, my original birth certificate was the only thing I had on their list. And correct or not, if they refused my original, I had to do what they required, or go without a new drivers license.

WAYNO.

And people wonder why so many of us hate government....:mad:

My workplace requires Federal background checks, fingerprints and mugshots for all employees to acquire a chipped ID card with RFID protection (for doors, elevators, computers, etc.). 2 pieces of photo ID are required when creating that card. A State DMV card is okay, but CHL is not. Maybe some day.

I am renewing my OR ODL? My ODL is up in March and I have to go in to renew. Now, I find this a bit odd, but I am required to bring in a piece of ID to prove I'm a citizen. While I'm glad they are verifying this, I have to wonder, this license, which I've had since 1985 and renewed several times since, is legal ID to board a plane, get a BGC to purchase a gun and do many other things. So why, pray tell, is my still current ODL, insufficient ID to renew that very same piece of Govt. ID?

AND, since I do have to provide another piece of ID, does anyone know if current CHL will work as ID? I'd love to drop that on the counter at the DMV as my proof of residency - I suspect a higher than average number of snowflakes work at the DMV, though I have nothing to actually back that up.

Thoughts?

I'm sure that the website will tell you what is considered as valid ID.

I'm sure that the website will tell you what is considered as valid ID.
Yes it does. But nowhere did I read that birth certificates issued before a certain date were not acceptable. I have researched it since, and I still don't see any age criteria. But they sure did reject mine for being too old.

WHAT??? now that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Just goes to show you how dumb these agencies are!o_O

Government in action. About 6 years ago I was warned I needed a BC for mine. So had to order a new one from WA. Can't remember what it cost but it was sent to me after I filled out the forms. When I was at the DMV I was tempted to just say I was here illegally, wanted a license and to register to vote democrat. I figured they would not have thought it funny though and would have told me to go to the back of the line. :eek:
At least last time it expired they let me renew on line. Just wanted my money. Who cares if I can see or not. :cool:

It isn't dumb, it is clever on their part... the more fees the government collects on stuff like this the more they get to keep their jobs. Even if their department of gov. doesn't get the $$$ but a sister department does.
Reagan was right, more government doesn't improve lives...less does.

Brutus Out

I don't have a "certified" copy of my BC that I know of. Sounds like my passport can work, even though it expired a few years back. Apparently an expired passport is okay, but my current ODL is not :s0092:

Expired passport will not work for ODL IIRC.

Birth cert. is fairly easy to get, but it takes time.

DD214 takes time too and the process to get one is obfuscated IMO (I had to go to three different websites and went through a convoluted process in each one before I figured out how to request mine).

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top