Do you typically carry a round in the chamber?

Discussion in 'Defensive Carry & Self Defense' started by ravenswood, Aug 8, 2018.

Do you typically carry a round in the chamber? (aka "One in the pipe?")

Poll closed Sep 7, 2018.
  1. Yes.

180 vote(s)
    79.6%
  2. No.

22 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. Neither. I don't typically carry a gun.

6 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. None of your business, but I'd feel left out if I didn't vote.

18 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. ravenswood

ravenswood
    Hillsboro, Oregon

(aka "One in the pipe?")

Another useless poll just for the fun of it. Thanks for participating. Try to keep it civil.

Picture5.jpg

2. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator with a Black powder affinity... Staff Member Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yes as my usual carry gun is this :
    DSC03431.jpg
    I mean wait its one of these....
    DSC06041.jpg

Okay its the Colt series '70 pictured here and yes I do carry with a round chambered.
    DSC06046.jpg

My point with my first two pictures is that I am used to carrying a gun without any mechanical safety other than a half cock...
    Many of the same carry practices "carry over " to my modern guns.
    Finger off the trigger , until I am ready to shoot...
    And muzzle discipline go a long way in making a gun safe ...far more to me than any mechanical safety.
    Andy

3. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w
    Keizer
    This title is LCS CUSTOM! Gold Supporter

always

4. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w
    Keizer
    This title is LCS CUSTOM! Gold Supporter

my 1911 is an 80 series if i had a 70 series id prob carry it in a leather holster with the strap between the hammer and pin. yikes!

5. Mister Bisley

Mister Bisley
    Wilsonville, OR
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2018 Volunteer

Revolvers are always ready to go:D

6. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator with a Black powder affinity... Staff Member Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have never had the hammer fall , on failure or mishap.
    So for me carrying it with a round chambered , safety on or off as the situation demands works....
    As always one must do what one must to make the item work for you....which may be something different from another person....
    Andy

7. ravenswood

ravenswood
    Hillsboro, Oregon

For some, parking the hammer on an empty chamber is preferred. Usually on older guns without a hammer-block, drop safe, etc., but even some modern carry folks prefer it this way...

revolver-pic.jpg

PHOTO SOURCE: luckygunner.com

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Doin Patriot Stuff
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Always, and always in condition 1! For those of us who carry a 1911, that's the preferd method, and a Series 70 is just as safe as any other, and more safe then some! In fact, a series 70 is my preferd carry and general use 1911, ultra reliable and ultra accurate!:)
    20180126_210710.jpg

9. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Well sense I have seen how long it takes to load.one of @AndyinEverson GUNs I would hope he has it ready to go.LOL 2772.jpeg

10. Sniper03

Sniper03
    Appalachian Chain

Absolutely a round in the chamber because, in the case of an immediate threat you are not going to have time to rack the slide!
    Due to several reasons: In a situation a split second decision of human flight or fight is made. Then the Adrenalin Rush and the loss of Fine Motor Skills that normally one would have absolutely not problems with. And the fact you will do how you train which includes drawing the weapon. With having to draw the weapon then rack the slide, obtain weapon control, get on target and fire. Certainly if one could always anticipate the threat prior, the slide could be racked. But then there is the sound of the slide being racked which any scum bag would recognize. Making complete recognition of your location and intensions. Simply takes too much time to complete the steps of racking the weapon not having a round in the chamber already. IMO With this said there are some weapons that are not drop safe. The 70 Series Colt 1911 pistols comes to mind. That is one reason the Series 80 Colt 1911 pistols were designed.
    So, I guess it is a personal choice not to carry a live round in the chamber. But for me there will always be a round in the chamber of a Pistol or the Cylinder of a Revolver.
    The Trigger Finger is the best Safety God has provided us and a weapon with!;)

RLS, etrain16, Slobray and 6 others like this.
  11. slimer13

slimer13
    Deer Park

If you care to use the search function, you'll find several threads on this topic among other classics like 9 vs .40 vs .45 and storing mags loaded or unloaded.;)

12. SavageGerbil

SavageGerbil
    Salem, OR

Always. I'm less concerned with the fine motor skills talk than I am with an aggressor face to face with me. It's probably best to assume bad breath range on an incident, why put yourself in a situation where either of your hands, or the middle ground between, being disrupted means you're effectively disarmed?

I've just never seen an upside to an empty chamber, but plenty of potential downsides

partsed, Slobray, nammac and 5 others like this.
  13. albin25

albin25
    Lewiston Idaho
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Generally always chambered, cocked and locked, in a secure drawer or holster....
    ....'cept if'n I had me a Hi-Point. Then it would be unloaded and ready to throw*.;)

* unless it has the $100 bill finish.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  14. cigars

cigars
    Beaverton, USA
    DON'T CALIFORNIA OREGON. Platinum Supporter 2016 Volunteer

The Glock manual has a different opinion. Or is that them lawyers talkin'?

upload_2018-8-8_12-25-46.png

15. slimer13

slimer13
    Deer Park

I think that means don't stick it in your pants gangsta style.

16. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes

But once he gets it loaded it's pretty cool to shoot.its not every day you get a chance to hold or shoot a 150 year old gun IMG_20180629_140549.jpg 2771.jpeg

17. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes

And you can bet this CLOWN has one in the pipe .lol as soon as he figures out he has the mag backwards.LOL . 430088-e76db1aebf44d247df8f715bc85aa174.jpg

18. SavageGerbil

SavageGerbil
    Salem, OR

Actually that Glock manual is giving pretty sound advice, the "out of a proper holster" caveat is the key there.

19. edslhead

edslhead
    Vanc
    Diamond Supporter Diamond Supporter Silver Supporter

I know I should but hey, sometimes I don't even buckle my seat belt:D

partsed, Slobray, bbbass and 4 others like this.
  20. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland
    Sniper Bird! (What Retch Sweeney would say) Bronze Supporter

Some guns are pretty unsafe to carry ready to go.. like a Raven and a whole bunch more. It's up to you to educate yourself about your guns. I pretty much carry my guns loaded.