JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you typically carry a round in the chamber? (aka "One in the pipe?")

• Yes.

Votes: 180 79.6%
  • No.

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Neither. I don't typically carry a gun.

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • None of your business, but I'd feel left out if I didn't vote.

Votes: 18 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
(aka "One in the pipe?")

Another useless poll just for the fun of it. Thanks for participating. Try to keep it civil.

Picture5.jpg

Yes as my usual carry gun is this :
DSC03431.jpg
I mean wait its one of these....
DSC06041.jpg

Okay its the Colt series '70 pictured here and yes I do carry with a round chambered.
DSC06046.jpg

My point with my first two pictures is that I am used to carrying a gun without any mechanical safety other than a half cock...
Many of the same carry practices "carry over " to my modern guns.
Finger off the trigger , until I am ready to shoot...
And muzzle discipline go a long way in making a gun safe ...far more to me than any mechanical safety.
Andy

View attachment 486517
View attachment 486518

Okay its the Colt series '70 pictured here and yes I do carry with a round chambered.
View attachment 486519

My point with my first two pictures is that I am used to carrying a gun without any mechanical safety other than a half cock...
And muzzle discipline go a long way in making a gun safe ...far more to me than any mechanical safety.
Andy
my 1911 is an 80 series if i had a 70 series id prob carry it in a leather holster with the strap between the hammer and pin. yikes!

my 1911 is an 80 series if i had a 70 series id prob carry it in a leather holster with the strap between the hammer and pin. yikes!

I have never had the hammer fall , on failure or mishap.
So for me carrying it with a round chambered , safety on or off as the situation demands works....
As always one must do what one must to make the item work for you....which may be something different from another person....
Andy

Always, and always in condition 1! For those of us who carry a 1911, that's the preferd method, and a Series 70 is just as safe as any other, and more safe then some! In fact, a series 70 is my preferd carry and general use 1911, ultra reliable and ultra accurate!:)
20180126_210710.jpg

View attachment 486517
View attachment 486518

View attachment 486519

Andy
Well sense I have seen how long it takes to load.one of @AndyinEverson GUNs I would hope he has it ready to go.LOL 2772.jpeg

Absolutely a round in the chamber because, in the case of an immediate threat you are not going to have time to rack the slide!
Due to several reasons: In a situation a split second decision of human flight or fight is made. Then the Adrenalin Rush and the loss of Fine Motor Skills that normally one would have absolutely not problems with. And the fact you will do how you train which includes drawing the weapon. With having to draw the weapon then rack the slide, obtain weapon control, get on target and fire. Certainly if one could always anticipate the threat prior, the slide could be racked. But then there is the sound of the slide being racked which any scum bag would recognize. Making complete recognition of your location and intensions. Simply takes too much time to complete the steps of racking the weapon not having a round in the chamber already. IMO With this said there are some weapons that are not drop safe. The 70 Series Colt 1911 pistols comes to mind. That is one reason the Series 80 Colt 1911 pistols were designed.
So, I guess it is a personal choice not to carry a live round in the chamber. But for me there will always be a round in the chamber of a Pistol or the Cylinder of a Revolver.
The Trigger Finger is the best Safety God has provided us and a weapon with!;)

If you care to use the search function, you'll find several threads on this topic among other classics like 9 vs .40 vs .45 and storing mags loaded or unloaded.;)

Always. I'm less concerned with the fine motor skills talk than I am with an aggressor face to face with me. It's probably best to assume bad breath range on an incident, why put yourself in a situation where either of your hands, or the middle ground between, being disrupted means you're effectively disarmed?

I've just never seen an upside to an empty chamber, but plenty of potential downsides

Generally always chambered, cocked and locked, in a secure drawer or holster....
....'cept if'n I had me a Hi-Point. Then it would be unloaded and ready to throw*.;)

* unless it has the $100 bill finish.

Last Edited:
Some guns are pretty unsafe to carry ready to go.. like a Raven and a whole bunch more. It's up to you to educate yourself about your guns. I pretty much carry my guns loaded.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews