JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you typically carry a round in the chamber? (aka "One in the pipe?")

• Yes.

Votes: 180 79.6%
  • No.

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Neither. I don't typically carry a gun.

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • None of your business, but I'd feel left out if I didn't vote.

Votes: 18 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
upload_2018-8-8_12-25-46.png

All my manuals say something similar. Pulled up one for Beretta and it says; "If you carry a firearm for self-protection, leaving the chamber unloaded can reduce the chance of an unintentional discharge."

Probably just what the lawyers tell 'em to say for liability reduction.

But it's a good point that every(?) negligent discharge has one thing in common; There was one in the chamber.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and this happens invariably, but I don't think there's a legitimate law enforcement agency in the country that carries their weapon with an empty chamber.

I think it's what you're comfortable with. I wouldn't carry a series 70 condition 1, but that's just based on my acceptable risk level.

I think every handgun that's worth using for SD in 2018 has some way to carry it in a ready condition safely from which it can be deployed quickly. For old DA revolvers that's hammer down on an empty cylinder. Semi-autos would be round in the chamber with some safety like long/heavy trigger pull or manual safety. Combinations of safeties are redundant and borderline unwise unless the person trains manipulating all of them.

The only handgun I can think of that someone may not have a way to safely carry, in a ready condition is SA revolver.

I suppose a case could be made that cocking the hammer is like disabling a manual safety, but I don't think that really passes on close scrutiny when you consider having to break your firing grip after each shot to cock the hammer.

I suppose you could fan the hammer, but unless you're Wild Bill, fanning a revolver in a SD shooting seems ridiculous. Plus no one wants to attack an 85 year old man dressed like John Wayne anyways.

For a SA action revolver like a Colt SAA or cap and ball revolver to be carried on "safe" is to
Load one chamber of the cylinder...skip the next one in line , then load the rest...this will ensure that the empty chamber is under the hammer until the revolver is cocked....

For a cap and ball revolver...
Load all the chambers but then cap as above for a Colt SAA....
Andy

... I don't think there's a legitimate law enforcement agency in the country that carries their weapon with an empty chamber.

In all fairness, if I were a cop and constantly facing off with people who'd like to kill me, I'd carry one in the pipe too (regardless of how I carried as a suburbanite.)

And then there's this: "'Israeli carry' is a colloquial term that refers to carrying a semiautomatic pistol with a loaded magazine inserted into the pistol but without a round in the chamber."

To be completely fair on the 1911, which ever series you carry, the issues are/were never proven, and for a carry pistol, what are the chances of you dropping it, or any of the other "causes" that folks have tried to argue against?????
There is a lot of miss information out there in the world about carrying a loaded 1911 in condition 1!

To be completely fair on the 1911, which ever series you carry, the issues are/were never proven, and for a carry pistol, what are the chances of you dropping it, or any of the other "causes" that folks have tried to argue against?????
There is a lot of miss information out there in the world about carrying a loaded 1911 in condition 1!
One argument is the safety, as its a thumb safety as opposed to what the glock has. But to me this is just one of those things where people make up an issue. One can learn to draw and take safety off at the same time, then there's the fact that it has a grip safety that needs to be pressed in order to be fired.

Hey...Hey...Lay off of my mouse pistol...:D:D
Lol long story short .I had a ravan arms .25 cal
Basically what they call a Saturday night spl .
Mmmmm accedental discharge .and shot my step brother years ago .he lived it was a flesh wound but still .that gun made it's way to the sheriff department garbage can.

John Browning originally designed and submitted the 1911 with no safety ...other than the "grip safety".
It was the Army that requested the thumb safety.

Again for me and how I carry my Colt series '70 ...my way , chamber loaded ...safety on or off as the situation demands...has worked for me for years....
What works for someone else is all good ...for them.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top