JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
About 15 years ago I had a few large bags of rice that when I went to open one maybe a year later, there were a couple of large bugs in there and they were alive. Since then I always freeze my rice in the freezer. That said I recently bought 50 lb bags of rice that I can't fit in there because my freezer is full, well, with the first one and the bags of beans I was able to git them in individually after I had eaten most of the freezer down, but it is full right now due to a fairly recent grocery run. The rice was one of the last in stock and I figured why not, let me get more rice and beans to add to my food stockpile. Anyways, I've read that I can use oxygen absorbers before sealing the rice in buckets but....

1) Do I really need to do this (freeze or use oxygen absorbers)?
2) Should I do it with beans as well? I have been freezing the beans as well, but this is a tedious task with all this stuff.
3) I presume leaving the buckets sealed like this for a day or two should be enough to kill any bugs and their eggs due to lack of oxygen so it would be safe after that to open and use periodically?

Pantry moths can eat thru the plastic bags and cardboard boxes dry goods come in. All my dry goods go in tightly sealed jars and i havent had a problem since

Oxygen packets in a double seal food grade bucket and a tiny bit of diatomaceous earth will cure any pest problem. I've had buckets with rice for many years with no problems whatsoever. Bob's Red Mill in Milwaukie is the go to place.

I've always sealed in 5 gallon buckets with those screw in lids like you find at WinCo.
When you drop the store bought bag into your container it is a good time to do a quick inspection upon the pour.

Pantry moths can eat thru the plastic bags and cardboard boxes dry goods come in. All my dry goods go in tightly sealed jars and i havent had a problem since

So can mice.

I don't buy bulk foods from open containers in stores (like at Winco). Pests (that you don't notice) can get in there and hatch later. I prefer sealed containers for food, especially things like rice, flour, etc.

You can buy rice, and flour and some other things in vacuum sealed bags that most pests can't survive in.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top