JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tiger is the bottom budget brand. In order... Zojirushi, Panasonic... then Tiger. They all work, but mainly longevity (the machine itself as well as the quality and durability of the inner cook pot) and ability to keep rice warm over extended periods without drying are where there can be a big difference.

IE., In Japanese households it's common to make your daily rice in the morning... then your cooker keeps it hot, fresh and ready to serve for use throughout the day. Lower quality cookers are more prone to crusty dry rice after just 3-4 hours and inedible by nightfall. For those you usually turn it off after it's done cooking then add a little water and use the reheat feature 30-40min before eating later in the day. That has a tendency to slightly overcook your rice though.
Never had one last less than 10 years. And they keep rice warm for more than 1 day without drying out. American ones are the absolute worst. Jasmine rice though, might be a little different experience.

Never had one last less than 10 years. And they keep rice warm for more than 1 day without drying out. American ones are the absolute worst. Jasmine rice though, might be a little different experience.
Usage rate likely make a difference. Running near daily... 12+hrs a day vs "occasionally" certainly helps extend the service life. Overall quality control maters too in possible premature "death". ;)

I would have to say though... considering the shear volume of people in Japan using rice cookers on a daily basis.... aka, "everyone"... the available data pool is fairly significant when it comes to the various brands.;)

The price points in Japan are also more apparent.. vs.. foreign country imports. Tiger is significantly less expensive in Japan, but just like most things, they are priced according to the foreign market.

IE., In Japan I can buy curry mix... ranging from the cheapest brand to the most expensive... around $2-$7. In the U.S... the only brands available are the $2-$3 variety, but still costs me $7+ a box.😜

To be clear... I'm not saying Tiger brand are trash or won't be suitable. It is a very common brand. Third out of the top 3 ain't nothing to shake a stick at. Just that of the 3 main brands in common use... they are more of an inexpensive budget brand in Japan and don't enjoy the same reliability reputation as the Panasonic or upper tier Zojirushi.

To complete the trifecta you need a storage/dispenser bin. I think ours is Zojirushi as well.
Yeah. They can get pretty fancy and pre-measured dispensers. Some even have a built in rice wash and strain feature.

For smaller quantities, these work real well and inexpensive. If you use a Japanese rice cooker, the measuring cup is nice since the water fill measurements are set for a "Japanese portion" of rice... 180g's... instead of guessing "a touch more" than 3/4 cup. ;)
1693282151063.png

Usage rate likely make a difference. Running near daily... 12+hrs a day
Daily; sometimes twice daily, you probably get the picture. I just got a little annoyed you'd call it "bargain". Maybe compared to your Zojirushi, but light years better than you can pick up at a typical US box store. They are not like a POS Jennings or even a Taurus. 99% of the folks on here would presume you meant dollar store quality with the way you phrased that.

So, just so everyone understands, it is among the top quality. In. The. World. Like, well over 500 million in use. Every day.

No need to come off kinda snobby. There are other Asian countries besides Japan that cook rice.

Daily; sometimes twice daily, you probably get the picture. I just got a little annoyed you'd call it "bargain". Maybe compared to your Zojirushi, but light years better than you can pick up at a typical US box store. They are not like a POS Jennings or even a Taurus. 99% of the folks on here would presume you meant dollar store quality with the way you phrased that.

So, just so everyone understands, it is among the top quality. In. The. World. Like, well over 500 million in use. Every day.

No need to come off kinda snobby. There are other Asian countries besides Japan that cook rice.
I didn't intend to sound snobby about it. "Budget option" isn't nearly the same as calling them dollar tree trash. I seems maybe there is a little oversensitivity about it on your part(??) Speaking for 99% of the folks on here though... I guess you must be right, though, hu. My bad!:s0155:

It's one of the top 3. I was just reacting to the "Tiger or nothing" comment... as if it's the top brand over all others... like Zojirushi which has had the leading market share... worldwide... year after year... and not without reason.

I can only speak from a Japanese perspective and experience of the "made in Japan" rice cookers (like Tiger). I've owned a Tiger brand, myself. Within the Japan market... they are much cheaper than the other two, not as refined/user friendly, less feature rich, and don't have as good of a reputation in the quality control and life span department as the other 2. A lot of people own them though.. or they wouldn't be in the top 3.🤣

I'm sorry if that offends you, but it's simply stating the facts and didn't mean anyone to take it as me saying they are a waste of money or wouldn't be a suitable choice.

You love yours... it suits your needs... Great!!👍

I didn't intend to sound snobby about it. "Budget option" isn't nearly the same as calling them dollar tree trash. I seems maybe there is a little oversensitivity about it on your part(??) Speaking for 99% of the folks on here though... I guess you must be right, though, hu. My bad!:s0155:

It's one of the top 3. I was just reacting to the "Tiger or nothing" comment... as if it's the top brand over all others... like Zojirushi which has had the leading market share... worldwide... year after year... and not without reason.

I can only speak from a Japanese perspective and experience of the "made in Japan" rice cookers (like Tiger). I've owned a Tiger brand, myself. Within the Japan market... they are much cheaper than the other two, not as refined/user friendly, less feature rich, and don't have as good of a reputation in the quality control and life span department as the other 2. A lot of people own them though.. or they wouldn't be in the top 3.🤣

I'm sorry if that offends you, but it's simply stating the facts and didn't mean anyone to take it as me saying they are a waste of money or wouldn't be a suitable choice.

You love yours... it suits your needs... Great!!👍
It's ok. I think Glocks are trash, so I can relate.

The simple, analog types have worked well for me.
And no, you're not going to "hold" the cooked rice all day. Cook your rice (perfectly) per meal.
The click of the "done switch" on these becomes a happy kitchen sound.
For a 1st dedicated rice cooker I'd go with something like this :

Zojirushi 3-Cup

Pro Tips (learnt from a Japanese woman):
For those that may not know, keep the "rice paddle" wet with cold water to limit sticking.

A dish washing net cloth is a great, scratch-free to way to clean a rice cooker.

Last Edited:
Bought a bag because I love sticky rice. Had some this morning with a bit of soy sauce and three eggs with runny yolks all mixed in. Tasty!!!! Thanks for the tip.
Whenever I'm in an Asian market I get some fresh-made:

"Lo Mai Gai is sticky rice wrapped in a lotus leaf and the rice is stuffed with a savory center consisting of an egg yolk, chicken, Chinese sausage, and shiitake mushrooms."

It might more properly be called glutinous rice? because you eat a bunch.

Lool

Just no "bloody eggs" !
I was in an Asian market and made the mistake of asking an Asian woman about the duck eggs that she was buying.
"They're bloody inside and sometimes you get a baby duck !"

Um
Yikes !

The simple, analog types have worked well for me.
And no, you're not going to "hold" the cooked rice all day. Cook your rice (perfectly) per meal.
The click of the "done switch" on these becomes a happy kitchen sound.
The shmancy ones play a pleasant little musical tune.... given no other viable reason to upgrade.:s0140:

I get it though. My granddaughter is a rice freak and goes bonkers jumping and dancing when she hears the rice cooker tune go off.😜

Pro tip: With any type rice cooker... wait an additional 10min before opening for "finish steaming" after your rice cooker "clicks" or "chimes" it's ready. Always fluff gently then serve.👍

Last Edited:
Just no "bloody eggs" !
I was in an Asian market and made the mistake of asking an Asian woman about the duck eggs that she was buying.
"They're bloody inside and sometimes you get a baby duck !"

Um
Yikes !
Blechhh.... !! You're supposed to get a chick. Just bloody would be disgusting and a "dud". I don't know anyone that would eat them that way.

*Not universally consumed in all Asian countries. Some of us realize... that's just messed up!🤣

Rice fun fact :

I like "Running Deer" brand Jasmine rice.
I think it's a nice middle ground in regards to the Japanese and the Chinese varieties.
I love the "nutty" aroma and taste.

Come to find out, some Japanese cannot stand the smell of Thai rice cooking.
Who knew ?

Blechhh.... !! You're supposed to get a chick. Just bloody would be disgusting and a "dud". I don't know anyone that would eat them that way.

*Not universally consumed in all Asian countries. Some of us realize... that's just messed up!🤣
One of those "cultural things" I suppose.
There I was, talking to a beautiful Asian woman that ate baby ducks !

But who am I to judge ?
My grandfather from Ireland made blood sausage from duck and goose blood.
As kids, we gobbled that stuff up !

Come to find out, some Japanese cannot stand the smell of Thai rice cooking.
Who knew ?
This is true of some Thai rice. It's just a different processing method. In Japan dehusking is done by a "polishing" process. Some Thai rice is dehusked by a boiling process that transfers sulfides/odors/flavors from the husk into the rice. The steam vapor coming off a pot isn't exactly pleasant... if you're not used to it.

EDIT: Pro tip... Never ask your Thai friend, "Why does your rice have a faint hint of compost pile to it?" :D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads