JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Keeps my barbecue guest list on the short side. And durian for dessert. Yum! You should taste what my friends can do with elk stomach and intestines. Gotta have that rice, though. Now where is that "What's on the Grill Tonight" thread...

spam musubi_zpsou41dpha.JPG

Hey... How is that hickory smoked? I've never tried any of the flavored shtuff until just a few days ago. They had a good deal on maple... so I figured... "why not? I don't mind syrup on sausage and eggs sometimes...". It's just okay, but I did notice the hickory smoked... and it's sounds like something more my speed but I wasn't brave enough to try a can at full price. :D

It is good. Takes just like you would expect, Spam with a smoke flavor. But then I like just about anything with a smoked flavor.
Thanks. I really like smoke flavor, but not so hot about liquid smoke dipped... only a thin layer on the outside artificial flavoring... or sweet smoked "glazes".

I'll give it a try.

I buy the (50 pound bag) Japanese/California and/or Korean, medium grain rice. The GF likes/buys the Jasmine rice from Thailand.

BUT, But, but.....over a dollar a pound (on sale). OMG......prices have gone up. I guess I should be thanking Brandon for the price inflation.

Aloha, Mark

Thanks. I really like smoke flavor, but not so hot about liquid smoke dipped... only a thin layer on the outside artificial flavoring... or sweet smoked "glazes".

I'll give it a try.
I like Spam. I tried some of the flavored ones and did not care for any of them except for the Hickory smoked one. I cook it the air fryer. Turns out crispy.

I like Spam. I tried some of the flavored ones and did not care for any of them except for the Hickory smoked one. I cook it the air fryer. Turns out crispy.
Good to know! Thanks!
It was the first time I've really looked at the flavored stuff and some of it sounded interesting, but the maple was just... mehhhh. I won't throw out the other cans, but won't be buying it again.

I got a Tiger cooker from Costco. Just wanted a smaller more advanced unit to replace my 20 year old Hitachi. I only use it a few times a month so I'm sure the Tiger is fine for my needs. Was a very good deal at Costco.

I got a Tiger cooker from Costco. Just wanted a smaller more advanced unit to replace my 20 year old Hitachi. I only use it a few times a month so I'm sure the Tiger is fine for my needs. Was a very good deal at Costco.
Yeah. A $200 major appliance really isn't necessary. Neither is a 5cup. Even with 6 people in our home growing up, it wasn't routine to do over 3 cups at a time.

For occasional use a decent 3 cup is likely adequate and there are a number of brands that will serve just fine. I'm really only familiar with Japan brands, but Tiger, Panasonic, Toshiba, etc... they all make fairly decent products that'll get the job done just fine. Looking around recently... it seems $70-$80 will get you a really decent multi function cooker. If all you ever want is standard white rice... even the single push lever types would work and even cheaper.

RE : Speaking of the price of rice

Yesterday (9-5-23) I was with the GF at :

Hong Phat Food Center
101 SE 82nd Ave
Portland, OR

They had many different brands of 50 pound bags of "new crop" (med grain) and Jasmine rice, priced below my $1 a pound benchmark. They can be found near the cash register.

BTW, while you're there.....
Don't forget to pick up a Banh Mi (if you haven't tried them yet). My recommendation for a first trimer is the, Banh Mi Dac Biet (aka : special combo pork w/other meats sandwich). Or, buy the ingredients to make your own sandwich.

Aloha, Mark

They had many 50 pound bags of "new crop" (med grain) and Jasmine rice, priced below my $1 a pound benchmark. They can be found near the cash register.
You don't have to go all the way up/over there. $.70-$1 a pound (jasmine typically in the lower price range) rice isn't that difficult to find in any bulk food section... and you don't have to buy it in 50lb bags to get down to those price points. The question really becomes... what is a good price per pound for "good" rice. I'm more than happy to pay slightly over a $1/lb... compared to $.90/lb rice... that has far and wide a superior taste and texture.

Granted. Many are accustomed to and perfectly happy with very basic quality rice. Heck... I can't fathom how they do it... but some people even eat that minute rice shtuff out of a cardboard box and think it's just peachy!!

Getting an exceptional "everyday" type rice for $1/lb is most certainly a "good buy" in my book. Having it delivered to your door without the time and fuel costs added on top of your per/lb pricing... all the better.

To each their own, but rice is not... in the least... all created equal. :s0155:

Yeah.....it's the taste that matters.

And....the worst that I've ever had was a 50 pound bag from China. I hope to NEVER repeat that mistake. NO MORE buying Chinese rice (for me).

Around $0.80 per pound (in 50 pound bags) for medium grain (California or Japanese or Korean rice) is what I'd like to see.

I leave the Jasmine rice for the GF's scrutiny.

Aloha, Mark

Yeah.....it's the taste that matters.

And....the worst that I've ever had was a 50 pound bag from China. I hope to NEVER repeat that mistake. NO MORE buying Chinese rice (for me).

Around $0.80 per pound (in 50 pound bags) for medium grain (California or Japanese or Korean rice) is what I'd like to see.

I leave the Jasmine rice for the GF's scrutiny.

Aloha, Mark
It does depend too on your preparedness strategy. If you don't eat it much and looking more just for long term storage and rice you can survive on... lower costs can allow more quantity for your $.

We typically keep around 200lbs on hand at all times, but we consume it regularly and continually cycle our stocks. If it's not rice we're going to routinely enjoy eating then it kind of defeats the purpose and not really worth the $10-$15 or so per 100lb savings. YMMV

Yup. Good points.....about how much you expect to use and the rotation of your stock.

It's only my son and I (in my household). I keep about 100 pounds on hand. And (speaking about food) I have many canned goods, along with the usual assortment of freeze dried.

BUT, But, but....I must admit that I'm NOT a hard core prepper.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews