JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lets change this up for perspective. Should people that occasionally drink alcohol be banned from obtaining a CHL?

The Federal law clearly states "under the influence of illegal drugs" Medical marijuana is a legal drug. I'm betting it will pass as this has serious implications for the rights of other legal drugs vs CHL if they call one legal drug OK and another verboten. Plus take the new administrations call for the feds to leave the medical marijuana stoners alone and we have a almost sure thing from a purely law stand point.

Legal or not it unwise to get high or drunk operating any dangerous equipment requiring a sound mind to operate.

legal or illegal does not equal right or wrong.

Is it arguably wrong to be intoxicated and shoot? Absolutely even if it is technically legal.

Legal or not it unwise to get high or drunk operating any dangerous equipment requiring a sound mind to operate.

legal or illegal does not equal right or wrong.

Is it arguably wrong to be intoxicated and shoot? Absolutely even if it is technically legal.

I agree. I feel we must put the same legal restrictions on marijuana as alcohol and it will work out fine, or no worse than alcohols societal problems anyways.

I know they had some story where medical marijuana patients in Washington county couldn't get a chl and its even a two part question on the application. For me I was torn between following my hippy friends or going class 3 since I know for sure if feds knew you grow and you're trying to get a full auto ump 45 carbine that would raise a red flag.
On another note I Can't believe they have smoking lounges already and most are on the eastside.

I think it's un-wise to carry while high.

Now. If you separate the two activities, there is no problem. I've simply seen people get high, and do a lot of stupid, potentially injuring stuff that they wouldn't be compelled to do while sober.

If you're high enough, I could see someone pulling out a gun and shooting some bottles in their living room. Something like that, just because it's fun.

I am not sure were I fall on this one. I do not think people should be disallowed from protecting themselves simply because they are on pain medication or drink occasionally. I do think that it should be illegal to carry while under the influence of any drug...legal or not.

When someone is a true pain sufferer the effects of marijuana are pretty much negated. You do not get the altered high you get as a recreational user so I am not sure how there ability to carry safely would be affected.

However, one thing I am sure of is that the Oregon medical marijuana thing is widely abused. I have had four employees that had their marijuana card. Only one of them has good reason. The other three are perfectly healthy and just bull$%#@%$# their way into getting the cards. SO I know for a fact that a lot of the people with the cards are not ill. They are simply stoners...and I would never want a stoner carrying a loaded firearm.

However, one thing I am sure of is that the Oregon medical marijuana thing is widely abused. I have had four employees that had their marijuana card. Only one of them has good reason. The other three are perfectly healthy and just bull$%#@%$# their way into getting the cards. SO I know for a fact that a lot of the people with the cards are not ill. They are simply stoners...and I would never want a stoner carrying a loaded firearm.

I pretty much agree with you, but what about "boozers"?

At-risk alcohol use, or problem drinking, is defined as more than seven drinks per week or more than three drinks per occasion for women; and more than 14 drinks per week or more than four drinks per occasion for men. Heavy drinking is often defined as more than three to four drinks per day for women and more than five to six drinks per day for men. http://www.aafp.org/afp/20020201/441.html

Are they in the same category as "stoners?"

I am not sure were I fall on this one. I do not think people should be disallowed from protecting themselves simply because they are on pain medication or drink occasionally. I do think that it should be illegal to carry while under the influence of any drug...legal or not.
How about alcohol?

When someone is a true pain sufferer the effects of marijuana are pretty much negated. You do not get the altered high you get as a recreational user so I am not sure how there ability to carry safely would be affected.
I'm dubious as to whether marijuana does any thing for pain personally

I would agree with this. I know a handful med marijuana card holders and everyone of them just wants a "get stoned hall pass" but I'm OK with that.

As far as stoners carrying a gun I would say like alcohol there is a difference in stoners just like there is a difference in drinkers, some are responsible some are not.

Marijuana laws are pretty stupid and need to be changed and that's coming from someone that doesn't "inhale". See I'm maybe not the Neocon you thought I was! ;)

Like people have said, Going to the bar and getting drunk with a CCW is 1000 times worse than getting high and sitting on your couch. Havent you seen the commercials where the kids just getting high on his couch and time is passing him then its over. Pretty much saying you get lazy. I think going out in public and getting hammered, where you could possibly fight or accidently show your CCW because your dancing around is way worse than pot & guns. Still Pot and guns would not be a very smart idea at all. I think you need to be very focused to shoot straight.

How about alcohol?
I consider alcohol no different than any other mind altering drug.
I'm dubious as to whether marijuana does any thing for pain personally
Not me...the studies I have seen have been pretty thorough and where pretty conclusive. Plus, I have several cancer victims in my family who's lives where made much more bearable by marijuana.
Marijuana laws are pretty stupid and need to be changed and that's coming from someone that doesn't "inhale". See I'm maybe not the Neocon you thought I was!
I would actually think the neo-con opinion on marijuana would be to legalize it. There is a ton of cash to be made and neo-cons are all about the cash and the influence it can purchase. It is one topic on which I would agree with them. :)
As far as stoners carrying a gun I would say like alcohol there is a difference in stoners just like there is a difference in drinkers, some are responsible some are not.
I agree. I do not smoke pot, or even drink alcohol, but I am okay with other people doing as they please with their own bodies. If they can do it in a responsible manner I have no problems with them at all. If they prove otherwise (IE: public intox or other issues) I have no problem with them losing basic rights because of their own failings.

I'm of the opinion that if you need medication, whatever it is, you shouldn't be denied the right to defend yourself. I also say that if 1000 people have the card or whatever medical treatment based on fraud, and 1 person who genuinely needs it the program needs to exist. I've been going through **** lately trying to get proper pain management due to junkys abusing the system, I haven't even really considered pursuing the medical marijuana system, partly because I don't know if it'll work for me, but mostly because I'd be afraid to lose the right to defend myself.

Complicated issues but I see no reason it shouldn't be for MMJ patients exactly the same as the rest of us, screw up once and get your card yanked, and if you screw up bad enough, face criminal charges. I don't want to see being sick wind up on the already staggering list in this country of reasons you're required to be defenseless.

I agree. I do not smoke pot, or even drink alcohol, but I am okay with other people doing as they please with their own bodies. If they can do it in a responsible manner I have no problems with them at all. If they prove otherwise (IE: public intox or other issues) I have no problem with them losing basic rights because of their own failings.

:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads