JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I picked up 2 100rd boxes of cci 22 shorts, one 100 rd box of Remington subsonic, total of about 21.00.. don't really need them but what the heck, this is why I have plenty of ammo.

I don't disagree with your assessment, I'm just thinking we may end up looking back longingly at .40/rd for possibly quite a while (though I don't like even saying that out loud :()

Too many factors weighing in the direction of @nammac 's assessment. The gorilla in the room being the economy & depression zone numbers. The cause of such matters not (communist China IMO), only the outcome matters.

Similarly I agree there's a POSSIBILTY of open armed conflict within the US. Which, would be beyond the pale of what anyone sane could fathom. I scale said possibility to rather unlikely, as in a remote possibilty. However not zero probability. So possible. IMO.

MORE likely would be armed conflict along the lines of "the troubles" in Northern Ireland. In such conflict collateral innocent civilian loss is markedly lower (vs open armed conflict), however such is still tragic. Also & noteable, such collateral innocent civilian loss has been & likely would be used as a conflict "tool". BY ALL SIDES. Either direct & intentionally, or to direct an agenda (false flag).

Expected, again IMO, is general civil unrest. Far far worse than we are currently seeing. Worsening as the severity of economic situation becomes "known". As currently, "folks" simply don't realize we are amidst the start of a depression. A bad one.

So, in short, this ammunition blight "MIGHT" subside following this election. Dependent, obviously, upon the outcome of said election. ...and wether or not civil unrest continues openly.

I honestly don't expect the blight to end as abruptly tho.

Again, too many factors in play.

MORE likely would be armed conflict along the lines of "the troubles" in Northern Ireland.
I think that assessment is pretty close. Groups of hungry, angry skinnies forming roadblock "checkpoints" where they take your stuff and beat you/ kill you if you're the wrong ethnicity/uniform, but they clear out before the slow moving federal and state forces can arrive. Vigilante groups mobilizing to combat the skinnies. So, maybe more like Bosnia lite? Probably be worst in the exact areas Nammac mentioned, for Oregon, and generally in the big urban areas with little capability of food production, especially as the violence chases off businesses that were supplying needed goods. There may still be a chance to avoid a lot of it, if the feds are able to capture some of the instigators, but from my limited perspective it doesn't seems like there is much of a will to stop them. Strange political games...

More on the topic, I did successfully find some primers at Sportsman's and Bimart today.

I don't disagree with your assessment, I'm just thinking we may end up looking back longingly at .40/rd for possibly quite a while (though I don't like even saying that out loud :()

That's why I paid $1/rd for that .308 ammo and 70¢/rd before that. Not going to pay that for FMJ/ball though, not when I can buy expanding ammo for that. For me, ball ammo is for practice, and if I don't have enough for practice and it costs as much as quality expanding ammo, then I will just buy the expanding ammo instead.

So I am kind of hedging my options here, but with the less expensive ammo I bought previously, plus the ammo I sold for a profit, it averages out.

I don't have enough for an all out series of firefights, but I don't think that I will be involved to that degree. At least I hope not. Again, kind of hedging my bets. If my budget allowed, I would have 100K/rds of each type (not just caliber) and belt-feds/etc., but I am on a fixed income now (next year it will be one quarter of what it was last year), so I need to compromise.

You make a good point, about when a price point makes it a good idea to buy defensive ammo. I use reloads for practice and matches, but for legal reasons, I keep commercial defensive rounds for carry use. Maybe when I go to buy primers and there aren't any, I'll pick up a box of carry rounds instead. Could stand to be a bit deeper on those.

We're there. No where is it readily available for 40 cents, ammo seek is trending higher by the day.

I bought some PD tradein ammo - HST .40 for about 40¢/rd and the same place prices FMJ tradein for about 20¢/rd - except right now he is out of stock. I am just disinclined to spend double what I used to spend. I have enough to wait until the price comes back down - even if it takes a few years.

I just received 1000 happy pills for a long gun at a reasonable price. Dern happy to have found them. Per round price was only .02 cents over what I had paid for them before. This is a round I do not reload so it was nice to add to the collection. OK on primers, bullets and powders already. Even if I continue my normal range schedule I'm good into next year. ;)

^^ Almost double what it was pre-pandemic, and they are not the only ones with prices this high (approx. self-defense ammo prices).

OTOH, others are more reasonable:

But still over 10% higher than previous average price (33¢/rd).

I always shop for the best price (with shipping) as the prices can be significantly different - the above is a great example; almost $200 difference - I can buy more ammo that way. If I can't find a decent price, I just wait it out. Generally I have enough where I can do that. The only thing I am keeping an eye out for now is 7.62x39 self-defense ammo, 7.62x51 FMJ practice ammo (I sold almost all of mine to buy self-defense ammo) and .40 FMJ ammo for practice (but I can use 9mm or .22LR for practice instead as I have the same guns or conversion barrels in 9mm and .22LR).

Prices for 5.7x28 have doubled, so I am very glad I stocked up on it - I have over 7K rounds.

I am more than comfortable with the rimfire ammo amounts I have - over 35K rounds, but I want to get some more of the match quality ammo (especially the Federal Hunter Match which is good ammo) and some of the speciality ammo (shotshells, etc.).

I want to get more centerfire shotshell ammo too.

Sometime before winter weather hits, I will get another woodworking bench like this from HF:

63395_W3.jpg
and set it up in my home office (shop is insulated, but not heated - easier and more comfortable to do reloading in the house instead). They go on sale from time to time for $20 off. I have one - unassembled - in my shop. They seem like they would make a good handloading bench. Then I will get a Forster Coax press and start reloading again - speciality ammo mostly.

^^ Almost double what it was pre-pandemic, and they are not the only ones with prices this high (approx. self-defense ammo prices).

I always shop for the best price (with shipping) as the prices can be significantly different - the above is a great example; almost $200 difference - I can buy more ammo that way. If I can't find a decent price, I just wait it out. Generally I have enough where I can do that. The only thing I am keeping an eye out for now is 7.62x39 self-defense ammo, 7.62x51 FMJ practice ammo (I sold almost all of mine to buy self-defense ammo) and .40 FMJ ammo for practice (but I can use 9mm or .22LR for practice instead as I have the same guns or conversion barrels in 9mm and .22LR).

Prices for 5.7x28 have doubled, so I am very glad I stocked up on it - I have over 7K rounds.

I am more than comfortable with the rimfire ammo amounts I have - over 35K rounds, but I want to get some more of the match quality ammo (especially the Federal Hunter Match which is good ammo) and some of the speciality ammo (shotshells, etc.).

Sometime before winter weather hits, I will get another woodworking bench like this from HF:

View attachment 733850
and set it up in my home office (shop is insulated, but not heated - easier and more comfortable to do reloading in the house instead). They go on sale from time to time for $20 off. I have one - unassembled - in my shop. They seem like they would make a good handloading bench. Then I will get a Forster Coax press and start reloading again - speciality ammo mostly.
That's the same bench I bought several years ago for use as a reloading bench, has served me well. Only change I made was to the drawer handles, went with metal ones, provides a better grip...

View attachment 733850

Good benches. On my second one. Sold the first one back east before the last big East->West move. Sold it for what I paid.

Bought another out here once settled in the previous place up Salem.

Will likely get another so I don't have to share...:D

I have one, too. Needed a bench for gunsmithing and cleaning, so the reloading bench could be just reloading. Very solid workbenches for the money, and hey, built in wood vice!

Just got 500 rounds of wolf 223hp managed to get it at under 25¢/round w/shipping. Have a feeling that won't be happening again soon.

Are any of you actually ordering back stock ammo? I've heard too many stories of people having their orders canceled or charged at the price of ammo when it comes in stock so haven't tried it yet.

It's not much but it's more than none.

20200811_105222.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class