JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just looked at the site again. 24 members total. 0 online right now and most forums have zero content. Not trying to be negative, just stating the facts. I think most of us here like NWFA and even many, myself included, choose to be a supporting member. I didn't look too closely, but if the other site has a supporting member system, I think you would be hard pressed to justify it on another site along side NWFA. Again, I didn't look past the home page so maybe I'm speaking out of school. Regardless, I still think the forums on that site would fit nicely here.

Hi, Joe,
instead of creating a new separate website...fold it into NWFF. That way viewers don't have to move Out and back in another web-site and back again....maybe fold means link!
No pun intended....maybe! Barney

Been looking at other firearm and out door sites. The other firearm sites are like a bunch of 18 year old drop outs trying to build a dragster.
Good questions and some good answers if you wade through all the posts from those who can not focus on the question, or posting a remark that shows plainly they have no knowledge on the subject. Sad stuff.
By the way I don't hunt White Tail deer, or Montana Elk or Wyoming Elk, or Buffalo. I hunt Black tail deer, Oregon Elk and Oregon Mule deer. Washington versions are ok also. Don't know about Idaho, but I guess there ok.

Last Edited:
Hi, Joe,
instead of creating a new separate website...fold it into NWFF. That way viewers don't have to move Out and back in another web-site and back again....maybe fold means link!
...or go the other way around.
There are some sections here that would apply over there.
Just move the sections that apply over there and trim this site down to just firearms.
If I don't miss my guess, that may be the point of opening the other site.

Dean

Been looking at other firearm and out door sites. The other firearm sites are like a bunch of 18 year old drop outs building a dragster.
YES!!! It's annoying as heck sometimes! All people wanna talk about is para military this or that, or how to ruin a very elegant little bird gun by gluing a bunch of rails to it and hanging a bunch of crap they don't need off it.
Really?

Dean

I think a second website just about the outdoors would be good generating some revenue for you as it would open the door for sponsors that may not like posting ads on a totally dedicated gun site. And as mentioned should be out door oriented .

I think the hunting section here could be expanded here maybe by hunting gear, campfire stories, and guns ammo and optics or perhaps types of hunting big game, birds , varmint and a ODFW /Land use and Politics section and a expanded hunting forum would be more at home here than a outdoors page and would bring in more fudds like DeanMK and Sabertooth ;) (I am fudd too )

The northwest already has a pretty good fishing site Ifish, so you would be competing with them . they have a token Hunting forum there since hunting and fishing tend to go hand and hand but its small a single forum like we have now. But keep in mind like fisherman , Most hunters will share very little information they do like to brag and talk about gear but share very little about where to go and tend to actually be misleading in the sense of where the hunting is good.

All gun owners need each other be it hunter or tactical sport shooter or match shooter or what ever shooting the gun owner is into , as the cougar and wolf populations grows and land gets closes off and pouching and bad management continues hunting in Oregon will eventually be a thing of the past except for the rich who can afford to hunt private ranches and when there is nothing left to hunt many hunters will hand over their gun rights because they don't care any more and we need their numbers as they need the numbers of sport and target shooters to help fight for and preserve Hunting . We are in it together if we want to maintain our hunting and shooting rights.

If you want to start another board for outdoors its a good idea oregon and washington is all about outdoors and a Granola trail mix site with a section for hunting and shooting may be a good way to introduce some of those hippies to the sport of hunting but I don't think you should take a way from this one as hunting is a major shooting sport and we need to work as a group to preserve it.

My 2 cents and you can spend it any way you want

Site is going to have to have enough going for it that people buy into it. Hunting and fishing is a social thing too so the place will have to be friendly enough that people want to spend money. Best example I can give you of a money making site that is just social is Free Republic. Guy runs a money drive every quarter and always hits his goal.

People will pay to be there so ask yourself what your new site will have that can make you money. Then ask yourself who is going to pay that money and how do you get them there. What's going to draw your crowd and keep them paying?

Free Republic has been around for many years and all they have is current news and opinions. What is the psychology that keeps people there, it's a social thing just like the billion dollar dating sites. Mmmmm maybe you could mix hunting and dating to bring in both sexes doing some outdoor stuff:D

Last Edited:
Maybe we could have a link at the top of the page of this site, suggesting one checks out NWSportsman.com, and visa versa at that site.
...cuz, ya know....advertising works. =)

Thanks for the replies guys :)

How about a section for non hunters/fishermen.
It would be dedicated to hiking, camping, climbing, white water activities, etc.
I like the site, but if you're going to cater to "Sportsmen", it might be wise to recognize a wider audience than just hunters and fishermen.
JMHO.

Dean

Though we are focusing on mostly hunting and fishing, I agree that we need a section for other sorts of activities. I don't want to get too specific though, as there are other forums that cater to those sorts of things specifically.

upload_2015-1-13_9-45-3.png

Recipe section for fish, game, fowl would be interesting....

This will probably turn out to be my favorite section :D

I'm envisioning a prefix system, to sort by type.

upload_2015-1-13_9-46-58.png

I just looked at the site again. 24 members total. 0 online right now and most forums have zero content. Not trying to be negative, just stating the facts. I think most of us here like NWFA and even many, myself included, choose to be a supporting member. I didn't look too closely, but if the other site has a supporting member system, I think you would be hard pressed to justify it on another site along side NWFA. Again, I didn't look past the home page so maybe I'm speaking out of school. Regardless, I still think the forums on that site would fit nicely here.

It's definitely slow over there, mostly because it's still under development. I haven't done a single thing to get the word out, other than what I've done here. My hope is that I can come up with some creative ways to motivate people to spread the word. While I see your point about the donations, I'm not worried about them. This is primarily about building a site specific to hunting and fishing, while this site will be more about actual firearms, firearm rights, etc. I could merge those categories into this site, but the two sites are really too unique to do it right.

Hi, Joe,

The sites will definitely have easy to access links to each other, so people can switch between them with ease. Right now the links are at the bottom of the pages, both here and there. Once the site is more developed, I'll find a way to incorporate them near the top of the page.

They also share the same 'style', so people will be familiar with the controls. People will need to register a separate account, though.

Been looking at other firearm and out door sites. The other firearm sites are like a bunch of 18 year old drop outs trying to build a dragster.
Good questions and some good answers if you wade through all the posts from those who can not focus on the question, or posting a remark that shows plainly they have no knowledge on the subject. Sad stuff.
By the way I don't hunt White Tail deer, or Montana Elk or Wyoming Elk, or Buffalo. I hunt Black tail deer, Oregon Elk and Oregon Mule deer. Washington versions are ok also. Don't know about Idaho, but I guess there ok.

We seem to have a popular recipe here, one which I want to expand into other categories :)

...or go the other way around.
There are some sections here that would apply over there.
Just move the sections that apply over there and trim this site down to just firearms.
If I don't miss my guess, that may be the point of opening the other site.

Dean

I probably won't eliminate them all together, as there are those who won't want to create another account and use another site, but NWSM will be heavily promoted in those sections.

I think a second website just about the outdoors would be good generating some revenue for you as it would open the door for sponsors that may not like posting ads on a totally dedicated gun site. And as mentioned should be out door oriented .

I think the hunting section here could be expanded here maybe by hunting gear, campfire stories, and guns ammo and optics or perhaps types of hunting big game, birds , varmint and a ODFW /Land use and Politics section and a expanded hunting forum would be more at home here than a outdoors page and would bring in more fudds like DeanMK and Sabertooth ;) (I am fudd too )

The northwest already has a pretty good fishing site Ifish, so you would be competing with them . they have a token Hunting forum there since hunting and fishing tend to go hand and hand but its small a single forum like we have now. But keep in mind like fisherman , Most hunters will share very little information they do like to brag and talk about gear but share very little about where to go and tend to actually be misleading in the sense of where the hunting is good.

All gun owners need each other be it hunter or tactical sport shooter or match shooter or what ever shooting the gun owner is into , as the cougar and wolf populations grows and land gets closes off and pouching and bad management continues hunting in Oregon will eventually be a thing of the past except for the rich who can afford to hunt private ranches and when there is nothing left to hunt many hunters will hand over their gun rights because they don't care any more and we need their numbers as they need the numbers of sport and target shooters to help fight for and preserve Hunting . We are in it together if we want to maintain our hunting and shooting rights.

If you want to start another board for outdoors its a good idea oregon and washington is all about outdoors and a Granola trail mix site with a section for hunting and shooting may be a good way to introduce some of those hippies to the sport of hunting but I don't think you should take a way from this one as hunting is a major shooting sport and we need to work as a group to preserve it.

My 2 cents and you can spend it any way you want

That's very true from an advertising standpoint. I used to think the shooting, fishing, and hunting markets were fairly integrated with one another, but boy was I wrong! Though they share the same demographic, there is definitely a line between 'sportsmen' and 'gun guys'. We've never had a guide service advertised here.

I mentioned above that, in order to 'do it right', the sites will have to be separate brands and separate sites. I've heard complaints about iFish for years, and the lack of a suitable alternative, so I'm really looking forward to the competition. As you probably know, I'm not a fan of the gestapo-style moderation they seem to favor or the good-ol-boy network you're expected to fall in line behind. I don't expect anyone to give up their honey holes, but like you said, they sure love to brag :D

I absolutely agree that we're all in this together, and the way I envision it, these sites are going to be very complimentary to each other. Though it will happen to a small degree, as some people will prefer one over the other, it is my intention to integrate these, rather than encourage division. I'm positive I can achieve this.

I really don't have anything in common with hippies, and I think I'd rather bang my head against the wall than try to talk one into picking up a rifle :confused:

Site is going to have to have enough going for it that people buy into it. Hunting and fishing is a social thing too so the place will have to be friendly enough that people want to spend money. Best example I can give you of a money making site that is just social is Free Republic. Guy runs a money drive every quarter and always hits his goal.

People will pay to be there so ask yourself what your new site will have that can make you money. Then ask yourself who is going to pay that money and how do you get them there. What's going to draw your crowd and keep them paying?

Free Republic has been around for many years and all they have is current news and opinions. What is the psychology that keeps people there, it's a social thing just like the billion dollar dating sites. Mmmmm maybe you could mix hunting and dating to bring in both sexes doing some outdoor stuff:D

Thanks Jim, you probably remember when this site was just getting started!

I'm not too concerned with making money, here or there. If I was in this for the money I would have sold this long ago, then used that cash to buy up other sites and do the same. I'll be happy when I can take a reasonable salary for the time I put in, but I've never had much of a desire to be a millionaire :)

Of course, like I said above, it will attract different advertisers than the ones we have here, which is a good thing for both sites. My main goal is to get people using Northwest Sportsman.

Outdoor dating, you might be onto something! :p

Maybe we could have a link at the top of the page of this site, suggesting one checks out NWSportsman.com, and visa versa at that site.
...cuz, ya know....advertising works. =)

Absolutely! Once the site gets going a bit I'm going to do just that.

For now, the links are on the bottom of each of the sites.

Posts like the above are what sets guys like Joe apart from most other webmasters, heck businessmen in general!
Way to go Joe! All the best luck with the new site.

Dean

Too many open tabs and log-in's for me. I prefer NWFA only. One site does it all for me. I visit the hunting, fishing sections, as well as, many other subjects and I like having it all in 1 site.

I really don't want to go to another site to read and talk about hunting and fishing. Sure, I signed up on the NWSportsman site but rarely ever check in on it because it's much more convenient to stay here.

Perhaps I just don't see the benefits of a separate site (yet). So, I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if I can pick up on some good reasons.

Bill
Pretty much sums it up for me.I have visited and joined a couple hunting sights and didn't seem to return enough as I believe both are gone.I know 1 is.
But hope it goes well for you.You can always delete sections that become redundant or unused.At least if you have them you will be able to tell where the focus wants to be

Over the past few months we've been quietly developing The Northwest Sportsman Community, which many of you have been eager to see get going. My intent is to build a place better suited to the hunters and fishermen here, and offer those folks another choice in which Northwest outdoor forum they prefer to call home. I don't see this as being an either or relationship with the Northwest Firearms Community, but rather a close 'sister community', depending on what the user is looking for. Spinning off the hunting and fishing will allow Northwest Firearms to focus on the firearm rights and self defense portion of gun ownership, while Northwest Sportsman will be infinitely more detailed and specific when it comes to outdoor recreation. By standardizing the layout, software, and operation of the the two sites, users will already feel at home (or at least as comfortable as they do here :D).

I'd like to get some feedback from those of you here who might have some ideas as to what they would like to see that community become. What are your thoughts?
Hi Joe, you may have previusly convered this Idea:
It would be nice to have direct links to the various State Dept. of Fish and Wildlife. This would aid us dumb tax payers to communicate our thoughts and Ideas. But would our comments be considered or even read?

I like the Idea, if it doesn't get too broad geographically speaking.
I'm mixed on leaving the politicks out of it.
On the one hand, sportsman activities are in constant jeopardy of losing access, and liberty, we must stay vigilant.
On the other, some times you just gotta shut it all off and putter around in the shop for some down time.
For me NWFA is down time, and politicks. With a click, I can avoid the politick parts when I need to.
Choice.
That method seems like a fair mix.

I checked out NorthwestSportsman.com this morning and liked what I saw. So much so that I joined up.
The forum was easy to view and use.
Sorry I can't say much more as there weren't many postings.
That being said , if it is anything like the site here , I'm sure it will take off , when word gets out.
Thanks Joe for all of you hard work.
Andy

Yes, AND WE COULD HAVE A "FASHION" section too! . . . You know, what the well dressed man and woman wear on the grouse field or when they go fox hunting!!!! AAaaarqrrrrrggggghhhh!?!?!?

Yes, AND WE COULD HAVE A "FASHION" section too! . . . You know, what the well dressed man and woman wear on the grouse field or when they go fox hunting!!!! AAaaarqrrrrrggggghhhh!?!?!?

Wearing different camouflage patterns is a serious problem in Forks. There is always some poor kid that can only get a 6 color chocolate chip desert coat and a pair of old Dutch DPM pants who is taunted mercilessly by their classmates. Alas I am even guilty of pointing and laughing at those circumstances. I'm not proud of it and with some government sponsored reeducation, I would probably be more tolerant of such faux pas.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top