JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Over the past few months we've been quietly developing The Northwest Sportsman Community, which many of you have been eager to see get going. My intent is to build a place better suited to the hunters and fishermen here, and offer those folks another choice in which Northwest outdoor forum they prefer to call home. I don't see this as being an either or relationship with the Northwest Firearms Community, but rather a close 'sister community', depending on what the user is looking for. Spinning off the hunting and fishing will allow Northwest Firearms to focus on the firearm rights and self defense portion of gun ownership, while Northwest Sportsman will be infinitely more detailed and specific when it comes to outdoor recreation. By standardizing the layout, software, and operation of the the two sites, users will already feel at home (or at least as comfortable as they do here :D).

I'd like to get some feedback from those of you here who might have some ideas as to what they would like to see that community become. What are your thoughts?

I welcome the idea of a forum that has more of a focus on sportsmen/women. Honestly I am quite tired of all the political talk, so if you could get rid of that on the new forum I'd be all for it.

You should have separate tabs for different types of hunting and fishing. Elk, Deer, Predators, Waterfowl, Upland Birds, Turkey, Warm water fishing, Salmon/Steelhead, Sturgeon, Salt Water, etc...

I welcome the idea of a forum that has more of a focus on sportsmen/women. Honestly I am quite tired of all the political talk, so if you could get rid of that on the new forum I'd be all for it.

You should have separate tabs for different types of hunting and fishing. Elk, Deer, Predators, Waterfowl, Upland Birds, Turkey, Warm water fishing, Salmon/Steelhead, Sturgeon, Salt Water, etc...

I appreciate the feedback :)

Kinda seems like an extension or maybe another section that belongs here. Hunting and fishing stories are plentiful, if not redundant. I think MANY hunters and fisherman aren't going to openly give up their favorite fishing hole or big game field to the "public". Not many people look to sell their favorite rod/reel combo or their tree stand. Boats sell on craigslist. Guns do not. And NWFA is a major player for the BST of firearms in the Northwest. If you use Google for recipes for game meat you will get thousands of results, even from grill manufacturers. I hope it works out for you Joe, but I don't see the need for another site.

Joe you know I've been excited for this site for a while, due to the fact there is nothing that truly focuses on hunting as much as fishing in the NW area, and in fact the Rockies to the west.
As for the layout. We need more color. Less white background. We need to enhance the picture attachment ease for some. We need to be able to transfer usernames and avatars from NWFA members.
We need to do a great job of teaming up with big name guides, PH, outfitters, and pro hunting groups.
I would also like to see a deal made with you and east mans journal.
They do a great job of laying out the public land hunts that are awesome units.
And finally, keep your rules the same over there. And NO Ifish mods are welcome on the site. Period!

I agree with most of the aforementioned and would like to the see 'slant' of the forum to be based on 'traditional' hunting and fishing methods and 'attitude' . I would NOT want to see tabs such as 'Hunting with Black Rifles' or "Modern tactical gear in the field'

And finally, keep your rules the same over there. And NO Ifish mods are welcome on the site. Period!

Oh yeah!

A question. Why so many sub forums? You have "Fishing Gear", "Rods & Reels AND "Bait and Tackle" it's all fishing gear. Just look at the hunting! You forgot rat hunting, I mean, I hunt rats with my BB gun out the front door under my bird feeders. LOL I'm not a hunter but I love perusing THE "Hunting" forum on ifish during fall winter, and those spring bear hunters, crazy! The fishing classifieds? You have five forums that could all cover many items under "Fishing Gear".

This is just this mans opinion so take it for what it's worth. We all have an ability to scroll down a forum and stop at things we're interested in, so it doesn't make sense to me to have so many sub forums. It sure would be nice to have an outdoors forum to rival ifish, with out the puritanical rule though.

Mike

As oregonhunter5 stated about ifish, I agree. The mods there are treehuggin, mouth breathing, anti "we the people" and just plain way out there leftist who are vultures, pouncing on anything that they don't like....
Just my 2cents about sporting forums....

Too many open tabs and log-in's for me. I prefer NWFA only. One site does it all for me. I visit the hunting, fishing sections, as well as, many other subjects and I like having it all in 1 site.

I really don't want to go to another site to read and talk about hunting and fishing. Sure, I signed up on the NWSportsman site but rarely ever check in on it because it's much more convenient to stay here.

Perhaps I just don't see the benefits of a separate site (yet). So, I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if I can pick up on some good reasons.

Bill

I like the layout of this site, and the community so I hope to see the new site will be similar, but also be open to other hunters and fisherman that have not previously been a member of nwfirearms.

Could it be that if you are logged on to NWFA and want to go to NW Sportsman, click on a link (within NWFA) that takes you to NW Sportsman and automatically logs you in (assuming you have the same user name as NWFA)? New tab or not would be fine. When you leave NW Sportsman, log off and a link takes you back to NWFA where you are still logged in?

I don't know much about how all that works but just thinking it would be nice to make it a seamless transition between sites and subjects.

Bill

Thanks for all the great ideas, suggestions, opinions, and feedback!

Kinda seems like an extension or maybe another section that belongs here. Hunting and fishing stories are plentiful, if not redundant. I think MANY hunters and fisherman aren't going to openly give up their favorite fishing hole or big game field to the "public". Not many people look to sell their favorite rod/reel combo or their tree stand. Boats sell on craigslist. Guns do not. And NWFA is a major player for the BST of firearms in the Northwest. If you use Google for recipes for game meat you will get thousands of results, even from grill manufacturers. I hope it works out for you Joe, but I don't see the need for another site.

I thought about this myself. Based on my research, I'm positive there's enough interest.

Second that, there is a place for it.

Check out this purist hunter, I read one of his works and it was quite informative.

Wayne Van Zwool. This guy and his mentality gets me into the hunt!

Will do!

Joe you know I've been excited for this site for a while, due to the fact there is nothing that truly focuses on hunting as much as fishing in the NW area, and in fact the Rockies to the west.
As for the layout. We need more color. Less white background. We need to enhance the picture attachment ease for some. We need to be able to transfer usernames and avatars from NWFA members.
We need to do a great job of teaming up with big name guides, PH, outfitters, and pro hunting groups.
I would also like to see a deal made with you and east mans journal.
They do a great job of laying out the public land hunts that are awesome units.

Thanks for the ideas. I agree, the theme needs work, and it will be improved. Don't worry, we don't want any affiliation with iFish or their staff ;)

I agree with most of the aforementioned and would like to the see 'slant' of the forum to be based on 'traditional' hunting and fishing methods and 'attitude' . I would NOT want to see tabs such as 'Hunting with Black Rifles' or "Modern tactical gear in the field'

Thank you. I lean toward the traditional myself.

Oh yeah!

A question. Why so many sub forums? You have "Fishing Gear", "Rods & Reels AND "Bait and Tackle" it's all fishing gear. Just look at the hunting! You forgot rat hunting, I mean, I hunt rats with my BB gun out the front door under my bird feeders. LOL I'm not a hunter but I love perusing THE "Hunting" forum on ifish during fall winter, and those spring bear hunters, crazy! The fishing classifieds? You have five forums that could all cover many items under "Fishing Gear".

This is just this mans opinion so take it for what it's worth. We all have an ability to scroll down a forum and stop at things we're interested in, so it doesn't make sense to me to have so many sub forums. It sure would be nice to have an outdoors forum to rival ifish, with out the puritanical rule though.

Mike

The categories are the result of my first idea round. I certainly favor less versus more. As the site grows we'll adjust them accordingly. One thing I've learned when it comes to classifieds, everyone wants them to be as specific as possible.

As oregonhunter5 stated about ifish, I agree. The mods there are treehuggin, mouth breathing, anti "we the people" and just plain way out there leftist who are vultures, pouncing on anything that they don't like....
Just my 2cents about sporting forums....

See above :)

Too many open tabs and log-in's for me. I prefer NWFA only. One site does it all for me. I visit the hunting, fishing sections, as well as, many other subjects and I like having it all in 1 site.

I really don't want to go to another site to read and talk about hunting and fishing. Sure, I signed up on the NWSportsman site but rarely ever check in on it because it's much more convenient to stay here.

Perhaps I just don't see the benefits of a separate site (yet). So, I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if I can pick up on some good reasons.

Bill

The reason we're doing this is because people who use forums primarily for hunting and fishing demand more categories, much like we have here for firearm owners.

I think a separate site is a great idea. I would like to see a good classifieds section, fishing and hunting reports from users and anything more than that is a bonus.

I like the layout of this site, and the community so I hope to see the new site will be similar, but also be open to other hunters and fisherman that have not previously been a member of nwfirearms.

My goal is to completely standardize the format and operation of the sites. If you're familiar with one, you'll be familiar with the other from day one.

Could it be that if you are logged on to NWFA and want to go to NW Sportsman, click on a link (within NWFA) that takes you to NW Sportsman and automatically logs you in (assuming you have the same user name as NWFA)? New tab or not would be fine. When you leave NW Sportsman, log off and a link takes you back to NWFA where you are still logged in?

I don't know much about how all that works but just thinking it would be nice to make it a seamless transition between sites and subjects.

Bill

Great question, Bill. This sort of integration is possible, but it's risky, and generally not advised. By integrating the databases (where the user info is stored), one site's problems can directly effect the other. We will have direct links on both sites though, so you can quickly navigate between them and remain logged in, though initially you will have to register on each site. Another consideration (though rare) is that people who register on one site might not necessarily want to be associated with the other.

I like it! My two main hobbies are boats and guns, fits perfectly for me! As you know, be the anti-ifish. But you know that :)

I'll start posting some stuff over there if I come up with anything.

I like it! My two main hobbies are boats and guns, fits perfectly for me! As you know, be the anti-ifish. But you know that :)

I'll start posting some stuff over there if I come up with anything.

Great! We can use all the help we can get :)

What about a vehicle section? Somewhere you can discuss your hunting/fishing rig and modifications to it. Could also cover travel trailers and campers and/fishing boats.

Great idea! I'll make a note.

Over the past few months we've been quietly developing The Northwest Sportsman Community, which many of you have been eager to see get going. My intent is to build a place better suited to the hunters and fishermen here, and offer those folks another choice in which Northwest outdoor forum they prefer to call home. I don't see this as being an either or relationship with the Northwest Firearms Community, but rather a close 'sister community', depending on what the user is looking for. Spinning off the hunting and fishing will allow Northwest Firearms to focus on the firearm rights and self defense portion of gun ownership, while Northwest Sportsman will be infinitely more detailed and specific when it comes to outdoor recreation. By standardizing the layout, software, and operation of the the two sites, users will already feel at home (or at least as comfortable as they do here :D).

I'd like to get some feedback from those of you here who might have some ideas as to what they would like to see that community become. What are your thoughts?
How about a section for non hunters/fishermen.
It would be dedicated to hiking, camping, climbing, white water activities, etc.
I like the site, but if you're going to cater to "Sportsmen", it might be wise to recognize a wider audience than just hunters and fishermen.
JMHO.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews