JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hear this advice all the time and after seeing three women make the mistake of going with a revolver I have to say it's not a good choice unless the individual person has handled and shot, with proficiency and speed, vs. a small frame semi-auto. The reason is because of trigger pull in relation to a woman's grip size and strength. I don't mean to sound like I'm putting you down, some people could go this route. I am just relating my personal experience.

Yah, I getcha. The problem for my wife is that she got arthritis... no technique helps her rack the slide because she cannot use her left hand that way. Her right hand still has plenty of strength from milking cows as a youngster.

I think people forget that there are spring kits available to reduce trigger pull on revolvers... but on new revolvers with the hammer block (is that the right term?) the pull can be reduced enough to get misfires from light strikes.

Still best advice to see what she likes... I wouldn't rule anything out... a handgun that is carried and used is better than one left behind.

Has your daughter ever fired a handgun, 22 or otherwise?
Over 30 years of hosting, I've taken a LOT of young women (foreign exchange students, and some locals) shooting for the first time and find that if I don't start them out with a 22, 85% will put the gun down after the 3rd shot and want to go home early. Most can be convinced to try again but only with the 22.
I've settled on a Browning 1911-22 for first-timers.
-the size is right for their hands
-recoil/muzzle rise is negligible (although I'm constantly surprised at how many even say "wow" at a 22lr recoil)
-the grip safety gets them gripping it firmly
-manual safety
-full beavertail to prevent slide/hammer bite
-racking is super easy
-accuracy is plenty good enough to build their confidence
-looks like a "real" gun.

It's slim and light enough for her to holster or purse carry (I don't recommend purse carry, but I suppose it has it's place)

I guess all I'm trying to say is, don't let others get you all wrapped up in the caliber/manhood thing, or being in a rush. She'll be ready for a centerfire soon enough and have a lot of the knowledge to make her own choice.

Mrs. Teflon had the excellent opportunity to test fire several concealable semi-auto pistols in one afternoon a couple years ago before she chose the one she wanted (she did not want a revolver). I was profoundly curious about what she might like, and why, so I resisted some strong urges to influence her.

She did not like either of the snappy little .380s, preferring instead the M&P Shield 9 for feel, accuracy, recovery and reset. I was relieved when she went with the larger, more common 9mm round, and a grip that (although small to me) accommodates the whole hand. It conceals as well as anything commonly out there.

Ditto to much above. I would NOT buy in Seattle for one.
Next Ditto range with rentals. Some offer a flat fee to use anything, worth it. Better than buying then deciding she does not like.
Purse carry is poor but, even that beats no gun. If she can get 2 guns, something larger and heavier for home is ideal. Easier to shoot in better caliber. For carry, everything is a trade off. Small powerful and light tends to equal more recoil. Some are fine with it, others, like my Wife, are not.
Place with classes is great. Any range will have info here. Lastly a nice .22 makes a dandy cheap trainer. Even if she does not want one, you buy one and let her use it with you. Fun, cheap, and a great tool for learning.
Lastly those pieces of paper are worth something to start a fire with and nothing more. News is full of stories of abused women who had one. Most women beaters are cowards. Some become homicidal and suicidal though. Especially one who is a multiple time loser. Most guys like that walk through life telling themselves it was everyone else who was at fault. Often then they decide they want to end it all they also want to take others with them. If she can move, move now too. Be careful with social media so she does not tell him where she moved. Above all situational awareness. Often scum like this will lay in wait to ambush. Good luck to her.

...if she wants to go really lite we might even go down to a .22lr... it's better than nothing.
FYI if u r interested I just did a bunch of research on muzzle energy of the NAA mini revolvers from 22 short to 22 lr to 22 mag in the various barrel lengths (not the really long barrels). I don't want to derail this thread so I'll start a new thread on it if there is interest. Thx

If its her first gun then maybe a j-frame revolver would be easier/simpler than a semi auto

Huge misconception, one of the biggest in the firearm world IMO. Revolvers, in general, and small ones, such as J-frame, specifically are much more difficult to shoot competently than a semi-auto pistol due to their long, heavy trigger pull, diminutive size, crappy sights and very uncomfortable recoil. Mechanically and operationally they are more complex than auto-loaders, there simply are NOT a beginner's gun, they are a pro's gun, requiring serious commitment and time to master.

OP, look to a single stack 9mm (do not screw with .380). There are a plethora of options out there, S&W Shield, Glock 43 and Walther PPS M2 would be three I'd start with.

Bottom line, owning a guitar doesn't one a musician any more than owning a gun makes one safe, seek training and practice. Finally, take threats seriously and paper don't mean ****.

So I've been thinking about another revolver for her, if she wants to go really lite we might even go down to a .22lr... it's better than nothing.

My Other half has been a constant search for this. When we first got together I bought her a .22 to learn on (MKII 22/45) and a 5 shot .38 for home and carry and got her, her CPL. Soon the .38 was too heavy. She tried a lot, including .22's. Only problem was the small .22's were hard to make work 100%. It was possible. She ended up with a Kel-Tec .32 which she loved for years. Finally started to complain about the trigger on that (sigh). Lastly ended up with a Ruger SR22 that has kept her fancy for a couple years now. Easy to rack, easy to shoot, 100% reliable, FAR from ideal caliber but, again the gun she will have with her and all.

If she won't let you buy her a gun, perhaps she'll agree to you paying for a class - with live fire
and / or practice (time on range & ammo )

Some ranges have multiple guns she can try / rent. I know of one in Bellevue.

Huge misconception, one of the biggest in the firearm world IMO. Revolvers, in general, and small ones, such as J-frame, specifically are much more difficult to shoot competently than a semi-auto pistol due to their long, heavy trigger pull, diminutive size, crappy sights and very uncomfortable recoil.

This. Small revolvers are hard to shoot and often painful. Not a bias...I've been carrying the same one for 33 years. Just taught a class where a woman shooter really wanted to try one. After five rounds in a Ruger LCR she was more than done. If women like revolvers, it's usually larger ones.

If she won't let you buy her a gun, buy her some bear spray or the like

Please consider "or the like" not bear spray. There are plenty of good, effective LEGAL defense sprays on the market. Using bear spray (unless you are a member of Antifa but that is a rant for another day) can get you into serious legal problems. Not an attorney but RCW 9.91.160 discusses self defense sprays, not bear spray. In some places this is considered assault with a caustic chemical. Yes, is someone is trying to kill you then all bets are off, but we must be able to justify our use of force.

Lots of good info in the previous posts.

RUG3701.jpg
RUG3283.jpg
Both right around $200, 380 or 9mm.

how much training and experience does she have? a revolver in 357 isnt a bad option either. point and shoot, less likely to malfunction. could load it with some 38spl hollow points

Lots of good information in this thread. I'll toss out a few more thoughts
  • Also have her take a look at the M&P Shield in 9mm. The geometry makes this pistol a lot easier to shoot that you would expect. It's also easier to charge than most. Consider a laser.
  • I'd suggest Remington Golden Saber for defensive ammunition.
  • A pistol is useless unless it's close by and ready to go. How does she plan to carry it?
  • Training. Training. Training.
  • Practice. Practice. Pr active.
  • Other solutions like pepper spray until she is competent and has her CWP.
  • Other solutions I won't mention as they are off topic in a firearms forum, but might be Germaine in a duct taped and beaten until he peed himself and got the message forum.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews