JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I never said she could not handle a 9mm auto
I said if she doesn't have a lot of gun experience
Check out a revolver.
Unfortunately .he and she have waited till .
It got bad .
Before they started looking for a way for her to DEFEND herself.
She doesn't really have time to go take a 2 or 3 day pistol class and .
Learn how to make a auto work if it jams or don't fire.

But with a revolver if it doesn't work you just pull the trigger again

:rolleyes:
If she was new to firearms, why start her off with 19th century technology? You wouldn't recommend your kid get a Model T for their first car, would you? You'd steer her something with seat belts, good brakes and airbags. In the same way you should get someone started with an auto loader in 9mm. She's grown and OP says shes strong for her size. No reason she couldn't rack a G43/Shield or G19/M&P slide or clear their malfunctions with an hour or two of Youtube instruction.
Also, ever blown a primer into the frame of a revolver? You can't "just pull the trigger again." ALL platforms is going to require practice- why not steer her towards a technological and capacity advantage?

Also, ever blown a primer into the frame of a revolver? You can't "just pull the trigger again." ALL platforms is going to require practice- why not steer her towards a technological and capacity advantage?

My thoughts exactly, when a wheel gun goes down it is hard to bring it back up, the majority of the time you can just "beat" on an auto to make it behave.

Most malfunctions in an auto are solved with tap, rack, bang drill, or with a new mag. Limp wristing is bad with any type of gun as it makes for poor accuracy. Its something fairly easily trained away.

Modern semi autos, with some exceptions, are more reliable and robust than revolvers. Revolvers can be bound up with debris, if you are struggling, grabbing the cylinder makes the gun inoperable. If theres a round chambered in an auto, it'll go bang. Revolvers get out of time and can blow up. Ejector rods walk out and can bind the gun up. High primers, bullet jump - both can bind a gun up.

Unless a trigger component breaks or the slide is damaged, most autoloader malfunctions are solved with working the slide and seating the mag. A revolver binding up is not so easily fixed. Loading autos is easier.

Revolvers have a place, but they are inferior especially for new shooters. If a 9x19 is too much, the M&P 380EZ is a serious contender, its flat shooting, easy to operate, easy to load, eazy to load magazines, and reliable.

Wardrobe concessions must be made when you choose to go armed, men must alter their mode if dress, and in a world of claimed equality, women can and should also dress to conceal rather than trying to shoehorn a gun or go with a less reliable mouse hun into their wardrobe. Buying a size bigger pants, wearing a belt, or getting some clothing designed for carry is a necessity. And when in doubt, SmartCarry/Thunderwear can be worn with almost anything but a tight fitting dress, and carry a gun & reload easily.

If she must carry in a purse, a cut proof strap is a must, and she needs to wear the strap cross body like a rifle sling. Much harder for a purse theif to grab it from her. Plenty of fashionable carry purses available too with built in holsters or gun pockets.

Fanny packs are also an option, women can wear one without being ridiculed or thought to be packing a gun far less than men.

The man she lived with for years (who's been married 5 times before- that should have thrown up a red flag) threatened her several times. Police reports and a restraining order has been filed but they are only paper.

She asked me what gun to get and I said a 380. I read several places that that was a good CC gun.

She is strongly independent and won't let me buy her one.

My questions are:

1) What is the best CC 380 for the money reliability/accuracy?

2) Names of good FFL in N Seattle

3) Best places to buy a gun in N Seattle that won't take advantage of a woman

4) Would it be cheaper to buy online and have it shipped to an FFL or buy face to face?

5) A good CC instructor in N Seattle

she plans to purse carry.

Is it better to buy out of state then register in WA?

1) As many others have stated a 9mm is a better choice, ammo is easier to find, many good reliable choices available. Revolvers are nice, but the double action trigger pull can be tough, combine that with the bad sights on a snubby and it becomes practically a contact weapon. Inside a purse it would be, she'd likely have to reach in and shoot from inside the purse. Only a good idea if the attacker is right in front of you.

I don't know of ranges/instructors in Seattle, or FFLs, but buying outside the city is a good idea to avoid Seattle's sale and ammo tax. (Most retailers have moved outside the city, only the big box stores have stayed).

However as always FAS F•A•S - The Firearms Academy of Seattle, Inc. has some of the best CC instruction, but I think you'll want something more accessible/ closer to home to start. Since this is time sensitive.

4) buying online is generally cheaper, but for you it's more a question of what to buy rather than how much.

I'd also recommend on body rather than purse carry, too easy to lose the weapon, or not being able to use it effectively should the need arise. Spending some quality 1 on 1 time with a good instructor at a range that has pistols for rent would be your best choice to solve virtually all these problems. Your daughter can get all her questions answered, figure out what she wants to buy, and how best to carry it. Shame you're not in my area or I'd have more specific recommendations about places to go, and even showing her some things myself. ;)
Once she has the basics down, continuing to practice is critical. Get all the training you can afford.

My daughter handled all of my guns and then shot them. She liked the model 19 S&W with the 6" barrel shooting .38 specials and the 1911 in .45. I got her a 9mm full size 1911 that year for Christmas. We went to the gun store a while back and she ended up picking the M&P 2.0 in 9mm. She doesn't carry yet, but she knows how to try on every gun in the store now.

In the interim may I suggest a big mean dog that will protect her, Chows or a Shepard come to mind. Preferably more than 1.

But were it me and the local LEO's and court system refuse protect her , I'd take no chances with my daughters safety . Period

Firstly I'd be having a good long talk with that boy pointing out the negatives ramifications of giving her anymore problems and should that not work I'd take care of the issue myself,,,,take that as you will!

I'll just let you be the judge as to how handle that and won't say much more than that.

But I will say,,,,If me I'd remind that boy am an expert shot and excel at head shots in remote locations,,, I'm making no suggestions.
Just Remember though,,,The law doesn't work at 2300 FPS

Last Edited:
Welcome to Shooting Sports Northwest Online - Instruction - Handgun

She can take an intro class here at this indoor range in Bothell (not far from her). I believe they allow shooters to try a few rental guns. This goes back to @AndyinEverson 's point that one handgun may be good for one person, but not good for another.

If not already mentioned, I recommend she go apply for her WA State concealed-pistol license (CPL). If she resides in Snohomish County she can go up to Everett during a weekday and apply. It's approximately $60, requires ID and getting fingerprinted. The CPL will arrive in the mail about four weeks later.

I repeat,,neither the law or the permit process works at 2300FPS,,what do you do in the meantime? Has there Actually been physical threats made or happened already?

A good long TALK :rolleyes:,,with that boy, would STILL be my first option, but then,,,,

I'm a surly old 101st Airborne combat vet mother f***er,,,
so "your results may vary" ! LOL!!!

Last Edited:
Firstly I'd be having a good long talk with that boy pointing out the negatives ramifications of giving her anymore problems and should that not work I'd take care of the issue myself,,,,take that as you will!

A good long TALK :rolleyes:,,with that boy, would STILL be my first option, but then,,,,

I agree with much of your post, but not this part. There is no talking at this point and threats will serve no purpose.

1: Get a 9mm instead. Not much more recoil but you get more speed and heavier bullet. Cheaper ammo. The S&W Shield, Glock 43, Glock 26, Walther PPS come to mind if she will CARRY it. If she's just going to have it at home, go bigger because its easier to shoot a larger gun. M&P 2.0/2.0 Compact, Glock 17/19, Walther PPQ, HK VP9, etc.

2: Don't buy guns in Seattle. Seattle charges a tax on guns and ammo.

3: Don't buy guns in Seattle. Federal Way Discount Guns isn't too bad and seem to treat ladies ok.

4: Not a whole lot cheaper and most likely more expensive after shipping/tax/transfer

5: Not sure
Not even an honorable mention for the Sig P365?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top