JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A little something from Dr. Roberts...

Handguns chambered in .380 ACP are small, compact, and generally easy to carry. Unfortunately, testing has shown that they offer inadequate performance for self-defense and for law enforcement use whether on duty as a back-up weapon or for off duty carry. The terminal performance of .380 ACP JHP's is often erratic, with inadequate penetration and inconsistent expansion being common problems, while .380 ACP FMJ's offer adequate penetration, but no expansion. All of the .380 ACP JHP loads we have tested, including CorBon, Hornady, Federal, Remington, Speer, and Winchester exhibited inconsistent, unacceptable terminal performance for law enforcement back-up and off duty self-defense use due to inadequate penetration or inadequate expansion. Stick with FMJ for .380 ACP or better yet, don't use it at all. The use of .380 ACP and smaller caliber weapons is really not recommended for LE use and many savvy agencies prohibit them.

BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp

When I had to renew my CPL I went to the Maple Valley one. But for the first time you need to make an appointment and wait. I called in early June for my first CPL but they did not have any openings until mid-August so I had to wait. So please have your daughter call and make an appointment as soon as you can. I had to pay by check and so I had to show my drivers license and for my second picture I brought my passport. Please note that when I applied they were only taking checks so your drivers license should match her home address. I am not sure if they take credit cards now either since when I renewed I also paid by check.

Concealed pistol license - King County

CHL also speeds up the waiting period in Oregon. It usually takes like 20-25 minutes without a CHL but if the CHL is entered the wait is only about 10 min. The FFL has to know what boxes to check/info to enter in the Oregon system though because if they don't do it the right way it has no effect.
My friend is taking her CHL class at Sporting Systems next weekend. 4 states for $100 (OR, WA,Utah,& AZ) plus donuts and snacks. Damn! I missed out on that deal.
I did a transfer in OR the other day and I was jumped up in line because of my CHL. Never asked me about it but in OR it is listed with the state through my DL. Not true in WA tho.

A 5 round revolver may not be enough. I've always felt its super fuddy to assume a woman cant handle a double stack 9mm and gotta go straight to a 442. If shes got small hands, they make a Shield and a Glock 43 with more ammo than a J frame could dream of.
Unless she plans on practicing reloading with speed loaders, steer her towards a mag-fed gun. 38 has stopped a lot of a$$holes, but 9mm is king for a reason.
How it feels in her hand while shes shopping means nothing, TRY to get her to test-drive a few. She might be surprised which one she can shoot better.
Persuade her that off body carry is wildly ineffective compared to a good IWB holster. Purses get snatched, belts don't.
Buy her 500 rounds of ammo and get her to shoot all of it. None of this means anything without significant practice and vetting of the firearm.
I never said she could not handle a 9mm auto
I said if she doesn't have a lot of gun experience
Check out a revolver.
Unfortunately .he and she have waited till .
It got bad .
Before they started looking for a way for her to DEFEND herself.
She doesn't really have time to go take a 2 or 3 day pistol class and .
Learn how to make a auto work if it jams or don't fire.

But with a revolver if it doesn't work you just pull the trigger again

Recommending a J-frame revolver is, in my opinion, irresponsible. All the gun shop dudes recommend these "girl-guns" because they're small, fit in a purse, they're small, they're cute, and supposedly they are more reliable. We have a couple, and some of the ladies have brought their own that their husbands have purchased for them. 99% of our ladies HATE THEM. They are snappy and hurt their wrists and palms, especially in .357 and even in .38.
I recommended a j frame because it can be simpler, not because its a girly gun. I like them and I'm not a girl. Sometimes they have their place over a semi auto that might jam with limp wristing (not naming any specific brands but we know whuch ones) or not fire if slide is out of battery.

If someone in your class showed up with a j frame loaded with .357 mag to shoot/train then that was just plain silly. Esp if it was a 15 oz j frame that's uncomfortable for anyone.

(not naming any specific brands but we know whuch ones) or not fire if slide is out of battery."

Please name them as I don't know which ones you speak of...

Thanks

PS I like my Ruger SP101 .357 magnum five shot revolver, but the trigger pull is so strong/heavy my wife and grown Granddaughter can't pull the trigger.

The man she lived with for years (who's been married 5 times before- that should have thrown up a red flag) threatened her several times. Police reports and a restraining order has been filed but they are only paper.

She asked me what gun to get and I said a 380. I read several places that that was a good CC gun.

She is strongly independent and won't let me buy her one.

My questions are:

1) What is the best CC 380 for the money reliability/accuracy?

2) Names of good FFL in N Seattle

3) Best places to buy a gun in N Seattle that won't take advantage of a woman

4) Would it be cheaper to buy online and have it shipped to an FFL or buy face to face?

5) A good CC instructor in N Seattle

she plans to purse carry.

Is it better to buy out of state then register in WA?

Suggestion, maybe find a woman NRA instructor in the area and have the daughter consider seeking her out for advice. Lots of women do not have the mental set to defend themselves. Maybe some 1:1 martial arts tutoring by a woman may be of help. 380, 9mm or 38 will help level the playing field. My daughter has a 38/357 and 9mm and she has been shooting for 15 years.

(not naming any specific brands but we know whuch ones) or not fire if slide is out of battery."

Please name them as I don't know which ones you speak of...

Thanks

PS I like my Ruger SP101 .357 magnum five shot revolver, but the trigger pull is so strong/heavy my wife and grown Granddaughter can't pull the trigger.

Although I like Glocks, some people even men limp wrist them so they jam. Ive also seen an hk p2000 9mm limp wrist jam.

Maybe you should check out the Ruger lcr revolvers for your granddaughter. Great trigger pull EDIT: Review: Ruger LCR 9mm - Lucky Gunner Lounge

Last Edited:
Thank you for all your replies. Yes, she has shot before, she is around 40 and very strong for her size. I have bought her a taser and I'm making arrangements for her to go to a range that has "all you can eat" rental handguns. I concur it doesn't matter how good the gun is if she doesn't like it or know how to use it. Unfortunately, I no longer travel well but I will make arrangements for her to get the training she needs. When she was still at home, I was very busy and she had no interest in guns. Let this be a lesson for you with kids still at home!!!!

Can you get your money back on the taser? I'm an LEO and carry a taser. I have little to no confidence in those things. They are not a good reactive weapon. PNW weather, and the clothing that goes with it, is often effective at keeping tasers from having any effect at all. The handheld stun guns don't incapacitate at all, they just hurt. When you hurt, you jerk away from it and then its no longer hurting you.

I'm not really a fan of OC either. It's not going to stop an assailant. OC takes time to take effect and that time is very dangerous. The perp is now enraged and you have to get moving until the stuff starts to cook. If you're indoors, thats gonna be a problem. Secondary exposure is very likely.

For the average person, the chance to deploy these options is very limited from the time a threat has been identified to when its too late. I recommend OC over a taser because your chances of getting SOME effect are greater and its considered a lower level of force in court. Its all fun and games until you dart a guy in the eyeball with a taser. OC also requires less accuracy and you can "walk it" on target if you keep your wits.

For me, I'm far more likely to go hands-on than use less-lethal. Thats not an option for everyone, I understand. Get her in the mindset of dressing to be able to escape or fight. She may already do that.

Although I like Glocks, some people even men limp wrist them so they jam. Ive also seen an hk p2000 9mm limp wrist jam.

Maybe you should check out the Ruger lcr revolvers for your granddaughter. Great trigger pull

With the Gen 3 Glocks, we had lots of people limp wrist them. Especially academy students who had never shot before. The HK USP didn't seem as bad, but many people would drop the DA shot. The M&P is pretty forgiving and easy to rack. We have good luck getting novice shooters to a level of competency after several days of doing a lot of shooting.

Can you get your money back on the taser? I'm an LEO and carry a taser. I have little to no confidence in those things. They are not a good reactive weapon. PNW weather, and the clothing that goes with it, is often effective at keeping tasers from having any effect at all. The handheld stun guns don't incapacitate at all, they just hurt. When you hurt, you jerk away from it and then its no longer hurting you.

I'm not really a fan of OC either. It's not going to stop an assailant. OC takes time to take effect and that time is very dangerous. The perp is now enraged and you have to get moving until the stuff starts to cook. If you're indoors, thats gonna be a problem. Secondary exposure is very likely.

For the average person, the chance to deploy these options is very limited from the time a threat has been identified to when its too late. I recommend OC over a taser because your chances of getting SOME effect are greater and its considered a lower level of force in court. Its all fun and games until you dart a guy in the eyeball with a taser. OC also requires less accuracy and you can "walk it" on target if you keep your wits.

For me, I'm far more likely to go hands-on than use less-lethal. Thats not an option for everyone, I understand. Get her in the mindset of dressing to be able to escape or fight. She may already do that.

Great post!! I believe you are spot on. I'll take an impact weapon over a taser or OC any day of the week.

These devices lull you into a false sense of security that you won't have to get physical. No one wants to get hurt, but you have to have the mindset that you're gonna get hit, its gonna hurt, but you'll return the damage ten-fold.
Yep but there are so many people out there that have never ever been punched in the face .
Lol and when it happens for the first time they kinda just freezz up and are really stunned by it.
And quit fighting

With the Gen 3 Glocks, we had lots of people limp wrist them. Especially academy students who had never shot before. The HK USP didn't seem as bad, but many people would drop the DA shot. The M&P is pretty forgiving and easy to rack. We have good luck getting novice shooters to a level of competency after several days of doing a lot of shooting.

I currently own four Gen 3 9mm Glocks (have had plenty others) and have never had that issue with any of them, lots of rounds down the tube and not once has it happened to me. I go shooting with some friends and this one dude could not make it through a magazine without BTF or a limp wrist choke. I'd take it from him, clear it and run it fine, hand it back and he'd choke it again. I'm like "WTF dude, quit holding the thing like a little girl"

100% training issue.

Now 3rd Gen 40's with WML, that's a different story.

I currently own four Gen 3 9mm Glocks (have had plenty others) and have never had that issue with any of them, lots of rounds down the tube and not once has it happened to me. I go shooting with some friends and this one dude could not make it through a magazine without BTF or a limp wrist choke. I'd take it from him, clear it and run it fine, hand it back and he'd choke it again. I'm like "WTF dude, quit holding the thing like a little girl"

100% training issue.

Now 3rd Gen 40's with WML, that's a different story.

Ive seen the same stuff. Glocks don't fit some people and I find novices that are timid about semi-autos seem to not want to get their hand up under a Glock. I have meaty hands and I've yet to get slide-bite from a Glock, so I think the fear is irrational. But, I feel that some guns are better at calming those fears because of things like beavertails. The original M&P, Beretta 92s and Sig P-series pistols require real effort to get slide bite.

The man she lived with for years (who's been married 5 times before- that should have thrown up a red flag) threatened her several times. Police reports and a restraining order has been filed but they are only paper.

She asked me what gun to get and I said a 380. I read several places that that was a good CC gun.

She is strongly independent and won't let me buy her one.

My questions are:

1) What is the best CC 380 for the money reliability/accuracy?

2) Names of good FFL in N Seattle

3) Best places to buy a gun in N Seattle that won't take advantage of a woman

4) Would it be cheaper to buy online and have it shipped to an FFL or buy face to face?

5) A good CC instructor in N Seattle

she plans to purse carry.

Is it better to buy out of state then register in WA?
I have to come back to the OP
yes the married 5 time's should have been a red flag.

Lol ANY MAN THAT GOT MARRIED 5 TIME'S
IS CRAZY .

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews