JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do all the brass trolls do the same drugs and drive the same white mini vans? That couple sounds conspicuously similar to the trolls that hang out at pickle butte range here. White mini van….toothless and high strung….hover like vultures and sometimes like to start picking up brass behind you while you're shooting . One day dude pissed me off so bad with his lurking and his weird energy/bad juju that I made it a point to pick up all the brass and empty shotgun shells on the lane while he watched -and I don't reload he just pissed me off 😂.

Sounds like one of those people who doesn't like to compromise. Being reasonably polite goes a long way and it sounds like he wasn't willing to offer any compromise. Rather than shoot in their general direction he should have pulled out his phone and filmed them if he really felt they were in the wrong. Then he could have handled it with law enforcement. Or he could have had a conversation with them something like "hey I want to shoot my gun at night, even though it's illegal, when do you think I could come up when you guys won't be here?" I don't know. There's always a better path before using a gun, even if just being use to intimidate.
He did say in his post that these interactions had gone on for years, so maybe he just reached the boiling point. Not that that excuses his behavior.

Statistics show 5 out of 4 people are not very good at fractions. :rolleyes:
That's a lot!

The tweekers aren't wrong. It is at least a ticketable offense to shoot between dusk and dawn on state lands

OAR 629-025-0040
General Forest Recreation Rules and Public Conduct
(9)
Target Shooting.
(a) A Person may not:​
(G) Engage in target shooting or other shooting related activity at times between one half-hour after sunset until one half-hour before sunrise.​

Last Edited:
Sounds charming.
2024 is going to be another year of avoiding humanity.
This reminds me of a very significant piece of German Philosophy.

For guidance, after Kant and John Rawls, I turn to the valued words of Arthur Shopenauer most frequently:

203773EB-F229-455B-AAC6-11D8DF3DEF3A.jpeg

Yes, he really said this.

I've ran into the couple in the white van before as well as other interesting types at Wolf Creek.

I posted in that thread on Reddit about the couple in the van calling me a "sadistic communist who should be shot" because I was using steel cased in my AK.

I had a similar run in with a older man in a red Dodge Ram who was pissed at my steel case usage. 3 months back me and my co-workers had a range day at Wolf Creek at Lane 3 when we notice a couple cars that would drive past us aggressively. They looped back and forth at least 6 times before they stopped past the lane and stared us down for about 30 minutes. We were a pretty large group (about 10 of us shooting that day), when they saw us finally packing up and they parked in the middle of the road, got out buckets and started collecting our brass. A lot of us were still had firearms uncased on the berms so we were getting uneasy about this and led to them getting pissed at us for taking too long to leave.

Just tossing this out as something to consider....

When you are out shooting in a public area and someone or a few someones :
Give you a difficult time...
Don't wanna wait till you are done...
Give you hard stares / hairy eyeball / dirty looks...
Get all uppity with what you are doing ....

All when you what you are doing is legal and safe....
It may be best just to not engage with them and leave.
They are the ones being unreasonable....and you can't reason with unreason.

Whatever annoyance , frustration , or plain old fashioned WTH , they are causing you...
It ain't worth you doing something that may cost you your life , firearms or freedom.

I ain't sayin' that you should be a doormnat and have people walk all over you...
But if it comes to fight...it best to be in a fight you will win in.
Andy

Last Edited:
*I dont know what Portland area prices are
From Metro Metals

Yellow Bras...$195.00lb

Truth. I'm more disturbed by the people using the lanes that leave a total bubblegum mess.
We've been out Browns Camp area looking for Chanterelles, and the Beaver Dam Pit is disgusting with the amount of shotgun shells and ammo boxes over the edge.

From Metro Metals

Yellow Bras...$195.00lb

Truth. I'm more disturbed by the people using the lanes that leave a total bubblegum mess.
We've been out Browns Camp area looking for Chanterelles, and the Beaver Dam Pit is disgusting with the amount of shotgun shells and ammo boxes over the edge.
Have to agree with you about the mess at Brown's Camp. That is a working quarry. The owners and the State Forest clean it up 2-3 times a year.
As to the people who make the mess out there, I learned that the only time to go out there was to be there at 8am and I would stay until the cars came in. I still usually got in 90 minutes of shooting. I just never liked people walking back and forth behind me when I was shooting. Then it was time to go.

I wonder if the couple in The Van started off saying something like that
When people tell me they want to move out into the country to get away from everybody I always remind them that they will live next to 3-4 other people who 'wanted to move out to get away from everybody else'......... You can have a nice house and yard that will abut your neighbors derelict cars and refrigerators!!

Have to agree with you about the mess at Brown's Camp. That is a working quarry. The owners and the State Forest clean it up 2-3 times a year.
As to the people who make the mess out there, I learned that the only time to go out there was to be there at 8am and I would stay until the cars came in. I still usually got in 90 minutes of shooting. I just never liked people walking back and forth behind me when I was shooting. Then it was time to go.
Oh, I don't think that place has been cleaned up for several years. Someone must have raked/power blown the pig shot-gunners mess over the bank. It's a foot or more deep at the base there.

That's the first place we shot when we got into guns for real in 2010. Dad gave me his guns and had his Colt woodsman and his step dad's S&W M&P .38 Special with us. Plus my 10/22 that I'd had for many years and never fired since I moved to potland. We didn't take ear plugs, never used them the few times I'd shot that .22. Good lord the .38 was loud! A couple guys there were really nice and had spare plugs. Let me shoot his snubbie. I 'spose things have changed now, like everything else. The times we drove out to shoot was pretty nice people as I recall.

Oh, I don't think that place has been cleaned up for several years. Someone must have raked/power blown the pig shot-gunners mess over the bank. It's a foot or more deep at the base there.

That's the first place we shot when we got into guns for real in 2010. Dad gave me his guns and had his Colt woodsman and his step dad's S&W M&P .38 Special with us. Plus my 10/22 that I'd had for many years and never fired since I moved to potland. We didn't take ear plugs, never used them the few times I'd shot that .22. Good lord the .38 was loud! A couple guys there were really nice and had spare plugs. Let me shoot his snubbie. I 'spose things have changed now, like everything else. The times we drove out to shoot was pretty nice people as I recall.
The owners of the quarry were (I've been gone 2 1/2 years now) grading and cleaning the crap off the floor of the quarry 1-2x year because they were working it occasionally. That's why the quarry is closed sometimes (use the website to check ahead -- http://tillamookstateforest.blogspot.com/p/target-shooting.html . I doubt that has changed much. I've seen refrigerators, TVs, broken glass, ocean floats, etc, etc, etc. They really have been very nice to let people use it over the years, even if they do trash it.

When people tell me they want to move out into the country to get away from everybody I always remind them that they will live next to 3-4 other people who 'wanted to move out to get away from everybody else'......... You can have a nice house and yard that will abut your neighbors derelict cars and refrigerators!!
You know? Some how with all the extra room out there, that doesn't seem as bad as the neighbo, cancel that. The people that live "NEXT DOOR" here. Who only cut their yards twice a year. Whether it needs it or not.

I don't have neighbors.

The owners of the quarry were (I've been gone 2 1/2 years now) grading and cleaning the crap off the floor of the quarry 1-2x year because they were working it occasionally. That's why the quarry is closed sometimes (use the website to check ahead -- http://tillamookstateforest.blogspot.com/p/target-shooting.html . I doubt that has changed much. I've seen refrigerators, TVs, broken glass, ocean floats, etc, etc, etc. They really have been very nice to let people use it over the years, even if they do trash it.
The way it is now there's no way to clean up the hulls. They are in the large rocks at the base of the platform there. We only go out there regularly in the fall for mushrooms. And a few other times when we do oyster runs to Tillamook.

Isn't it golden bear ammo that's actually brass coated steel? That's the stuff to buy if shooting at wolf Creek just to troll the white van squares

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top