JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Isn't it golden bear ammo that's actually brass coated steel? That's the stuff to buy if shooting at wolf Creek just to troll the white van squares
You sure you don't mean the "Copper Washed" stuff? Maybe I've never seen golden Bear in the wild? It would fool me!!

We found a place in The Tillamook a couple weeks ago where we picked up a couple hundred mixed 9mm, .45acp and .223/5.56. Could find skwatt for Chanterelles! So brass was a satisfying second.

You sure you don't mean the "Copper Washed" stuff? Maybe I've never seen golden Bear in the wild? It would fool me!!

We found a place in The Tillamook a couple weeks ago where we picked up a couple hundred mixed 9mm, .45acp and .223/5.56. Could find skwatt for Chanterelles! So brass was a satisfying second.

When you are out shooting in a public area and someone or a few someones :
Give you a difficult time...
Don't wanna wait till you are done...
Give you hard stares / hairy eyeball / dirty looks...
Get all uppity with what you are doing ....

All when you what you are doing is legal and safe....
It may be best just to not engage with them and leave.
They are ones being unreasonable....and you can't reason with unreason.

Whatever annoyance , frustration , or plain old fashioned WTH , they are causing you...
It ain't worth you doing something that may cost you your life , firearms or freedom.

I ain't sayin' that you should be a doormnat and have people walk all over you...
But if it comes to fight...it best to be in a fight you will win in.
Andy
Not how it should be, but how it is...sage advice.
Sometimes people (all of us) let our normalcy bias take over and expect people who are narcissists, sociopaths/psychopaths, have mental health issues, dark triad folks, to act "normally." Not going to happen. We cannot control them and what can get us in trouble is expecting we can and they will respond rationally. These can quickly turn into dangerous situations.

Then we realize we are getting into a gunfight over $5 worth of brass.
Yellow Bras...$195.00lb
I think the decimal point may have shifted over a few places because at $200 a pound, I'm rich!!! :D

Just tossing this out as something to consider....

Whatever annoyance , frustration , or plain old fashioned WTH , they are causing you...
It ain't worth you doing something that may cost you your life , firearms or freedom.

I ain't sayin' that you should be a doormnat and have people walk all over you...
Andy
Wise advice in many areas of life. I have teenagers with licenses and wheels, and I tell them the same thing about driving. Someone cuts you off or does something otherwise aggressive, rude, or stupid? Get out of their way and let them go. Never react or get into it with some stranger on the road. Stay away from crazy.

Just tossing this out as something to consider....

Andy
The fight we won't win is in court. Considering that people who are collecting spent brass should be fully aware that they are approaching armed individuals (it IS a shooting range), they are probably armed as well. Even shooting someone who is armed, I'm sure in Oregon, will at best lose you your guns and probably land you in prison. My thoughts are, not only would I avoid engaging them and leave, but I'd probably find somewhere else to shoot. Sounds like these people are there at least as often as they're not there and I'd rather not put myself through having to deal with them. It seems like they have no trouble provoking people but shining lights on them, staring at them and generally just making them uneasy. It seems like they're trying to get a reaction, probably a negative one. Sounds like some hillbillies with loose screws if you asked me.

The fight we won't win is in court. Considering that people who are collecting spent brass should be fully aware that they are approaching armed individuals (it IS a shooting range), they are probably armed as well. Even shooting someone who is armed, I'm sure in Oregon, will at best lose you your guns and probably land you in prison. My thoughts are, not only would I avoid engaging them and leave, but I'd probably find somewhere else to shoot. Sounds like these people are there at least as often as they're not there and I'd rather not put myself through having to deal with them. It seems like they have no trouble provoking people but shining lights on them, staring at them and generally just making them uneasy. It seems like they're trying to get a reaction, probably a negative one. Sounds like some hillbillies with loose screws if you asked me.
Or internet "pranksters", which should be a hanging offense in any jurisdiction...

Or internet "pranksters", which should be a hanging offense in any jurisdiction...
Well usually people pranking people on the internet are trying to get views/likes and then turn that into a way of making money. I wonder if they think that's actually a viable way of getting paid. 🤔

:oops: BRASS.
Dammit.
I wasn't talking about your misspelling (brass vs. bras), although that's funny, too.

$195.00/pound for turning in spent brass is pretty righteous! Where do I go to get that price?

Last Edited:
$195.00/pound for turning in spent brass is pretty righteous! Where do I go to get that price?
I'd be standing next to people about 3 ft to the right and a 1-2ft back with a bucket catching them things in the air for that price! .... and also for you know...environmental purposes and stuff...

I think you kinda nailed it.
whilst some people might appear "unaproachable", a simple acknowledgement, a "hello" can completely change the dynamic- most people aren't inherently arseholes and respond to consideration in kind, so I applaud you for being civil and showing kindness. I imagine their attitude towards shooters is a reflection of that they've received.
This. Appearing civil and even friendly towards sketchy people has helped me to avoid worse encounters more than once. That's just an obvious tactic in an escalation of force as far as I am concerned.... least lethal, least likely to provoke an unwanted response, and least likely to involve law enforcement. I said hello to the van people the same way I would have said hello to any of you even though internally my response was NOT the same. They were polite to us and left us alone, even though they lurked until we left and made us quite uncomfortable by being there.

When I was a kid, my neighborhood was a couple miles away from a gang neighborhood and I would occasionally encounter obvious gang members on the sidewalk or at the park. I always made eye contact, said "hey" or nodded hello, and kept moving. They always nodded what's up and I never once had a problem. To be fair, even gangbangers in the 80s were more civilized than a lot of average people today. But eye contact and a friendly "hello" have worked wonders with sketchy people for me.

I wasn't talking about your misspelling (brass vs. bras), although that's funny, too.

Comparing that price to another one posted earlier I think the correct price might be $1.95/lb

Shucks at $195 I'm rich!

Comparing that price to another one posted earlier I think the correct price might be $1.95/lb

Shucks at $195 I'm rich!
Yeah, I knew Mike was off by a factor of 100, but I just had to give him shiit for it. Cuz, yunno... just cuz... :s0140:

The last time I turned in spent brass up here was a coupla years ago, and I got only $1.76/pound back then.
Seems like everything is more expensive these days. Geez, I wonder why, what with Bidenomics saving us money every day... 🤔

I was apart of a team in charge of security of the entire training area on MCAGCC 29 Palms, CA. We had scrappers there all the time. And they would drive into live fire ranges where ordinance was being dropped and active live fire was taking place. We would have to call for cold ranges to chase and arrest them. Certain areas on base where aviation would drop ordinance before landing was a no go for anyone. If you chased them into that grid you just smiled and waved goodby. Cause the probability of hitting something live was higher than we were going to bet our lives on.

In the past there were incidents where the scrappers tried to run over Marines in attempt to kill them…..

Needless to say these aren't the most sound individuals. Don't stoop to their level. You look stupid.

Yeah, I knew Mike was off by a factor of 100, but I just had to give him shiit for it. Cuz, yunno... just cuz... :s0140:

The last time I turned in spent brass up here was a coupla years ago, and I got only $1.76/pound back then.
Seems like everything is more expensive these days. Geez, I wonder why, what with Bidenomics saving us money every day... 🤔
Bidenomics saves you money because you won't be able to afford a car, a dishwasher, to turn on the heat/AC, or replace your water heater, your ceiling fans or your gas stove. They are only doing it for your benefit. I just wonder who is the person in the WH who pull on his puppet strings.

Don't know if this is true. If it was true, there was a lot of stupid running around in Wolf Creek that day, on both sides.

I remember one time we were in the back woods, shooting in a clearing miles away from civilization. Out of nowhere a random dude in board shorts, tank top and flip-flops comes walking out of the bushes and asks how we're doing. Definitely not your typical hiker, or moss picker. This was before Oregon legalized weed, so it didn't take long for us to figure out his grow was probably nearby and he wanted to see if we were law enforcement, or a threat. He knew we were armed. We figured he was likely armed, as well as his 4 or 5 buddies we couldn't see, but could hear moving around in the bushes. We kept conversation polite and cordial. He eventually says "well, have a nice day" and walks back into the woods...and we loaded up our gear as quickly as we could, without looking obvious about it, and got the heck out of there. 100% true story that could have gone very, very bad if we had lipped off with a bunch of attitude. Being armed isn't just about guns, but also having the wisdom to know when to use diplomacy instead.

Being armed isn't just about guns, but also having the wisdom to know when to use diplomacy instead.
Ditto this....

And don't forget, 'Discretion is the better part of valor'

However (and unfortunately) there are still going to be the hotheads, 'drunk' on the belief that guns are their source of 'power' who will possibly (and ultimately) wind up in trouble AND making it worse for the rest of us.

Don't know if this is true. If it was true, there was a lot of stupid running around in Wolf Creek that day, on both sides.

I remember one time we were in the back woods, shooting in a clearing miles away from civilization. Out of nowhere a random dude in board shorts, tank top and flip-flops comes walking out of the bushes and asks how we're doing. Definitely not your typical hiker, or moss picker. This was before Oregon legalized weed, so it didn't take long for us to figure out his grow was probably nearby and he wanted to see if we were law enforcement, or a threat. He knew we were armed. We figured he was likely armed, as well as his 4 or 5 buddies we couldn't see, but could hear moving around in the bushes. We kept conversation polite and cordial. He eventually says "well, have a nice day" and walks back into the woods...and we loaded up our gear as quickly as we could, without looking obvious about it, and got the heck out of there. 100% true story that could have gone very, very bad if we had lipped off with a bunch of attitude. Being armed isn't just about guns, but also having the wisdom to know when to use diplomacy instead.
Cool heads prevail

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR