JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't get the, "things that never happened for 500, Alex." vibe from this story. Maybe the account is exaggerated but apparently there really is a sketchy older couple in a white van who scavenges brass (I've not seen them myself but I've not been to Wolf Creek in years) but a few posters have so far have mentioned them. As such, probably not 100% made up.

Of the few times I've encountered brass goblins, it's been sufficient to tell them I'm a reloader and keep my brass. Whether it's true or not, it tends to get them out of your hair because then they won't wait around for you to finish.

Just tuned into this 4 page thread.

What are the chances you've been trolled?

Pretty good I'd say.......
This is reminiscent of the the thread where the supposed "pharmacist" had to pawn all of his firearms and now he was defenseless to protect his three housecats from the local bobcat who was attempting to capture them, that went on for 10 pages.
That individual claimed to be from Roseburg, there are some funny goings-on occurring in Southern Oregon.

Yeah, Mike, the cleanup in May. The guy and gal in the white minivan. But I don't recall a light on top.

Not very social, clean or desirable, but we had no problem with them throughout the day. They joined right in and helped pick up a lot of trash.

I could tell they didn't feel real welcome, as no one was talking with them, so I invited them to the lunch. They appreciated it.

On their way out, I went to their car to say thanks and notice his hand gun on his hip. He carries full time.

Saw them again two weeks ago when I was there. Just looking for an open range to pick up brass.

I suspect, from the OP, there may have been a confrontation, but I'm more inclined to think it's stretched a bit. (Most likely a lot). He is obviously one who likes stir the pot and tell outrageous stories.

As for the brass collector, yeah, he should have backed off when (if) the shooter said he was still shooting. (The collector was 100% correct in that shooting after dark is against the law).

Not believing this exaggerated story!

Bill
I think you kinda nailed it.
whilst some people might appear "unaproachable", a simple acknowledgement, a "hello" can completely change the dynamic- most people aren't inherently arseholes and respond to consideration in kind, so I applaud you for being civil and showing kindness. I imagine their attitude towards shooters is a reflection of that they've received.
Just shoot within about 30 feet of them to really piss them off.
I'm hoping you know I was being facetious……

The last time we just went out shooting few weeks ago out in estacada , this junk car rolls up at 6 am packed with everything this lady owns.
She hops out right next to us , lights her cigarette and begins scavenging brass. Closer and closer and closer until she was bent over wanting to walk under our rifle. Talking and talking and absolutely destroying my fun morning.
We just let her be. She said someone left AR in a case and she took it . We did try and shoot really loud and really fast hoping to redirect her away from us. But ole cloth ears wasn't having it . This is why I

Bring a friend with big guns
Bring armor for us both
Use the car as somewhat as a shield behind us while we shoot.

Don't know why people just assume everything is fake..

hgmdd.png

I think you kinda nailed it.
whilst some people might appear "unaproachable", a simple acknowledgement, a "hello" can completely change the dynamic- most people aren't inherently arseholes and respond to consideration in kind, so I applaud you for being civil and showing kindness. I imagine their attitude towards shooters is a reflection of that they've received.

I'm hoping you know I was being facetious……
Of course. Thought the laugh react implied that. :D

I have seen enough local yokels are Brown's Camp and Salmonberry that I won't shoot in the area anymore.

Not worth fighting idiots too stupid to comprehend the consequences of their actions and willing to pick a fight where no one wins.

Its bad when I feel like I need a loaded AR, pistol, and shotty on stanby in addition to whatever else I am shooting just to feel safe on public land.

After all this, FIVE PAGES, I don't understand how people still leave enough brass for someone to make money off? I started loading in Nov 2011. 2012 Sandy Hook shooting took everything away, and raised prices for three years. The the potato in chief takes the wheel and everything disappears again and really increases prices, and looks like it will never come back down. And still scarce for some things. Cartridge brass is around $2.20#.

J.R.'s Scrap Brass Prices
  • Red Brass. $2.50/lb. Non-Ferrous. ...
  • Yellow Brass – Clean. $2.20/lb. Non-Ferrous. ...
  • Yellow Brass – Dirty. $1.00/lb. Non-Ferrous. ...
  • Cartridges. $2.20/lb. Non-Ferrous. ...
  • Copper Brass Radiators – Clean. $2.05/lb. Non-Ferrous. ...
  • Copper Brass Radiators – Dirty. $1.00/lb. Non-Ferrous.

Gas is above $4.00/gal. I would think that anyone who shoots, has friends that shoot, know people that reload. Doesn't make sense.

After all this, FIVE PAGES, I don't understand how people still leave enough brass for someone to make money off? I started loading in Nov 2011. 2012 Sandy Hook shooting took everything away, and raised prices for three years. The the potato in chief takes the wheel and everything disappears again and really increases prices, and looks like it will never come back down. And still scarce for some things. Cartridge brass is around $2.20#.

J.R.'s Scrap Brass Prices
  • Red Brass. $2.50/lb. Non-Ferrous. ...
  • Yellow Brass – Clean. $2.20/lb. Non-Ferrous. ...
  • Yellow Brass – Dirty. $1.00/lb. Non-Ferrous. ...
  • Cartridges. $2.20/lb. Non-Ferrous. ...
  • Copper Brass Radiators – Clean. $2.05/lb. Non-Ferrous. ...
  • Copper Brass Radiators – Dirty. $1.00/lb. Non-Ferrous.

Gas is above $4.00/gal. I would think that anyone who shoots, has friends that shoot, know people that reload. Doesn't make sense.
I don't know that it's "enough to make money off of", and many aren't very good at doing the maths.

After all this, FIVE PAGES, I don't understand how people still leave enough brass for someone to make money off?
The effort of scrounging brass and selling it scrap I dont see how that makes any money worth the effort. At $2.20/lb* youd have to collect about 23lbs of spent cases just to make $50 bucks, minus gas.

*I dont know what Portland area prices are

The effort of scrounging brass and selling it scrap I dont see how that makes any money worth the effort. At $2.20/lb* youd have to collect about 23lbs of spent cases just to make $50 bucks, minus gas.

They probably figure they'll be there with a bunch of catalytic converters they found on the side of the road anyway so hey, save a trip.

You'd make better money picking up beer cans on the side of the road or picking mushrooms(ive made good money years ago picking mushrooms and digging truffels)....I got a idea! They could get a job!

I don't see how it's viable. I once filled (to the top) one of those Home Depot buckets with spent brass (mostly .223 and .308 too chewed up by roller-delayed rifles with fluted chambers to ever reload, Berdan-primed surplus brass). It ended up weighing 70+ pounds and ended getting a little over $150. It took literal years to accumulate that much brass and made me question how it could ever be worth anyone's time to engage in brass collecting for money on the regular.

Maybe he has a bump stock.
Maybe, and maybe he was just trying to sound tacticool. It's more than likely he meant he fired 10 shots. Either way, it was stupid and dangerous.

Yet there are those who do it. :s0092:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews