JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yet there are those who do it. :s0092:
not for long, its not sustainable. It will only last as long as their next car repair.
When you have no money, any money is good money
maybe some supplement their money with brass collecting because if you can afford gas and a car to drive all the way out there you got some money. Otherwise its not sustainable on its own.

not for long, its not sustainable. It will only last as long as their next car repair.

maybe some supplement their money with brass collecting because if you can afford gas and a car to drive all the way out there you got some money. Otherwise its not sustainable on its own.
Tweakers are not the most logical thinkers.

You know, they may live in that van, and maybe up in the woods. A little more understanding always goes a long way.

Maybe, and maybe he was just trying to sound tacticool. It's more than likely he meant he fired 10 shots. Either way, it was stupid and dangerous.

Yet there are those who do it. :s0092:
Sounds like one of those people who doesn't like to compromise. Being reasonably polite goes a long way and it sounds like he wasn't willing to offer any compromise. Rather than shoot in their general direction he should have pulled out his phone and filmed them if he really felt they were in the wrong. Then he could have handled it with law enforcement. Or he could have had a conversation with them something like "hey I want to shoot my gun at night, even though it's illegal, when do you think I could come up when you guys won't be here?" I don't know. There's always a better path before using a gun, even if just being use to intimidate.

Years ago the scavengers were pretty bold up in Estacada. I've firmly but politely told them to maintain their distance on several occasions. I've since stopped going out by myself especially since the double murder up at one range I use. Always stay armed and alert. Shoot with friends. Another piece of advice is to throw down a tarp and save your brass. Even if you don't reload, pick up your trash. No spare brass=fewer tweakers!

Years ago the scavengers were pretty bold up in Estacada. I've firmly but politely told them to maintain their distance on several occasions. I've since stopped going out by myself especially since the double murder up at one range I use. Always stay armed and alert. Shoot with friends. Another piece of advice is to throw down a tarp and save your brass. Even if you don't reload, pick up your trash. No spare brass=fewer tweakers!
Good point. A buddy of mine went shooting up past Estacada recently and he said there were some young dudes out there having beers and mag dumping. After they left, he went over to look and not only did they leave spent casings, they left unused ammo AND the stand to mount their steel target. Probably a $60-$80 stand. IF you leave things of value, they'll be hovering like vultures. That's quick cash/a quick fix for the right people.

True story or not, simple tweekers or meth heads, right or wrong by either party, a worthwhile enterprise or not, reminiscing about similar experiences...

This thread has kept me entertained all day! Thanks for the interesting, and often funny, conversation!

True story or not, simple tweekers or meth heads, right or wrong by either party, a worthwhile enterprise or not, reminiscing about similar experiences...

This thread has kept me entertained all day! Thanks for the interesting, and often funny, conversation!
Perfect timing too.. halloween and all. Our children's children will be telling the story of The Dangerous Hothead at Wolf Creek and The Brass Ghouls for generations to come.
what was that noise!?

Recently I see people walking around without eye pro. Same people who will cause the city to shut down the range when a rock chip takes out their eyesight.

This kind of behavior is a new thing. Nobody dared do that even 10 years ago.
Other than a lot of new shooters due to the 2020 panics, not much has changed in my experience. About 10 years ago I was at the larch rock pit and the place was full of people shooting, then all of a sudden some dumb bubblegums on dirt bikes started riding on top of the back stop then acted confused when everyone started yelling at them. People are stupid and always will be

Some people just like the "something for nothing" idea, not considering the time and effort involved.

There are brass hounds and then there are brass hounds. I'll pick up abandoned brass when I find it, and my son used to come with me to the range and made some money picking up brass and selling it, but I've never made a special trip looking for brass.

Then there are the scroungers, either the shooters who find they enjoy collecting brass more than shooting, or the bottom feeders who are unemployable with habits to feed.

Seems like no matter where you go there's someone scrounging. There was an old dirty guy in an equally old and dirty pickup who roamed the hills where I used to live. Now I shoot at a members only club range, and most anytime I'm there late I see a guy show up, poke around from bay to bay, and leave without shooting.

Speaking of something for nothing, I've got a pretty good hustle going on myself. All it costs me is some money for gas to get to the plant and back for 13 days straight, running ragged 12 to 20 hours a day, and I hardly see my family for two weeks. :)

Helluva good paycheck for this hustle, except payroll tattles to Uncle Sam, who takes their greedy cut. Them there's the mortgage, property taxes, utilities, food for teenagers, new roof on the house, medical bills, etc., etc..

Dang, no wonder there's nothing left, no matter how hard I work. Maybe I should buy a junky old truck and cruise all the shooting pits in the woods, looking for brass…

Some people just like the "something for nothing" idea, not considering the time and effort involved.

There are brass hounds and then there are brass hounds. I'll pick up abandoned brass when I find it, and my son used to come with me to the range and made some money picking up brass and selling it, but I've never made a special trip looking for brass.

Then there are the scroungers, either the shooters who find they enjoy collecting brass more than shooting, or the bottom feeders who are unemployable with habits to feed.

Seems like no matter where you go there's someone scrounging. There was an old dirty guy in an equally old and dirty pickup who roamed the hills where I used to live. Now I shoot at a members only club range, and most anytime I'm there late I see a guy show up, poke around from bay to bay, and leave without shooting.

Speaking of something for nothing, I've got a pretty good hustle going on myself. All it costs me is some money for gas to get to the plant and back for 13 days straight, running ragged 12 to 20 hours a day, and I hardly see my family for two weeks. :)

Helluva good paycheck for this hustle, except payroll tattles to Uncle Sam, who takes their greedy cut. Them there's the mortgage, property taxes, utilities, food for teenagers, new roof on the house, medical bills, etc., etc..

Dang, no wonder there's nothing left, no matter how hard I work. Maybe I should buy a junky old truck and cruise all the shooting pits in the woods, looking for brass…
Please don't work too many 20 hour days. It's terrible for you.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top