JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cute harmless little teddy bear,
NOT.

7mm Rem. Mag. BAR is ideal under such circumsatances.

However, If you want to really rule the hunting lodge,

"... is re-chambered for the hot new .457 WWG round which fires a 350 grain bullet at around 2,300 per second..."

I'll still take the semi-auto 7mm Mag though... that way I can get Boo-Boo, Yogi, AND Pedo Bear if they all charge me at once. (As long as it's not from different directions... For that, you'll need full-auto. (hmm... Now there's a thought - can I get a mil BAR in 7mm Rem. Mag.?)

Last Edited:
I remember a discussion here a while back that centered on personal protection against large predators while hunting. It sprang up from the deaths of a few people due to grizzly attacks, particularly while field dressing game. People were talking about something with grizzly stopping power that was somewhat convenient to carry. Solutions ranged from large pistols to sawed off lever guns.

This morning my mind was brought back to that discussion by an article in "American Rifleman" talking about a Magnum Research BFR pistol that can be had in .45-70 caliber, and customized with things like a 3" octagon barrel. This seems like a perfect solution to the previous question. What do you guys think?

View attachment 656772View attachment 656774View attachment 656775View attachment 656776
I haven't read though the thread, but this is my take on it. And this is coming from a guy that started out with a smith 29-2 when he was 14 years old. IF you can handle that big behemoth, be my guest!!!!!! It wouldn't be my first pick, nor would any of the ones you list. I personally would be better off with my XDM40 with 16 rounds at hand and extra mags (if need be), because I know I can hit what I'm aiming with that thing...
NGe8bi8.jpg
I don't know if I'd want to take my chances with the 45-70 pistol with a 3" barrel. Good luck with it...

I carry an ex-LE Benelli M1 entry when I'm in the bush in AK. Loaded with alternating buckshot and slugs. If you're going to need something for bear protection, make sure it's enough to get the job done. And remember, if you are actually going to use it, you're going to be under a great amount of stress and cocking and aiming a single action handgun isn't going to be instinctive unless you practice with it a lot.
Benelli m1 entry.JPG

Ever so wacky; I like it. A .45/70 out of a 3" barrel; I've got to imagine that is going to be loud and bright. Like a religious vision or something. :D
Which is exactly what your going to get right after that grizz gets ahold of you! Guns like this kind of remind me of a guy with huge balls and a tiny winy whacker! Just looks like a unworkable design!

As a general rule , I just reply on keeping my hunting rifle loaded and with me , in regards to dangerous animal protection when hunting.

Please note that I have never hunted in Alaska , but have hunted , hiked and camped in grizzly country here in the lower 48.
All while having a rifle with me...

For what its worth....I spend a fair amount of time with a rifle in my hands during the off season , this along with the habit of never being more than arms length away from my rifle while in the Army...makes it easy for me to handle and carry my rifle when doing other tasks....

From past experiece in saying such , I have found however that the above statement is bound to make waves....so...again this works for me.... but maybe not for others....
Andy

I understand the theory of making it lighter, but I'd prefer a bit more barrel length myself.
I used to have a 500 S&W with the 5" barrel. It was so heavy I'd just as soon carry my shotgun or a rifle carried on a sling. (I can roll the sling of my shotgun off of my left shoulder faster than I can draw a handgun from a good field holster)
I'd shoot that sucker if someone handed it to me, but I'm thinking this would be the time for muffs and plugs!

I had the pleasure of shooting one of the BFR's in 45-70 a couple of years ago. I think it was a 8-10 inch barrel model. It was actually quite pleasant/fun to shoot! Nothing recoil wise when compared to 44 magnum or 500 s&w magnum. The long barrel would be hard to deploy quickly in a self defense type situation though... the shorter barrel might help?

You darn well better make that 1st shot a "kill shot", cuz a follow up will be questionable.

Seems like the current thought up in The Great North is to trade in those BFR's for a large capacity 10mm semi auto.
I agree with that position.

Federal used to make a .44 mag load that used a 300 gr. hard cast flat nosed bullet that left the barrel at nearly the same velocity as the standard 240 gr. loading.
ME was almost 900 ft./lbs.
I always considered that "bear medicine", but as others have said, if you don't mind the carrying bulk of the BFR, even in short barreled mode, a .460 or .500 S&W mag would likely be an easier-to-deal-with choice.
I'll also "+1" Stomper's choice for the .45 Colt.
That round can do a lot of damage to its unfortunate target, without doing too much damage to the shooter.

Dean
P.S. The above being stated, I used to know a guy who was a "survivalist" in his younger days. When he went and lived in the wilds of Alaska for a year, his gun of choice was a lever action .30-30 with 170 gr. loads and he made out just fine.

Last Edited:
I have a Win 45-70, a Ruger 454 Casull, and my ccw is a 45 4" barrel. Got the 454 specifically to carry while backpacking in AK, but knew it was a compromise to carrying heavy long gun. I've practiced with a it a bit, and it does begin to bruise my palm after a dozen rounds even with a rubber grip. I haven't shot my Win that much, but enough to know it kicks reasonably hard without a recoil pad. Being familiar with all of these, I can't imagine firing a 45-70 out of a 3" barrel, let alone shooting it well, especially under duress.

The derringer in the vid seems like it would be a reasonable comparison to the sb revolver. You can see how violent it is. It almost flys out of the guys hand, and based on how he handles the long colt follow up shot, he appears to be quite competent. Even the long barrel version of the revolver will be real handful. Shooting and practicing with it will be painful. Follow up shots are not likely to be quick. Granted, adrenaline will cancel out any pain in the moment, but if a bear is really charging, you're not likely to get more than one shot off before it's on top of you. They are very fast and stealthy if they want to be.

Would be safer and easier to hunt with a friend and have them stand watch at the ready with a suitable long gun.

Last Edited:
Dude shows up for his hunting trip with a big handgun and proudly displays it to his guide, noting the power of the thing, asking, "Whaddaya think 'bout this for bear defense""

Guide politely regards the gun, examining it in his hand, then points and remarks, "Not bad, but if you want my opinion, you should really file off that front sight."

"Oh, Yeah!" exclaims the Dude, "So it comes outta the holster quicker!"

"Naw," replies the guide as he hands the gun back and turns to walk away, "So's when the grizzly takes it away from ya and crams it where the sun don't shine it don't hurt so bad."

Seriously, I'm with Andy on this one, having guided in the Bob and hunted multiple trips in Alaska. Dance with the one ya brought: Your rifle. I DID carry a stout-loaded .357, but the intent there was for finishing game, shooting a horse, or the unthinkable event where I might find myself UNDER a grizzly.

And "Current thought in the Great North" is beginning to recognize (without relinquishing a firearm) the overwhelming evidence that Bear Spray is vastly more effective toward stopping an earnest charge.

(Yes, the bear spray cans that in another story show up in feces as an indicator of the difference between Black Bear poop and Grizzly poop.)

Reminds me of this from a few years back:

Subject: Woman Stops Grizzly Attack With 22 cal. Pistol

This is a story of self control and marksmanship with an itsy bitsy shooter by a woman against a fierce predator.
Q: "What is the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself? "

A: "The Beretta Jetfire":

"While out hiking in Alberta Canada with my boyfriend we were surprised by a huge grizzly bear charging at us from out of no where.
She must have been protecting her cubs because she was extremely aggressive.
If I had not had my little Beretta Jetfire with me I would not be here today!
Just one shot to my boyfriend's knee cap was all it took…….the bear got him and I was able to escape by just walking away at a brisk pace.
It's one of the best pistols in my collection……..."

I understand the theory of making it lighter, but I'd prefer a bit more barrel length myself.
I used to have a 500 S&W with the 5" barrel. It was so heavy I'd just as soon carry my shotgun or a rifle carried on a sling. (I can roll the sling of my shotgun off of my left shoulder faster than I can draw a handgun from a good field holster)
I'd shoot that sucker if someone handed it to me, but I'm thinking this would be the time for muffs and plugs!
The pistol can be custom ordered with any length barrel and several different grips and other options.

Cute harmless little teddy bear,
NOT.

7mm Rem. Mag. BAR is ideal under such circumsatances.

However, If you want to really rule the hunting lodge,

"... is re-chambered for the hot new .457 WWG round which fires a 350 grain bullet at around 2,300 per second..."

I'll still take the semi-auto 7mm Mag though... that way I can get Boo-Boo, Yogi, AND Pedo Bear if they all charge me at once. (As long as it's not from different directions... For that, you'll need full-auto. (hmm... Now there's a thought - can I get a mil BAR in 7mm Rem. Mag.?)
At $2700 for the rifle I would have to find another solution. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top