JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I remember a discussion here a while back that centered on personal protection against large predators while hunting. It sprang up from the deaths of a few people due to grizzly attacks, particularly while field dressing game. People were talking about something with grizzly stopping power that was somewhat convenient to carry. Solutions ranged from large pistols to sawed off lever guns.

This morning my mind was brought back to that discussion by an article in "American Rifleman" talking about a Magnum Research BFR pistol that can be had in .45-70 caliber, and customized with things like a 3" octagon barrel. This seems like a perfect solution to the previous question. What do you guys think?

006_bfr3in_shop_ready_01s.jpg 013_bfr3in_holster_01s.jpg 007_bfr3in_gun-pair_01s.jpg 001_bfr3in_7-5_2016_right_01s.jpg

Last Edited:
Having your hand, wrist, arm broken or dislocated isn't something I care to experience...that being said, have you zzz shot one these cannons?

If so, details man, details and thanks....

Why not a Thompson Sub Machine Gun with a 100 round drum magazine?

Sure, it's only a meager .45 apc round, but lots and lots of em will get the job done.

Having your hand, wrist, arm broken or dislocated isn't something I care to experience...that being said, have you zzz shot one these cannons?

If so, details man, details and thanks....
Nope, I haven't shot one, but it's an intriguing idea. It would go nicely with a Marlin Guide Gun, Model 1895 in .45-70.

70455_Model-1895-Dark_Rifle_Right-Profile.png

I like using the same ammo in a pistol and rifle. My #1 Remington rolling block is chambered for .357 Mag as is my S&W 66 hunting sidearm.

Holy unburnt powder Batman, that is one BFR (Big Freakin Revolver) with a tiny spout. You could probably set a bear on fire with the muzzle flash. I would think it would be hard to utilize much of the cartridges potential with that stubby little barrel. I think I will stick with my rule of the barrel having to be at least twice as long as the ammo. :eek:

Holy unburnt powder Batman, that is one BFR (Big Freakin Revolver) with a tiny spout. You could probably set a bear on fire with the muzzle flash. I would think it would be hard to utilize much of the cartridges potential with that stubby little barrel. I think I will stick with my rule of the barrel having to be at least twice as long as the ammo. :eek:
I would personally go for the 7.5" barrel.

You had me rolling on the floor, laughing! Yeah, you could set the bear on fire with it, I'm sure.:D

For everyday trouble glock 10MM works for me,If you throw in big bears my 45/70 with 540 gr hard cast loads will stop anything that walks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top