JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm actually not sure but it's not worth my hunting privilege for a dog bone.
I wasn't asking if you were sure or not. In Oregon if you come across the (random) skull of a ram, deer, speed goat, and elk with horns or antlers attached, by law you may not posses those. You can mark your GPS location and contact ODFW if natural causes or predation may have been the demise, but it's not required. Or call OSP if you feel poaching was involved. I've picked up random lower jaws, and elk ribs for years and had a taxidermist and local tribal member use them to make obsidian knife handles. There is no requirement for you to provide your hunter number to accompany those insignificant parts. I'll share one of my knifes below. You can even buy & sell the lower mandibles without a permit on eBay. You aren't violating any Oregon law by harvesting them. You aren't going to lose any privileges. Again, if you are hiking on tribal land I would ask permission before picking anything up. If you have no use for them the squirrels, chipmunks, and other rodents will do their part by scavenging for calcium from the bones and antlers.

2225D14E-A03C-4075-8E57-20D0133CBB7C.jpeg

Last Edited:
I wasn't asking if you were sure or not. In Oregon if you come across the (random) skull of a ram, deer, speed goat, and elk with horns or antlers attached, by law you may not posses those. You can mark your GPS location and contact ODFW if natural causes or predation may have been the demise, but it's not required. Or call OSP if you feel poaching was involved. I've picked up random lower jaws, and elk ribs for years and had a taxidermist and local tribal member use them to make obsidian knife handles. There is no requirement for you to provide your hunter number to accompany those insignificant parts. I'll share one of my knifes below. You can even buy & sell the lower mandibles without a permit on eBay. You aren't violating any Oregon law by harvesting them. You aren't going to lose any privileges. Again, if you are hiking on tribal land I would ask permission before picking anything up. If you have no use for them the squirrels, chipmunks, and other rodents will do their part by scavenging for calcium from the bones and antlers.

View attachment 1258873
Nice knife!

You certainly seem much more "in tune" to this subject than I am, but it bugs me that the ODFW Regs read: "or parts thereof" (see post #20). Is there a more specific law you've seen and ODFW is just being overly broad in the hunting regulations booklet? I do think it would be quite the stretch to see someone prosecuted for a jawbone, especially in this era of "anything goes" and the police won't even show up for a property crime. Also, I would not be surprised if a licensed taxidermist or local tribal member had certain powers a simple schmuck like me doesn't.

Nice knife!

You certainly seem much more "in tune" to this subject than I am, but it bugs me that the ODFW Regs read: "or parts thereof" (see post #20). Is there a more specific law you've seen and ODFW is just being overly broad in the hunting regulations booklet? I do think it would be quite the stretch to see someone prosecuted for a jawbone, especially in this era of "anything goes" and the police won't even show up for a property crime. Also, I would not be surprised if a licensed taxidermist or local tribal member had certain powers a simple schmuck like me doesn't.
I've shown a few of my knifes to OSP game officers in the past and had no qualms about telling them I found random mandibles and ribs scattered about and took them home. They didn't even raise an eyebrow. I've scoured the rules and regs and I've not seen anything that says "NO". Also if it was even frowned upon or approaching the fringes of a big game violation eBay would have shut those listing down ages ago.

I've shown a few of my knifes to OSP game officers in the past and had no qualms about telling them I found random mandibles and ribs scattered about and took them home. They didn't even raise an eyebrow. I've scoured the rules and regs and I've not seen anything that says "NO". Also if it was even frowned upon or approaching the fringes of a big game violation eBay would have shut those listing down ages ago.
I'm not as sure as you so I wouldn't personal is all. From what I read it's not worth chancing tossing in the rig. You make a cool knife from a dog bone😊. I have no problem with any of it and you are possibly 100% right.

Dove season opened today in Arizona. Best place to hunt is over water. Here and there you'll find a water tank for cattle. Was alone, so heightened awareness. Felt like I was being watched. As I drove UTV away from hunt spot discovered I really was under scary observation. Any idea on identifying this critter would help.

IMG_20220901_075157666_HDR.jpg IMG_20220901_075134603_HDR.jpg

Dove season opened today in Arizona. Best place to hunt is over water. Here and there you'll find a water tank for cattle. Was alone, so heightened awareness. Felt like I was being watched. As I drove UTV away from hunt spot discovered I really was under scary observation. Any idea on identifying this critter would help.

View attachment 1269186 View attachment 1269188
Don't worry. He prefers eating children.

51761LIXgrL._SX294_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

View attachment 1269186 View attachment 1269188
That's Dullahan's brother, DunDullahan.

The horse-less head man...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR