JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This isn't a Northwst-specific question but I'm from the Northwest and perhaps someone here knows the answer.

I just spent a glorious week hiking in the Bighorn Mountains of northern Wyoming.

At about 8000'-ish feet I came across this jawbone. What animal do you think it's from? My guess is elk but there are other possibilities there.

It's about 13" on its longest axis. This was in a remote area - about 1.5 hours from trailhead. No carcass - this was lying alone in a field.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it...perhaps a knife handle. I was told that elk have some ivory teeth on top. I'm guessing this is the lower jawbone...?

IMG_7688-1536.jpg

I'm not sure if you should post that. If its not sheds animal parts are not to be taken for various reasons. I don't think that would be a big thing but better take a look at the laws. Good thing it's not a part of a big horn sheep cause it would be a big deal.

Excellent point.

The Deer and Elk Jawbone Collection Division of the Homeland Security Department of the Anti-Terrorism Joint Taskforce has a bot that scans the internet 24/7 looking for improperly collected cervid parts.

Government overreach I say but you can't be too careful these days.

P

Moose and Caribou have their own sub-department but it's tied to the Distant Early Warning network of the Communism Prevention League.

Full disclosure.
My brother worked in that department. He would often compare the DNA from the elk meat in freezers to any bones found in the owner's possession to ensure they came from the tagged animal.

Taken ? From where ? And for what reasons to 'not be taken'?

If 'taken' from the ground as a dried out skeletal part well, I see no problem. I mean the animal is already dead at this point....
Is it really dead? Democrats are re-writing definitions on the weekly. What if the Jaw bone identifies as a birthing person? could be kidnapping. LOL

This isn't a Northwst-specific question but I'm from the Northwest and perhaps someone here knows the answer.

I just spent a glorious week hiking in the Bighorn Mountains of northern Wyoming.

At about 8000'-ish feet I came across this jawbone. What animal do you think it's from? My guess is elk but there are other possibilities there.

It's about 13" on its longest axis. This was in a remote area - about 1.5 hours from trailhead. No carcass - this was lying alone in a field.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it...perhaps a knife handle. I was told that elk have some ivory teeth on top. I'm guessing this is the lower jawbone...?

View attachment 1233696
Since it was at about 8,000 feet elevation, it definitely is part of a juvenile piecost.

What's a piecost?

About 32 bucks - plus tax, nowadays.

I'll see myself out.

7A5F27F3-BEDF-4FCF-9FAC-D105F2CD4491.jpeg

I'm not sure if you should post that. If its not sheds animal parts are not to be taken for various reasons. I don't think that would be a big thing but better take a look at the laws. Good thing it's not a part of a big horn sheep cause it would be a big deal.
I thought it was only the skull of the game mammals that couldnt be taken? I think I heard somewhere they do enforce taking the skulls of rams...

I thought it was only the skull of the game mammals that couldnt be taken? I think I heard somewhere they do enforce taking the skulls of rams...
I thought the same thing, but just looked it up in the online Oregon regs. Looks like you have to ask permission. :eek: Sheesh.

From page 16: (orange highlighting is mine)

No person shall possess or transport any game mammal or part thereof, which has been illegally killed, found or killed for humane reasons, except lawfully obtained shed antlers, unless they have notified and received permission from personnel of the Oregon State Police or ODFW prior to transporting.

No person shall possess the horns of bighorn sheep or Rocky Mtn goat that were not taken legally during an authorized season.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top