JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let me guess. Boating accident?

(Ok. That might be a little on the dark side, hu?) ;)
If you saw her today you would think she had been in a boating accident, yes.

I've not seen her for 10 years, but she wasn't in very good shape when I last saw her - she had been living on the street/etc. ("etc.", includes being in jail for a while) for a while. I think she finally found a place/situation where she is off the street, but my daughter and I still avoid any contact whatsoever.

If you saw her today you would think she had been in a boating accident, yes.

I've not seen her for 10 years, but she wasn't in very good shape when I last saw her - she had been living on the street/etc. ("etc.", includes being in jail for a while) for a while. I think she finally found a place/situation where she is off the street, but my daughter and I still avoid any contact whatsoever.
Sorry to hear, but on the bright side.... that means you can buy as many big guns for whoever strikes your fancy as you like! Only you and the eyes peeking over the fence will ever know!!

Silver linings, hu? :s0090:

I would be VERY careful here. If you use a gift card and do not get what you ordered? May as well send them a Postal Money order in a made up name if you really are worried. If you can trust them to cover the shipment just send them the money that way. Tell them to send it to Joe Blow at your address.
This man has been in business for years. I am going to ask him if I can start using usps money orders going forward.

This man has been in business for years. I am going to ask him if I can start using usps money orders going forward.
As long as you have faith in him, and do not want what you buy tracked? Why not. He should have no trouble with you paying him by Postal M/O or a M/O you buy at a local bank, whichever is easier for you. He "may" prefer the Postal M/O as from what I have heard he can just cash them at his Post Office if he likes. For a long time the Post Office ones were what a lot of the people on the Auctions wanted for this reason. They could cash them at a Post Office rather than deposit them so they knew there was no problem with them.

As long as you have faith in him, and do not want what you buy tracked? Why not. He should have no trouble with you paying him by Postal M/O or a M/O you buy at a local bank, whichever is easier for you. He "may" prefer the Postal M/O as from what I have heard he can just cash them at his Post Office if he likes. For a long time the Post Office ones were what a lot of the people on the Auctions wanted for this reason. They could cash them at a Post Office rather than deposit them so they knew there was no problem with them.
He has a successful and incredibly efficient system built. Unfortunately it's obvious that his order/payment/shipping system is built primarily on cc sales. Which I totally understand, and you would too if your business used an efficient system like Oracle/net suite/sage, etc

I am repeating my question:
Are these cc companies already using this code, or are they still figuring out how to implement it?

He has a successful and incredibly efficient system built. Unfortunately it's obvious that his order/payment/shipping system is built primarily on cc sales. Which I totally understand, and you would too if your business used an efficient system like Oracle/net suite/sage, etc

I am repeating my question:
Are these cc companies already using this code, or are they still figuring out how to implement it?
Now that, who really knows. There is so much panic about this its hard to tell. Again though if you are buying anything on line using plastic the record is there. ALL that info is sold, as its wort money. If you really want it to not be the guy may want a few extra bucks to let you send him a M/O. It is more work for him. As he has to manually cash or deposit the damn thing. So if its worth a few bucks to have it not recorded see if he will do it for a small fee to make it worth the time he has to spend doing it the "old fashion way" :D

Has this coding already been implemented? I can't find any verification that it's already started.
Nope, not yet.

But, SOON...

cutesloth.jpg

Now that, who really knows. There is so much panic about this its hard to tell. Again though if you are buying anything on line using plastic the record is there. ALL that info is sold, as its wort money. If you really want it to not be the guy may want a few extra bucks to let you send him a M/O. It is more work for him. As he has to manually cash or deposit the damn thing. So if its worth a few bucks to have it not recorded see if he will do it for a small fee to make it worth the time he has to spend doing it the "old fashion way" :D
The guy is already getting 'a small fee' by not having to pay to process your credit card

The guy is already getting 'a small fee' by not having to pay to process your credit card
Yes he is saving some there but, it is his business. He can decide if its worth his time to have to either go deposit that M/O in the bank or go to a post office to cash it. If he wants to do this? Great. I know all the gun shops I use here price their guns cash. If you want to use plastic you have to pay what it costs them. Since people are walking in the door there makes sense to me. I have not yet seen an online operation saying they will give a discount for people to pay them some other way.

Yes he is saving some there but, it is his business. He can decide if its worth his time to have to either go deposit that M/O in the bank or go to a post office to cash it. If he wants to do this? Great. I know all the gun shops I use here price their guns cash. If you want to use plastic you have to pay what it costs them. Since people are walking in the door there makes sense to me. I have not yet seen an online operation saying they will give a discount for people to pay them some other way.
Only other options I see are either a Discover Card or having these small shops get ATM machines & get ripped off on the charge to get cash

Only other options I see are either a Discover Card or having these small shops get ATM machines & get ripped off on the charge to get cash
Its never bothered me paying cash for my guns at the shop. I have heard some gun owners get over the top angry at this. I just get the cash from the bank before I walk in to pay. Never quite understood why it bothers some so. If you don't like it pay with cash. Supposedly its against the terms of service from the plastic to do this but the shops here have been doing it for decades. So have to guess the people who let them use plastic have decided to let it go rather than tell them they can't. Again though for online shopping? The fee the plastic gets does not seem so far to be enough to make anyone think its worth offering a discount to have people send them a check. I have to guess its because none of the online retailers feel like paying staff to deal with trying to deal with the checks or M/O's for stuff they are shipping out. I have to guess they could set up to take personal checks. Have some kind of deal to scan the checks and take the money directly so they know they have the money. Have to guess the bank probably charges a fee for this though too, although I have no idea for sure. I can't even remember the last time I saw someone writing a check at a walk in store.

As I used to have an FFL, I saw how many folks used a card & wouldn't/couldn't have bought guns without a credit card & there is a substantial amount of people who don't have the cash but want the gun & they are accustomed to using their cards

As I used to have an FFL, I saw how many folks used a card & wouldn't/couldn't have bought guns without a credit card & there is a substantial amount of people who don't have the cash but want the gun & they are accustomed to using their cards
Certainly nothing wrong with that. All the shops here are glad to take plastic but, they make the buyer pay what it costs them. So as long as they are willing to pay what the store pays out the store is certainly glad to sell to them. I have seen a LOT of gun owners get real mad at this which is what confused me. I tell them so who do you expect to pay? Many are not old enough to remember that grocery stores did not take plastic for a LONG time. Reason was the profit margin was not set to pay the fee. One large chain started and then of course they all had too start. :s0092:

Many private sellers only accept USPS mo's. I used to be leery of this tact, but have grown warm to it. However they're more expensive than the 3% cc fee. Plus there's the making time to get to a PO and purchase. Time is money. The older I get, the more aware I am of losing time, which I can never get back.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top